Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ron Don Volante posted:

I recently redesigned the front page of my e-commerce website and I'd love some feedback on how it looks. I've been following the hero graphic example set by a few another e-commerce sites but have run into some constraints due to the template I'm working with. I'm still not entirely sure whether I should stick with this or switch to a slideshow of my products for the hero graphic instead. Any advice is gratefully received.

(I know last time somebody recommended I ditch the dark borders, but I just couldn't get comfortable with all that conspicuous blank space on the sides).

My 30 second review:

• Header is way too tall.
  • No 'Contact Us' link or contact info anywhere near the top of the page. This is a cardinal sin.
  • That "The #1 Source... " pill should go away. It's not well designed, and you already have a tagline up top there in the header.
  • I get that you are selling silver, but the color scheme is too muddled.
  • The 'Click to Read More About Us' is poorly placed, inconsistent with the rest of the site, and is redundant. There's an 'about us' link in the nav
  • Some things have square corners. Some have rounded corners... why?
  • The background should either be darker or much lighter.
  • The image of the pile of coins should go away: you've already told me many times you sell coins.
  • Not sure if you intend that section under the header to be a graphic, but the way it's scaled when you resize the browser down makes it illegible on mobile devices.

I know I probably sound like a douche-bag, but the design is very "amateurish". I don't see any consistent spacing or grid, I see arbitrary colors, and strange typographic choices.

I threw together a not very good comp to illustrate some of these things. This is by no means a "good" design: but it has some stuff to build off of. Your 'Featured' products give us a natural grid, so that's used as a base for the layout. Typography is mainly serifs: Banks use serifs for the most part because it screams "trust". The shopping cart and account stuff is set in a different face, to indicate it's related to each other, and has a different purpose than the other links (commerce vs. content) The big confusing part in the middle has been replaced with the parts users would want to know, and the rest has been replaced with the whole reason they came here: Silver Dollars!! I can immediately see stuff for sale, and there's a call to action for me to SHOP, which is what *you* want!

This is obviously a bit to sterile, and there was no thought to color other than "use very little" but from a UI perspective, it's a solid starting point: USERS will like this better because they want two things when they visit your page: to buy coins, or to get in touch with you about an order. They get to those a lot sooner here. YOU will like this better because it ives your users what they want, and presents them shopping opportunities sooner.

Anyway, sorry for sounding mean: I don't intend to, and I hope my ramblings help.

[EDIT} OOPS! I forgot to export that image w/o transparency... the background should mainly be white. :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ron Don Volante posted:

Site updated. Is this the right direction? I just slapped it together quickly, still need to clean up pictures and text. One thing I had trouble with was finding a decent font for my slides. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I actually am already using a Shopify template, I had just mutilated it beyond recognition. Most of the Shopify templates seem to be more for artsy, Etsy-type stores aimed at young people, whereas my target demographic is pretty much white males age 40-60.

I tried to follow most of Lumpy's suggestions, but Shopify seems to insist on slides taking up the top of the page. Thoughts on the color scheme now? I think black slides make a better contrast with the silver coins than would white slides.

Much improved, but your header is still too tall =)

I'd also try a much lighter BG color. Mess around with it in your browser's dev tools till you find one you like. Start around #e6e8e9 and mess with hue and lightness from there. I just think that dark background is too "heavy" for the page, but that's just my personal preference.

[EDIT] Also, why do most of the coins look goldish? Do they just photograph that way, or does silver tarnish to that color?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ron Don Volante posted:

Just decided to drop the header's tagline. I'm still unhappy with the slide font though—are there any nicer fonts that are widely-used in web design?

The coins' darker hue derives from tarnishing (Peace dollars also tend to have a darker luster because of the Mint's chemical treatment of the planchets). The 1896 Morgan that's featured on the front page provides a good example of what a typical silver dollar would look like if it was minted today. The more colorful coins have something called toning, which is basically a catch-all term for any metal discoloration resulting from natural chemical reactions (usually sulfur reacting with the silver).

Fonts are easy... just look at hundreds and hundreds until you find the one that exactly matches the mood, tone, and message you wish to send :v:

More than font though, your images lack proper layout. I've posted your image, then your image with the major blocks outlined, and some of the spaces to nearby blocks. You'll note a large variety of seemingly random numbers. The bottom image is your image, but with things moved around a bit. The right and left margins are 64px, text is spaced 32px (which is 0.5 of the left & right margins!) You'll note that the bullets don't count... pretend they are not there when aligning text. So same type and image, but on a grid. To my eye it looks much cleaner. While you should not always force everything to line up based on strict mathematical rules, using them as a starting point, especially when first learning, is a good way to ensure you have something nice as a base: you can then tweak by eye as needed.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is there a good free image-editing program that makes this sort of thing easy? I've been working with Paint.net but I'm not sure if it really has the capability to do that.

Free? Yes. Good? That is a matter of opinion. You may be lucky in that you are suffering through Paint, so everything else will seem awesome. Check out GIMP, which is open-source so it's free, and it has a really impressive feature set.

http://www.gimp.org/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just so you're aware, Paint.NET Is not MS Paint. Paint.NET is as fully-featured as GIMP is.

My deepest apologies.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

samglover posted:

According to this web designer, it's rarely a good idea to use black black in web design. I always use #111, instead, and I definitely think it looks better. The answer might just be to drop the black and use #111 or #222, instead. You've got a gray page, not a black-and-white one, and maybe the black around the coins is just too harsh.

Oh man, thank you for posting that link. I read that article (which is wonderful) back when it was first published, and a few weeks ago I wanted to find it again and for the life of me could not get the right google-fu to do so.

So another design tip: bookmark everything! I now have a nice nested folder structure for design and development and I bookmark the bejesus of everything I find useful, because invariably, if I don't, I want to read it again and can't find it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
To reiterate what Suspicious Dish said: this is screaming for a "card" grid interface with images. Have a toggle between a list view and that.

\/\/ check your PMs!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 19, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pipes! posted:

Here is a nice post about the "Dribbblisation of design", discussing both how echo chambers are dangerous places, and it tends to produce things that look pretty, but don't function well:
http://insideintercom.io/the-dribbblisation-of-design/

No way dude. My UI is awesome if 8712 people clicked a button liking that square image showing a crop of part of a button.

That article is a very good read. I find good stuff (like that!) to read here very frequently, and hopefully others will too: http://sidebar.io/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jackpot posted:

Fourth link down there's an article about Flexbox, and everybody needs to read it because holy poo poo is this gonna be fun when it's fully supported (which it will be, as soon as IE11 rolls out). We had a meeting about this a month or so back, it's pretty drat slick. Sticky footers, input styling, vertical centering...all kinds of poo poo we've been hacking for the past eight years is gonna be a whole lot easier.

I think you meant: "..which it will be, as soon as IE11 rolls out, and it's widely adopted, which will be several years later."

:cry:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I wasn't expecting anyone would spend the time to wade through the jumbled mess of HTML and CSS I have there! Its pretty much the result of a combination of my inexperience, changing my design a bunch of times, experimenting with new ideas as I think of them, big gaps between working on it, and not having spent any time cleaning up. I expect I'll have to re-write everything from scratch to fix it, but I figured it would be best to get the visual aspects of the design figured out first. I'll work on implementing those suggestions next time I'm at work.

Here's Skiant's markup with just a few CSS rules. I'm by no means saying your page should look like this, but you should always start with minimal markup like his, and then the barest minimum of styling to make things usable. This page is from a UI perspective, "complete". Navigation looks like navigation and tells them where they are without being distracting, the header is visually distinct from the content, and the text is legible and easy to read. Your graphic design should complement a base like this, rather than "pretty first", especially when you are just getting started.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Its been a while, but I've updated my site again based off the feedback from here.

1. I've re-written the markup based off the structure Skiant posted, with a few deviations. I ran into some sort of issue (which I think involves specificity) with the class tags on <nav> and <li> which I haven't figured out yet. But I'd like to get feedback over the weekend so I have them all on <a> for now (just noticed I missed one :doh:). I also used <section> instead of a <div>, since as near as I can tell from the vague definition that's the semantic tag most appropriate for the content I have in it.

2. I've waffled back and forth between keeping the background texture and going with a solid dark grey background. I'm not really very happy with either, but haven't been able to come up with something I like better.

3. Contrast issue on nav bar background/text resolved.

4. Paragraph and Header text now on the same margins

5. Title now has the same treatment as the rest of the page

6. When rebuilding the site I tried to follow Lumpy's advice and get the basic layout and functionality with minimal markup. Result was this:

http://web.stcloudstate.edu/mtle/basic

Adding a few more style properties gets me to a revision of my previous design:

http://web.stcloudstate.edu/mtle/

Much improved, but I personally prefer the basic version. The bubble buttons visually and physically disconnect themselves from the rest of the page, where in the basic version, they act almost like tabs. Try flipping the active / inactive colors so the active one merges with the main content area and reinforces the users sense of place.

I'll take a look on something other than my iPad to check out your markup and so on, but you've done a nice job.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

codyclarke posted:

I'd love to get some thoughts on the design of my movie blog, Smug Film. It's been around since January 2013, so I've been staring at it since then, and as such, can't really look at it objectively anymore. I'm curious how well everything looks and feels and reads to a new visitor. Overall I like it, but I know that some tweaks could make it better. I'd like to know what areas might feel confusing or awkward or distracting. We have a ton of content—over 200 posts, averaging at about 1000 words each—and I'd like the site to be a place someone could kill a lot of time reading pieces.

Just a quickie, because I'm on my phone, but look at the site in a phone. Your navigation is illegible, bylines are illegible, and your body copy is very hard to read. Body copy should be at least 16px on the web. Overall though, the site works pretty well: your content is front and center, and nothing makes me cringe, which is rare.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

codyclarke posted:

Thanks, great point. We'll start working on building a good mobile site soon.

You mean "making your existing site responsive." At least, that's what you hopefully mean...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

zfleeman posted:

How am I doin'?

I am trying to go for a really muted color palette, and I think I am at a good spot right now. Can you see anything incredibly obvious in the source that I am messing up/doing wrong or outdated-like? Even though I threw in the Bootstrap CSS to pretty up the page a little bit, this is one of the first designs I've done that doesn't fully mimic what they go for in the Bootstrap documentation.

It's my Tumblr blog about video games and other things I'm doing. Very small reader base. None too critical of design, so I have no idea if I'm doing something interesting or not.

blog.zfleeman.com

You are using a monospaced font for your body copy. Do not do that. Monospaced type is harder to read that proportional fonts, and that's why 99.9999% of every book, magazine, well-designed website, etc. does not use monospaced body copy.

Line lengths are a little long, but not too bad, if you upped the font size to something more legible like 16px, it would be just about right.

It seems some of your posts lack titles, so the only visual cue that you are in a new post is the smallish date block, which you may want to address.

All in all though, it's simple and doesn't make me want to die when I visit the page, so it's better than most websites =)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

sim posted:

Thanks! The feedback really helped. I stole the full-width image+caption design from Medium. Actually, I realized I'm basically trying to duplicate Medium, on Wordpress. I also put one ad back in, at the end of the post, using responsive Adsense.

Look much better. Now change your link decorations so they don't look like somebody is pointing out spelling errors.

May I suggest this:

code:
.post-content a, .post-content a:visited, .post-content a:hover, .post-content a:active {
    color: #BE1212;
    border-bottom: 1px dotted #BE1212;
}
This picks up the color from your header title image: consistency!

Then do something cool like one of these because why not? http://tympanus.net/Development/InlineAnchorStyles/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

zfleeman posted:

I am just plain goofin' with Bootstrap on my blog. I threw out a lot of the old style, and pretty much filled my not-very-formatted-at-all text, video and photo posts into a grid. If you poke around the rest of my website, you'll get an idea for the style (or lack thereof) that I'm going for.

How would you recommend I mess around with the formatting of my individual posts to make them appear more segmented? I had different background colors for each type of post, but that was a lot more work than it was worth.

blog.zfleeman.com

Whitespace. The odd (to my UI guy mind) lack of title and meta info to the right means the column of text reads as one big thing. Without changing layout or content, whitespace is going to be about the only thing you can do. Add something like 5em margin-bottom on .row (since your posts don't have their own class, this might mess up other things, so add a class to your posts!) and see what it looks like, then adjust.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

awesomeolion posted:

Hello everyone! I would really appreciate some feedback. I am a newbie trying to get into freelance and I recently designed and developed my portfolio site. The goal is to instil a sense of web design and development competence when potential freelance clients visit my site.

http://aidanwaite.com

I am old. This means my eyes are not what they were back when I was your age. I have a very, very hard time reading your copy for two reasons:

1. It's too small. Your primary content shouldn't be set less than 16px unless you have a really good reason to do so.

2. The typeface you chose is a very bad choice for body copy. It's thick characters make reading it an effort, which is compounded by it's small size. You have chosen two "headline" fonts, when you want a headline font and a copy font. kedo's suggestion of Open Sans is a solid one.

Also seconding the "why is it so skinny" comments. Your line-lengths are too short for no reason! I tend to give my content wrappers a max-width that will keep the line lengths for getting past three alphabets wide, but other than that, let it size to the browser window. Then you are a good chunk of the way to responsive and can tweak things when they start to look "weird" as you shrink the window down.

Not a bad site, by any means, but really think about typography, and think of us old people!

awesomeolion posted:

As an aside, how much would you say I should reasonable charge to design and develop a Wordpress site? (ballpark figure, ignoring functionality and project specifics).

Call an auto repair shop and say "ignoring what's wrong with my car or what kind it is, how much will it cost to fix it?" That's the answer to that question :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Dave posted:

Yeah that's really just you dude. Gmail is fine.

Yeah, gmail is absolutely okay. AOL or Hotmail on the other hand....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pfox posted:

Intro

I developed an online game that's essentially a free browser-based civilization. I would really like to boost conversion and retention. Right now my splash page scares over 80% of visitors away, and there's progressively less retention the deeper people get into the site.

Design Criteria
  • The initial pages should convince people to try it out, not scare potential players away
  • The game should feel exciting

Images

Splash page

Going to start with this one. Think about the humans who got here. How did they get here, and why did they come here? Likely there are two use cases:

1. Someone followed a link and wants to learn about the game
2. Someone who plays the game needs to log in.

Right now this page doesn't let #2 do this w/o extra clicks. Why isn't there a small login form at the top?

As for #1:

The carousel is awful. It's too busy, visually distracting, and offers little actual content. The copy is "meh".

The rest of the page looks like a bland phone company or marketing site or something. Does this page look fun? Nope. So I'm expecting a poorly designed, bland experience from your game. This is probably not what you want.

Grab me. Sell me your game in one sentence. One bigass sentence that tells me the essence of your game. Have an image, probably as a background the giant sentence sits on, that captures the "essence" of your game. It's probably not a screenshot, as your screenshots are not sexy (and that's Okay!). Do a gogole image search for "space battle". That's what you are selling: the idea of awesome epic battles.

If you grab me, I'll scroll down to read the minimal copy you have describing a bit more of what to expect when I sign up and a screenshot or two. I'll then fill out the signup form just under that. Don't make me work to sign up.

So three sections on that page: Grab me. Hook Me. Sign me up.

Hire a designer!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pfox posted:

Great advice, thanks very much!

Man, if only. This is just a hobby project with a budget of approximately $0, so hiring a designer isn't in the realm of the possible (if I'm going to exceed my budget, it's going to be on in-game art).

Some designers will work for free / cheap if they think your project is fun. Hell, I'll mock something up for you this weekend! (I like space games.)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
The Dave is wise.

What do your users want? To get a cab. Anything that isn't helping them do that is in their way. Here's a 5 min iPhone5 screen mockup that shows a "not perfect but pretty decent" version of your content. I know exactly what I can do (get a real cab!) and I clearly see how to go about it (call that number or use that form) all on a single iPhone screen. It's not going to win any design awards, but it's something that I think is a good starting point. If I need to read more about you or whatever, I'll scroll down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

painted bird posted:

Is it all right to ask for typography advice in this thread or should I go somewhere else for that? I need help picking out fonts because I'm a font scrub.

Pro Tip: pick good ones :colbert:

• Locked thread