Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
How am I doin'?

I am trying to go for a really muted color palette, and I think I am at a good spot right now. Can you see anything incredibly obvious in the source that I am messing up/doing wrong or outdated-like? Even though I threw in the Bootstrap CSS to pretty up the page a little bit, this is one of the first designs I've done that doesn't fully mimic what they go for in the Bootstrap documentation.

It's my Tumblr blog about video games and other things I'm doing. Very small reader base. None too critical of design, so I have no idea if I'm doing something interesting or not.

blog.zfleeman.com

Website | YouTube | Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Lumpy posted:

You are using a monospaced font for your body copy. Do not do that. Monospaced type is harder to read that proportional fonts, and that's why 99.9999% of every book, magazine, well-designed website, etc. does not use monospaced body copy.

Line lengths are a little long, but not too bad, if you upped the font size to something more legible like 16px, it would be just about right.

It seems some of your posts lack titles, so the only visual cue that you are in a new post is the smallish date block, which you may want to address.

All in all though, it's simple and doesn't make me want to die when I visit the page, so it's better than most websites =)

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. I'll be switching to something in the Serif section of CSS Font Stack. Making my text 16px will look nice for the long line lengths as well.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I am just plain goofin' with Bootstrap on my blog. I threw out a lot of the old style, and pretty much filled my not-very-formatted-at-all text, video and photo posts into a grid. If you poke around the rest of my website, you'll get an idea for the style (or lack thereof) that I'm going for.

How would you recommend I mess around with the formatting of my individual posts to make them appear more segmented? I had different background colors for each type of post, but that was a lot more work than it was worth.

blog.zfleeman.com

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I like your website. I agree with these other people that the font is a bit small, though, I know nothing about fonts. Also, some responsiveness would be a nice touch. It really is staggering how many idiots browse the web on their phones.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Hey-o, everybody.

Not a huge deal, but I have images in this post, and they are being stretched terribly whenever the page responds to a larger screen. I didn't think this would be a problem because I just set the width=100% on the images, but it looks like the height isn't moving.

Here's a paste.

Also, I get really into making websites for like a couple weeks every few months, and then I forget everything immediately, so I may be butchering my vocabulary/not know what I'm talking about. I've been away from bootstrap for a while.

• Locked thread