Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Creepy Goat posted:

Although I can a post a WIP of our work site re-design, mainly for feedback on the interface as it's very content-bare still.

The small logo looks like it has some hard edges on the rounded corners. Your AA might be getting cut off around the corners, or you might not have used the rounded box took or something. Favicon could use more work; it blends right in with my browser:

I didn't understand that the left/right arrows under "What We Do" and "Who We Are" were carousels for more features; I thought they just went to the next section. You have a lot of whitespace in those areas, so I'd just lay all those out vertically and not use any carousel.

This icon was hard for me to understand at first as being "computer, tablet, mobile". I'd use a more standard representation. Actually, I'm not a fan of the entire icon set.

I'd add some photos of the personnel to the "Who We Are" section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was going to write more, but I had to do something so I decided to post what I had. But yes, the icon set is bad because it cost me work to figure out what I was looking at.

My initial reading of this was a bunch of oddly shaped eggs. While initial CRTs from the 50s may have that round curve, they didn't have one that dramatic, and today's displays don't look like that either. The tablet and phone seem to be floating in space, above where the monitor is sitting on. Look at the double border at bottom of the phone, and look at where the monitor bezel meets the arm under it. It's inconsistent and feels wrong.

Compare with Dropbox's or LayerVault's representation (scroll to the bottom). Dropbox is trying to be hand-drawn and curves here and there, but is still fairly iconic. LayerVault takes a different approach with a stylized isometric view, but again, no curves. The bezel goes all the way around the device, it just doesn't exist at the bottom. Also, this is just a curiosity, both tend to use laptops.

I know you're trying to take a simplistic and stylized approach, but that doesn't mean it has to look so unnatural. Take a second look at what your monitor and iDevice actually look like, and you might be able to realize why it's so unnatural.

This is what our icon designer did for our "video displays":

Stylized, but clear.

Well, I guess you're on a white background so it doesn't really matter, but the innards of the paper and brush aren't actually white. You can also seem through the line of the paint blob through the brush, which is inconsistent with the rest of your icon's style. Well, either that or it's supposed to mark where the brush has its paint applied, in which case I'd move it away from the edge of the paint as it looks wrong.

Creepy Goat posted:

Regarding white space, we're still deciding on text and image content to go in so it will begin filling up.

Welp.

Creepy Goat posted:

I used the carousel to accommodate extra 'slides' that will likely be added in the future.

Welp. I'd urge you to think again and recommend that you just flow them out vertically. Scrolling is a lot natural for a scan than a carousel that requires a click to go to the next section, and can easily be confused with back/next arrows to go to the next top-level section, like I was.

Creepy Goat posted:

I am trying to get someone better at drawing than myself to do some illustrations for the Who We Are section too.

Illustrations of people just seem weird. Personal photos look a lot better. See something like Endless Mobile's team page for inspiration.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Creepy Goat posted:

Are there any recommended blogs or recent publications on website interaction? I'm used to physical print (brochures, portfolios, presentation briefs etc) and moving to web has a lot of similarities but far more significant differences.

I use both of these regularly:

http://uxmyths.com/
http://nngroup.com/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm mashing the SKIP INTRO button and crying. This is what you made me do, Megaspel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Can't do it with CSS alone.

Sure you can.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just so you're aware, Paint.NET Is not MS Paint. Paint.NET is as fully-featured as GIMP is.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't put each trailer in an accordion. I'd just keep them all expanded by default so that users can scan by pictures.

Perhaps also look into doing a picture grid layout similar to Netflix or iTunes album view?

The button for switching filters shouldn't erase the existing results items. Perhaps put up a tiny spinner next to the button itself while you retrieve things, then fade the ones that are different away? Or perhaps do the filtering entirely on the client?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Your website also has some anime. That's a bad design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Try Libertine Serif: https://github.com/khaledhosny/libertine

• Locked thread