Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've got no words... So many differently named divs that seem to do nothing. :psyduck:

Well first thing is obvious, don't use tables for content. No scratch that, don't ever use tables. Almost anything a table can be used for a box will do better. The basis of any main-content box right now is a fixed width, automatic or 100% height and margin: auto; to stick it in the middle.

You're also having some very volatile combinations in your css. Using em for borders while making almost everything float is begging for the layout to break. Using the em value for anything beyond fonts while not doubling down on it and using it for everything is begging for trouble, stick to static values. Also stop putting borders on everything, it looks like poo poo and will make adjusting your css a living nightmare as the border increases the fixed width of any box you put it on.

Also start formatting your CSS properly and stop having separate classes do the same thing. You have like 5 classes who all just set the background-color of their content to the exact same color. Re-use your divs. Proper CSS formatting looks like this btw and makes the CSS so much easier to read.

a {
example: test;
size: #;
}

Also the links in the header are dead.

I would tell you to eat poo poo and die but just about everyones first site made from scratch looks like that. Getting used to making layouts, bending CSS to your will and making 2-3 colors and simple shapes into something that looks good takes time and experience. If I were you I would start completely from scratch to try to make an entirely new site for the charity and then present it to them as an alternative for free. Leaving shoddish work behind will insure they and anyone they talk to will never want your services again.

The best tip I can give you regarding learning is to look at what works for other sites and why it works. Also get acquainted with photoshop and the concept of mock-ups, it will make your work much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Might as well look at the professional alternatives if you're planning on using a template. Free templates can easily be modified into something great with the right know-how but without it you're better off paying for the real deal.

For example some quick googling gave me:

http://themeforest.net/item/humbles...hor=humblespace

http://themeforest.net/item/eighty-...djentertainment

http://themeforest.net/item/pandora...hor=Planetshine

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: Take note of the picture idea ^^^^

I would definitely recommend adding some color immediately. As monochromatic is your goal I would recommend looking for a shade of blue similar to your font-color and then put that color as background for your header or at least your footer. Bootstrap does that kind of look very well so that's what you should be going with. Also set your body elements background-color to something that isn't the standard #fff, it distracts from your actual content which it shouldn't since it's the background.

Also it's not apparent at all at the moment that the rows are even expandable, you need to make it more obvious by either having some rows already expanded or an icon being present.

But most important of all since you're using bootstrap, turn up the width of your content! Bootstrap is one of the best if not the best framework for creating a site with responsive content. There's absolutely no reason to have the width of your content so low. Add at least another columns worth of width.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fit a price tag to every image in your front-page slider that doesn't already have one. As you currently have it a visitor has to either wait for the slider to reach one of the pictures with a price or scroll down. Why gamble on them doing that when you already have a product on every image in the slider?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If you're going to center it you'll need a box. Since you're knowledge of CSS appears to be non-existent just try putting all your content between the following tags.

code:
<div style="margin:auto; display:block; padding:0;">
Put your content here
</div>

• Locked thread