Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the biggest issue is the responsiveness. And with a site so small and basic it shouldn't be that hard. The whole site feels very small, I actually increased the zoom in my browser by like 25% and had an easier time reading things and it overall felt better.

Is that one site all of a portfolio that you have? Is there any other thing you do that could show off your coding abilities. In your bio you talk about your experiences but then just list one very plain looking site as an example and it doesn't sell me at all.

I find the little 3d thing cheesy but maybe it would wow some simple-minded clients. The "Current Status" this unnecessary imo unless you are actually someone that is in-demand.

If you're contact link is just a mailto maybe the nav item should just be linked to your e-mail and not that block that doesn't really provide any additional details.

I'm almost thinking that your bio section should be worked into your intro area hero and then go down into your portfolio examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also regarding pricing, IMO, the right way to do it is hourly with milestone checkpoints.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Definitely add time for research / exploration into your contract as well.

Warning: Small companies never want to pay contracts like this, and that's okay. They're not worth your time. However when you're getting started, sometimes you need to take lovely jobs to build a portfolio.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

samglover posted:

If you own yourname.com, use that for your email. When I see gmail.com, I think hobbyist.

Yeah that's really just you dude. Gmail is fine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

awesomeolion posted:

Thanks again, much appreciated y'all! Samglover, I think I'll go for hobbyist@aidanwaite.com :j:

Again, that was dumb advice, so don't just bend to it if you don't want to.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So right off the bat, looking at your page for 5 seconds, it's extremely uninviting.

- Ditch the carousel, people are more likely to scroll and see all the images laid out throughout the page then sit then and cycle through.
- Reconfigure the copy. Your first bullet point about "Build an Empire" would be a fantastic intro headline + first paragraph. I think you should look into each of those bullet points representing a row of content with the images from the carousel.
- The nav is awful. All of the focus is drawn to your social icons, are they the most important thing you want a visitors to do? (No.) Also the top level bar with Home / Contact is just unnecessary
- Not sure any of those second lines of copy with the nav items is necessary.
- Stuff like "WWAAAAARRRRR" and "Play the game already" comes off as really amateur. I would avoid that tone.
- Contact page is all errors

That's just the first round of quick stuff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pfox posted:

I've been tinkering a bit, how is this?

That design appeals to logins more than signups imo. If you need new players, why should they play? What's the value proposition? Cramming it into the bottom corner isn't selling anything. It's fine to not have a form on the page and just pop up a modal when a user clicks on a 'login' button in the navbar. Better yet is a login page people can just bookmark if they really want a one step process but you want to use the page for marketing purposes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My intent isn't to be mean, I swear:

Style-wise it has what feels like a dated look. Soft gradient, shadows, and big containers with rounded rectangles currently feel like a thing of the past, regardless if there's anything necessarily wrong with them.

UX-wise, there's a lot left to be desired. Looking at it on desktop, maybe you should try a more responsive approach so you aren't catering to the mobile audience on all screen sizes. All of your information just sort of bleeds into each other. You can use more spacings to help visitor's eyes figure out where things are a little easier. I don't know if your first two paragraphs are really necessary, or the blue box style that comes with it.

Advice: Focus all your attention on the input fields, as I assume that's the most important thing for your user. Then maybe drop everything else into a multi column layout with nice clean headers and icons.

The second page is all about two things, the price, and how to contact. So make that your focus.

I'm doing an awful job of exactly how to get there, but a lot of it would be de-cluttering, and prioritizing the right information.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Edit: actually not sure soliciting work is kosher in this thread.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like the spacing of things is off, too big and spaced out. The thumbnails for each project are not exciting, and it might be worth having some glanceable way to know what you did on it. If I was hiring you I would probably care about your skills before your clients but that might be subjective and also not super important.

What kind of role are you looking for? You seem to put UX design first when talking about your skill set, but you don't really show off prototyping, iteration, or research, and I get more of a front end dev vibe.

Also fwiw mobile design kind of seems like an after thought.

• Locked thread