Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it all right to ask for typography advice in this thread or should I go somewhere else for that? I need help picking out fonts because I'm a font scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
All right, then!

I've got this font, Octant.

It's a display font I'm using for a grant total of two purposes, the title/logo of the site and the navigation menu (and that second one is up in the air). I'm looking for good, preferably free, webfonts to use alongside it: a body typeface and a secondary display typeface for headings. And here is where I'm stuck.

I would like the body typeface to be a serif, because the site in question needs to have an old-fashioned, "old book" kind of feel to it. The obvious "free typeface" solution for that is Old Standard TT, but what would be a good secondary display typeface? All the san serifs I see suggested as matches for Old Standard TT are, uh, a little too modern-looking for the look I'm going for. I feel like the likes of Oswald, Beubas Neu, League Gothic etc. are too much of a mismatch for Octant to work.

Other alternatives for the body typeface are Linden Hill, Sorts Mill Goudy and Goudy Bookletter 1911. I was thinking Playfair Display would make a good secondary typeface, but I am a typography scrub and don't trust my instincts.

Another possibility I'm tossing around now is Octant, Cinzel Decorative and Sorts Mill Goudy.

I would love input! And recommendations of non-free typefaces are fine, as long as I can get a regular/italic/bold/bold italic package for less than USD 50. I don't necessarily need weights other than regular for the body typeface, but I very much need true italics.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 21, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Sorts Mill Goudy is actually perfect for my needs, looking at it (I fired up Illustrator and did some quick mock-ups). The body copy is going to be set at 15pt/20px, so a relatively large size.

Thanks for the help!

• Locked thread