Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
You mentioned the paragraph text maybe being too dense, I think I'd agree, but less because of the line height and more because of how long they are. Some of your sentences are 17-18 words long, that's a bit much for paragraph text; aim for 10-12 at the most. If you plan on having images to break up the flow of the paragraphs that could help too.

While I'm here, if anyone would trouble themselves to take a look at my portfolio website I'd be grateful. Any critique, no matter how minor, would be great. I sort of rushed it because I'm attending a career fair tomorrow which is a week earlier than I originally planned, but for having knocked it out in two days I'm decently happy with how it turned out.

http://www.jereddanielson.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

Minor and rushed critique incoming!

• In your navigation, make the entire tab clickable, not just the word.
• Don't indent text on the web. Space paragraphs out with margins instead.
• Don't embed your resume in an <object> tag. In fact, don't embed it. Put it in HTML in addition to including a PDF download link.
• Give everything a bit more space, specifically vertically. Feels claustrophobic. Your header is way too close to your content, as is your footer. Add vertical padding within your footer too.
• Give your typography some consistency. Your body copy on your About page is a different size than on portfolio pages. I might adopt your caption style everywhere, as it feels the nicest. The white text feels a little awkward and jarring.
• Check things @ mobile dimensions – you have a lot of stuff not lining up or running off the page (example: http://imgur.com/oNdQC45). You should have consistent gutters on either side of the page.

All good advice, thanks.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I like that it's to the point and unpretentious. The little three.js demo will probably impress some people, but be careful - anyone familiar with three.js (like me) will immediately recognize it as one of the examples from threejs.org, which might come off as a little lazy and/or less than competent. Have some fun and make something cool that's entirely your own.

I think the font you're using for the body copy and footer is too heavy, condensed, and small; I'd go with something lighter, larger, and more legible. Remember, the more time people will spend reading a chunk of text, the more readable it needs to be. I also think your two used fonts are way too similar, they look practically identical so I dunno why you'd even bother to have two. Pick two fonts that are different enough to be visually interesting and contrast with each other, but are still complimentary. Super quick example but note how this Fast Company article features different fonts each for headlines, headers, body copy, and pull quotes, which are all noticeably different yet go well together. Typography is arguably the most important aspect of web design, so give it a lot of love!

Final nitpick, but your site isn't responsive at all, I did some window resizings and opened it on mobile and it doesn't reflow at all. Definitely something you want your portfolio site to do!

Hope that helps, you're off to a good start in general.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Looks a lot better, nice work!

zfleeman posted:

It really is staggering how many idiots browse the web on their phones.
I hope this is sarcasm.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
N-n-n-n-necropost! But there's no other good web design critique threads out there so...

I just rewrote my website and would love any opinions on it. I'm actively looking for work so I need to put my best foot forward here.

https://jered.io

• Locked thread