Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
General
I think that you can get rid of the homepage entirely - default to the portfolio page. When you're showing off your work, put as little inbetween your viewers and your work as possible.

The grass in your header image doesn't go all the way across my screen - if you can figure a way to stretch that, it'd be better. Do similarly for the footer, if you can. Something visual to set it apart from the rest of the page would be great, like a different background color. Big, tall footers are hip right now, you might go that route.

Maybe remove "powered by wordpress"? It takes away from the work you put in to customize the page, and the service you're selling, unless you change your pitch a bit to talk about how you're a wordpress customizer.

You could probably spice up the font you use for titles a bit - grab a web font somewhere, or at the very least use something sans-serif and modern for the fallback. I'm viewing it from Firefox 23, and the custom font you don't have set up ("Marker Felt").

e: get rid of your search box. You don't have enough content that people will be searching effectively with it. It also only seems to search blogposts at the moment.

Bio Page
I'd also put some background color behind the text on your bio page. Use the same color as the background you use for portfolio items. On the bio page, change the title from "Bio" to "Reed Buck", and increase the size a bit.

Portfolio
I think you should either go with the lightbox when you click on items in your portfolio, or drive people to a different page - not both. I think you'll probably want to do the latter, unless you can provide unique links to lightboxed stuff, if that makes sense. You'd do well to add some detail describing your work, too - how big the customer was, how long your timeline was, and whether you just did design, or implementation, or both

Contact
Contact forms are... lame, in my opinion. Give them an email address, a facebook page, a twitter account, and maybe a phone number, and let them contact you on time. Just be responsible about answering in a timely manner!

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

My knee jerk reaction to that is that while it's an interesting idea, it's not really that good for what you want to do. You're looking to build a portfolio to show off your animations, right? Don't make the portfolio be the animation - make it a simple, elegant, easy vehicle for people to see your existing work. Not a distraction.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just so you're aware, Paint.NET Is not MS Paint. Paint.NET is as fully-featured as GIMP is.

Well, that's a bit of an overstatement.

Ron Von - I think what we're all (not exactly) dancing around here is that you're probably better off doing this with HTML rather than just images. Some basic HTML/CSS tutorials can help you with that, but there is definitely a learning curve.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Additionally, on your home page, you have 3 text sections below User Experienc, Information Architecture, and Design. Left align the text in those paragraphs, they'll be easier to read. You can probably leave the title centered if it looks okay.

I agree that the contact form isn't good enough - put a simple contact section up with an email address, and your twitter handle. Duplicate them in a footer, too.

Really like what you've done so far, it's pretty well balanced. A question for you (and maybe other designers in this thread, too) - how do you evaluate webfonts in your designs before purchasing them? I feel like it'd be a bit of a crapshoot, and I really like to see the typeface in context before I buy.

• Locked thread