Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I just launched an e-commerce website (with a companion blog) entirely devoted to selling framed silver dollar coins. It's run through Shopify, and I'm currently using one of their free templates because I know very little about web design. It's very barebones at the minute, and I'm wondering if it's too minimalist. My site is not necessarily aimed at coin collectors, but more towards people who might have a passing interest in coins (~the general public), so I'd like it to be broadly accessible/appealing. I guess I'm looking for feedback on the general layout of the site, my copy, and whether I should work on getting better pictures. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

http://www.silverdollarco.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I recently redesigned the front page of my e-commerce website and I'd love some feedback on how it looks. I've been following the hero graphic example set by a few another e-commerce sites but have run into some constraints due to the template I'm working with. I'm still not entirely sure whether I should stick with this or switch to a slideshow of my products for the hero graphic instead. Any advice is gratefully received.

(I know last time somebody recommended I ditch the dark borders, but I just couldn't get comfortable with all that conspicuous blank space on the sides).

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks for the reply, that's actually extremely helpful. As you can probably tell, I don't have much web design experience so I was pretty much just ripping off this site. I'll get to work on your suggestions and post again when the site's updated.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Site updated. Is this the right direction? I just slapped it together quickly, still need to clean up pictures and text. One thing I had trouble with was finding a decent font for my slides. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I actually am already using a Shopify template, I had just mutilated it beyond recognition. Most of the Shopify templates seem to be more for artsy, Etsy-type stores aimed at young people, whereas my target demographic is pretty much white males age 40-60.

I tried to follow most of Lumpy's suggestions, but Shopify seems to insist on slides taking up the top of the page. Thoughts on the color scheme now? I think black slides make a better contrast with the silver coins than would white slides.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Just decided to drop the header's tagline. I'm still unhappy with the slide font though—are there any nicer fonts that are widely-used in web design?

The coins' darker hue derives from tarnishing (Peace dollars also tend to have a darker luster because of the Mint's chemical treatment of the planchets). The 1896 Morgan that's featured on the front page provides a good example of what a typical silver dollar would look like if it was minted today. The more colorful coins have something called toning, which is basically a catch-all term for any metal discoloration resulting from natural chemical reactions (usually sulfur reacting with the silver).

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 13, 2013

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Oh My Science posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the solid black background on all your images, including the header.

Alright here's a side-by-side comparison:

While the transparent backgrounds may look better from a design perspective (it definitely looks more professional to me), I'm still leaning towards black because it seems to bring out the luster of the coins more. Plus transparent backgrounds mean I have to mess around with the magic wand tool.

Lumpy posted:

Fonts are easy... just look at hundreds and hundreds until you find the one that exactly matches the mood, tone, and message you wish to send :v:

More than font though, your images lack proper layout. I've posted your image, then your image with the major blocks outlined, and some of the spaces to nearby blocks. You'll note a large variety of seemingly random numbers. The bottom image is your image, but with things moved around a bit. The right and left margins are 64px, text is spaced 32px (which is 0.5 of the left & right margins!) You'll note that the bullets don't count... pretend they are not there when aligning text. So same type and image, but on a grid. To my eye it looks much cleaner. While you should not always force everything to line up based on strict mathematical rules, using them as a starting point, especially when first learning, is a good way to ensure you have something nice as a base: you can then tweak by eye as needed.

Is there a good free image-editing program that makes this sort of thing easy? I've been working with Paint.net but I'm not sure if it really has the capability to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I ended up going with a slightly lighter black—a little less harsh than before but still dark enough to bring out the coins' color. A big thanks to everybody who gave me feedback on my site. It's not perfect by any means, but I think it's looking a lot better than what I came in here with.

• Locked thread