Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
What other fish would you keep with goldfish?

I always recommend white clouds and rosyreds... but thinking if paradise fish and possibly buenos aires tetras, though I'm not sure how boisterous they get. CPDs- but thinking they are too small and will get more stressed out/possibly eaten by goldies.
The argument is that goldfish are messy poop factories and degrade water condition more than tropical fish- but assuming you keep goldfish in proper conditions aka cycled tank with regular pwc/ no ammonia, shouldnt it be okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Malalol posted:

I always recommend white clouds and rosyreds... but thinking if paradise fish and possibly buenos aires tetras, though I'm not sure how boisterous they get. CPDs- but thinking they are too small and will get more stressed out/possibly eaten by goldies.
The argument is that goldfish are messy poop factories and degrade water condition more than tropical fish- but assuming you keep goldfish in proper conditions aka cycled tank with regular pwc/ no ammonia, shouldnt it be okay?

IMO, nothing. If you want variety in a goldfish tank, well, there's plenty of different varieties and color combinations of fancy goldfish. Realistically speaking, any cold-water fish would do just fine, so long as they're not small enough to end up in goldfish stomachs (white clouds are that small, if you take care of your goldies). I've known people to raise bluegill and yellow-bellied perch in tanks with goldfish (not the fancy types, more like adult comets). It'd be just fine, so long as you allow proper tank volume per goldfish (i.e. plan on at least 20g of tank per adult goldfish, and more than that eventually), and stick to fish that are non-aggressive and unlikely to out-compete the goldfish for food, presuming you're keeping fancy goldfish, which are dumb, slow, and delicate.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Malalol posted:

Paradise fish are assholes on a grand scale. Wouldn't recommend them with goldfish unless you like the finless look.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Malalol posted:

those otos going to town in that gifs killing me oh my god hahaha i love them.
Ive got an ac110 on a 20g for goldfish and what the hell poop man. I dont even FEED THEM regularly >: ( i do want fancy goldfish eventually though. one or two. ...or three. or a lot of chubbykins.

Those aren't otos; they're Siamese algae eaters. That goldfish is bigger than you think. :)

As for fish to keep with goldfish, most advice states that you can't keep anything other than goldfish together. I have a bristlenose pleco, flag fish, dojo loaches, and Siamese algae eaters together. The flag fish are kind of dicks, butthey very rarely nip at the goldfishes' fins, and even then the damage is minimal. All of these fish do okay at lower temperatures but I heat the tank in winter.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 25, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Lacrosse posted:

Those aren't otos; they're Siamese algae eaters. That goldfish is bigger than you think. :)

i am suddenly terrified at that goldfish.

The Oncoming Storm
Jan 21, 2012

Disregard fangirls, acquire yellow tree fruit.
GODDAMNIT.

The last of the B. Macrostoma died today. He got sick very quickly, and I didn't know what to do. We noticed his water was a little too warm the other night, and he was lethargic, so we turned the thermostat down. Next day we did a 30% water change with a thorough vacuuming. He still seemed off. Not eating much. I attempted to feed him some bloodworms but he ignored them. Later, my gf noted that his belly looked fat and presumed he'd eaten the worms. I looked again and he seemed too fat for what I'd fed him, as well as a bit spacey. There was a tiny red spot on his bottom lip. I thought, maybe he got scraped and that's why he's not eating. I looked again this morning, the spot had turned white and he was fluttering to the surface to breathe, it seemed to be a massive effort. He was still hard swollen but not pinecony, and his tail fin seemed ragged all of a sudden. I did some looking around on WWM and thought maybe it was a bacterial thing. In went the erithromycin. I just went downstairs to check on him and he was gone, upside down on the bottom, his lip lesion had become an actual ulcer with missing tissue, and there were little white circles on his body here and there.

What was it? Do I have to nuke this tank? I'm so sad and frustrated, we were gong to set up a 40L breeder and everything, but they just kept dying on us.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Malalol posted:

i am suddenly terrified at that goldfish.

Goldfishzilla. I remember my uncle keeping some goldfish in a bathtub he sunk out in the yard. Those things would scare off cats and birds. I'd love to keep goldfish again one day, but I don't think I can have a tank big enough in this apartment for now.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The Oncoming Storm posted:

What was it? Do I have to nuke this tank? I'm so sad and frustrated, we were gong to set up a 40L breeder and everything, but they just kept dying on us.

Hello,

What kind of PH did you have for the B.macrostoma, and substrates/decorations etc. What kind of filtration and temperature ranges were you experiencing? What kind of heater did you have?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, an overgrown comet in our little decorative pond made a goldfish shaped bruise on my arm by kamikaze-ing me while I was culling some plants. Felt like I got punched.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I've just moved into my new place in Los Angeles. Got most of the equipment I'll need for my tank and tomorrow I plan on looking at aquariums here in the city, which I am not from. Any SoCal goons have a good LFS they would recommend? I'm in Granada Hills but I'm willing to trek for one.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I'm in the valley too! Neighboring fish nerds!

I've been to Exotic Life on Lassen and Topanga Canyon. It's okay. RCS are super overpriced and their plants are pretty meh but they have pretty lively bettas. They receive shipments on Tuesdays I think. Staff is pretty friendly.

I'm heard that A+ Tropical Fish in Temple City/Rosemead area (http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-tropical-fish-temple-city) has a great selection of livestock, including plants. My friend, who keeps really exotic fish and herps, loves this place. Haven't had a chance (or money) to go yet.

Aquarium City on Sherman Way has rumors of ick on their Yelp page so I've avoided that place. Also parking there kind of blows.

The PetCo on Nordhoff and Tampa, in the CostCo shopping center, has a pretty good plant selection and Eddy, who works the aquatic department, is awesome.

Yumi's on Chatsworth and Shoshone has snails in their plant tank and their livestock is pretty yuck. They have another shop in LA proper but i've never been. I used to buy anacharis from them all the time about a decade ago. I purchased from hornwort there recently and it grows like mad. Shrimp are hella overpriced here. $3.99 for a fire shrimp which is basically an RCS! c'mon!

Are you looking for something specific?

durrneez fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Otos are developing little potbellies and it's adorable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

durrneez posted:

I've been to Exotic Life on Lassen and Topanga Canyon. It's okay. RCS are super overpriced and their plants are pretty meh but they have pretty lively bettas. They receive shipments on Tuesdays I think. Staff is pretty friendly.

I'm heard that A+ Tropical Fish in Temple City/Rosemead area (http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-tropical-fish-temple-city) has a great selection of livestock, including plants. My friend, who keeps really exotic fish and herps, loves this place. Haven't had a chance (or money) to go yet.

Aquarium City on Sherman Way has rumors of ick on their Yelp page so I've avoided that place. Also parking there kind of blows.

The PetCo on Nordhoff and Tampa, in the CostCo shopping center, has a pretty good plant selection and Eddy, who works the aquatic department, is awesome.

Yumi's on Chatsworth and Shoshone has snails in their plant tank and their livestock is pretty yuck. They have another shop in LA proper but i've never been. I used to buy anacharis from them all the time about a decade ago. I purchased from hornwort there recently and it grows like mad. Shrimp are hella overpriced here. $3.99 for a fire shrimp which is basically an RCS! c'mon!

Thanks! I'm going to be buying my shrimp online as I have a certain morph I want. (carbon rili shrimp) Mainly I want a store that I trust when I sell back excess shrimp and buy food. I'd like a place that treats its animals well of course. I may pick up some HC if I can as I want to dry start it this week. I also need to buy the tank, literally the only missing piece. I'll probably snag that at Petco as the smaller stores usually overprice them.

Mainly I'd like a place with good plants and exotic fish. When I purchase the fish for the tank I may have to do that online as well since I'm looking for Pseudomugil rainbows. Either the Gertrudae or Bluebacks. If I can find them in a store though that would be wonderful too.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
If you want exotic stuff, A+ Tropical Fish in Rosemead is probably your best bet. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I spot any other place that fits your criteria. I think that's where my friend bought his rainbows. Their plants sell out pretty quick so I'd call ahead.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Awesome. I'll do my own digging and let you know if I find a place besides those.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I got my red cherry shrimp in the mail from that John fish guy from Florida that I bought over eBay. It took him 2.5 weeks to ship them to me, but they arrived in good condition without any DOAs. There's 2 berried females in the bag, and a third female's eggs must've hatched in transit because my bag is full of itty bitty baby shrimps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw, baby shrimp! :3: You're going to enjoy them!

Also holy cow I had no idea about carbon rili or blue diamond cherry shrimp! Those look like amazing colour morphs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_8NQ2VoA0

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 27, 2013

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

Goldfishzilla.

Just how big is that fish?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kinda excited just got a mildly beat up but very serviceable plexiglass tank and stand. I will need to replace some of the wood on the hood. It appears to be a fifty long but it might be slightly larger. It has a section in the rear of the tank with overflow. I've never used a wet/dry filter system but excited to learn! I plan on plants and new home for my angels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love those filter types. Mine's worked pretty well and is pretty low maintenance compared to HOBs or internal power filters. I've arranged it so it goes through a small filter, then a large block of coarse foam and then a porous ceramic bag and the water comes out pretty clean and the powerhead that runs it almost never needs cleaning. I've only had to scrub the impeller once in the last two years I've run it. For comparison the powerhead on my HOB has to be scrubbed out ever four weeks. Just watch out for the filter inlet if you've any fauna that can squeeze in. I've put a foam block directly behind the grill on mine so it keeps out all but the most determined baby shrimp and snails.

I will say its a gigantic pain whenever livestock gets in the back though, since you cant just tip the whole thing over. Get a baster or wide tube for suction if that happens.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

AcetylCoA! posted:

Just how big is that fish?

Slightly at an angle in this picture, so closer to 9".

edit: here's a vine of my goldfish tank: https://vine.co/v/hzI31Dqnwgz

I found this fish living in the lake near my house. When I found him, he was about half this size. I don't know what variety he is. He's got really long fins so I'm leaning toward veiltail.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 27, 2013

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

Slightly at an angle in this picture, so closer to 9".

He's not smiling back...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SynthOrange posted:

Aw, baby shrimp! :3: You're going to enjoy them!

Also holy cow I had no idea about carbon rili or blue diamond cherry shrimp! Those look like amazing colour morphs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_8NQ2VoA0

If I can get them breeding I will be more than happy to spread the love around the forum, I'd rather they go to people who care for their fish than a lovely pet store.

I checked prices and I can get 10 for $110. Hopefully enough for breeding.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If they havent become any more fragile due to breeding for the trait, you should be fine. Neocardinias are pretty fecund as it is. Unfortunately I cant get any; I live in Australia and they are a prohibited import.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So my little container pond has been up and running for a few days now.

(sorry about the lovely cell phone picture)

24" wide walmart plastic container (~18 inches deep)
About 2 inches of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil on the bottom with about an inch of play sand to cap it. An 8x8" cinder block with a pair of bricks on top, supporting a 12" square cinder block tile to achieve the right height for the immersed plants. The three immersed plants in the back are water mint, parrots feather and variegated golden candles. 2x water hyicanths on either side, with some duckweed and a couple of amazon frogbit. I've got 2x bunches of anarchis, one floating and the other planted at the bottom along side some wisteria and an amazon sword. pH is high at ~7.7 but I swear the duckweed has already doubled and both frogbit's have sent out a new runner with a leaf at the end, so the water can't be that bad.

4 platies (male and 3 females) round it out and just now, contrasted against he light grey tile, I think I see a baby platy swimming around. Adding a tiny bit of fish food each afternoon and so far so good. I may or may not add a few white cloud mountain minnows, as the platies are rarely seen so far and appear to be enjoying the cinder block cave too much. Thanks for all the help and we will see how this develops over the summer.

cheese fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 27, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SynthOrange posted:

If they havent become any more fragile due to breeding for the trait, you should be fine. Neocardinias are pretty fecund as it is. Unfortunately I cant get any; I live in Australia and they are a prohibited import.

If you pay for my trip to Australia I will put shrimp up my rear end.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at their little potbellies. LOOK AT THEM!

It's an 8 gallon with a betta, about a half dozen shrimp, and the two otos. I'm open to getting more otos if y'all think I should.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Chichevache posted:

I've just moved into my new place in Los Angeles. Got most of the equipment I'll need for my tank and tomorrow I plan on looking at aquariums here in the city, which I am not from. Any SoCal goons have a good LFS they would recommend? I'm in Granada Hills but I'm willing to trek for one.

durrneez posted:

I work in Granada Hills.

I agree Exotic Life of Topanga is ok. They changed ownership a few years ago and it started looking better, I don't get out that way often though.

I agree that Yumis is gross, I don't go there. It's a dirty fish graveyard.

I love Aquarium City on Sherman, never had an issue there with anything. Parking can be stupid, but I've never had to search too bad. Their selection is huge. I've seen tanks being treated there before, but I wouldn't call it an epidemic (I've been going there for 5+ years). It's a little cramped and dark, but they have everything.

My friend just told me about Rainbow Pet on Woodman/Nordoff, I haven't been there but he says it's a nice clean little store with good prices.

Zaffy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 27, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Look at their little potbellies. LOOK AT THEM!

It's an 8 gallon with a betta, about a half dozen shrimp, and the two otos. I'm open to getting more otos if y'all think I should.

Oto's are schooling fish, so I would say to get 2-3 more myself, so long as your filtration isn't being pushed already.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my bamboo shrimp seems to be loving the log in the center of the tank, especially when Squidworth starts digging. The females keep hiding in various locations, but he is just out in the open and enjoying the fast flow.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

cheese posted:

About 2 inches of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil on the bottom with about an inch of play sand to cap it. An 8x8" cinder block with a pair of bricks on top, supporting a 12" square cinder block tile to achieve the right height for the immersed plants. The three immersed plants in the back are water mint, parrots feather and variegated golden candles. 2x water hyicanths on either side, with some duckweed and a couple of amazon frogbit. I've got 2x bunches of anarchis, one floating and the other planted at the bottom along side some wisteria and an amazon sword. pH is high at ~7.7 but I swear the duckweed has already doubled and both frogbit's have sent out a new runner with a leaf at the end, so the water can't be that bad.

Looks cool, keep the updates coming.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Yes! My package from Shakenbaker arrived! He very generously gave me some corkscrew vals and a few MTS. A few frogbit or duckweed hitchhiked but I'm actually really happy that they did. My Walstad still suffers from some hair algae so it'll be nice to have some floating wonders.

It was really mesmerizing to watch an MTS slowly push out its operculum and right itself. My betta was pretty freaked out!

I'll post pictures when my tank doesn't look so embarrassing. :downs:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

A mild rant while im on break.

Customer explains she has a 29g heated tank, asks for definition of koi/goldies vs freshwater and tropical.
I explain the coldwater difference and show her the easy livebearers to start with, since she already has a heater in and you cant put too many goldfish in that tank if she went that route. She says ok and starts picking out some platies. Asks how big goldfish get. I tell her. Then she walks over to one and says i want that one. WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU. WHY DO I EVEN EXPLAIN?

Also while we're on the topic of mailed plants..anyone wanna try out some floating antler fern? Fantastic floater. I threw a ginormous bunch outside recently during trimming but they should still be alive. Free uh, clinging duckweed and other floaters. Got red root floater too if anyone wants.

Ok back to work!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

demonR6 posted:

Looks cool, keep the updates coming.
Thanks, will do! How much sun would be too much sun for those plants? One of the shoots on the frogbit turned brown and a few of the golden candle leaves on the side that gets morning sun are starting to shrivel a bit.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

durrneez posted:

Yes! My package from Shakenbaker arrived! He very generously gave me some corkscrew vals and a few MTS. A few frogbit or duckweed hitchhiked but I'm actually really happy that they did. My Walstad still suffers from some hair algae so it'll be nice to have some floating wonders.

It was really mesmerizing to watch an MTS slowly push out its operculum and right itself. My betta was pretty freaked out!

I'll post pictures when my tank doesn't look so embarrassing. :downs:

Heh the hitchhiker should be duckweed. I don't think there's any salvinia in that tank, so you should be safe. Enjoy your plants and shelled friends!

And speaking of things floating in that tank:

My lavender gourami is feeling his oats, it seems. Explains the rough housing he's been doing with his golden lady.

Malalol posted:

A mild rant while im on break.

Customer explains she has a 29g heated tank, asks for definition of koi/goldies vs freshwater and tropical.
I explain the coldwater difference and show her the easy livebearers to start with, since she already has a heater in and you cant put too many goldfish in that tank if she went that route. She says ok and starts picking out some platies. Asks how big goldfish get. I tell her. Then she walks over to one and says i want that one. WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU. WHY DO I EVEN EXPLAIN?

People's dumb. If you tell most people what a goldfish actually needs to live, they think you're full of poo poo because of that time they won one at the county fair and it lived for a whole year!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Zaffy posted:

I work in Granada Hills.

I agree Exotic Life of Topanga is ok. They changed ownership a few years ago and it started looking better, I don't get out that way often though.

I agree that Yumis is gross, I don't go there. It's a dirty fish graveyard.

I love Aquarium City on Sherman, never had an issue there with anything. Parking can be stupid, but I've never had to search too bad. Their selection is huge. I've seen tanks being treated there before, but I wouldn't call it an epidemic (I've been going there for 5+ years). It's a little cramped and dark, but they have everything.

My friend just told me about Rainbow Pet on Woodman/Nordoff, I haven't been there but he says it's a nice clean little store with good prices.

I checked out Exotic Life and found it to be acceptable. The guy behind the counter was kind of dickish, but it seemed to be in an awkward way and not intentional. The fish were alright but the tank selection was nonexistent. Their main focus seems to be reptiles and Arachnids though. I would go back, but only if I don't find better elsewhere.

And I checked out Fumi's on Chatsworth, which I believe is what you two are thinking of.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fumis-tropical-fish-granada-hills
I actually liked this place. The owner was very pleasant and the store is dusty and tiny. However the fish all appeared incredibly healthy. Pretty much every tank had fish with large rounded bellies that were incredibly active. Exotic didn't have many dead fish, but plenty of them seemed slitly underfed. At Fumi's the tanks were covered in algae but the water quality looked great and he used sponge filters everywhere as well as some sumps. He also had the best prices on tanks, better than Petco even. I'm going to check more stores out, but so far Fumi's is a place I would recommend for stock and tanks.i didn't check the prices of other equipment.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Update on my heatwave fish problem situation. Scrounged up enough cash to get a portable AC unit and the tank has been at a more comfortable 32C even in the hottest part of the day. My last corydoras and the smallest danio zebra died before I could get the unit, though, so I'm down to six danio zebras and two juvenile aymonieri. They seem fine now, and I'm not risking getting any more fish for a while. Hopefully these will be okay.

Once the temperature dropped a bit, the aymonieri started being really active, and cleaned up any trace of algae on my plants and mopani wood in a couple of days. Both are considerably rounder, and a bit bigger now. The fun thing is that for the last few days, my danio zebras have been acting strange, resting on ornaments/plants just like the aymonieri and poking my vals bottom to top just like the aymonieri do when they're cleaning the leaves of algae. It looks almost as if they're imitating the other fish. In the meantime, the aymonieri spook and hide as soon as I start moving towards the tank, so I can't get a really good look at them.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Chichevache posted:

I checked out Exotic Life and found it to be acceptable. The guy behind the counter was kind of dickish, but it seemed to be in an awkward way and not intentional. The fish were alright but the tank selection was nonexistent. Their main focus seems to be reptiles and Arachnids though. I would go back, but only if I don't find better elsewhere.

And I checked out Fumi's on Chatsworth, which I believe is what you two are thinking of.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fumis-tropical-fish-granada-hills
I actually liked this place. The owner was very pleasant and the store is dusty and tiny. However the fish all appeared incredibly healthy. Pretty much every tank had fish with large rounded bellies that were incredibly active. Exotic didn't have many dead fish, but plenty of them seemed slitly underfed. At Fumi's the tanks were covered in algae but the water quality looked great and he used sponge filters everywhere as well as some sumps. He also had the best prices on tanks, better than Petco even. I'm going to check more stores out, but so far Fumi's is a place I would recommend for stock and tanks.i didn't check the prices of other equipment.

The last time I was at Fumi's it was full of dead fish, and smelled of rot. There wasn't a tank that didn't have at least 1 fish floating belly up. Maybe I'll give it another shot, I drive by that place twice a day.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

cheese posted:

4 platies (male and 3 females) round it out and just now, contrasted against he light grey tile, I think I see a baby platy swimming around. Adding a tiny bit of fish food each afternoon and so far so good. I may or may not add a few white cloud mountain minnows, as the platies are rarely seen so far and appear to be enjoying the cinder block cave too much. Thanks for all the help and we will see how this develops over the summer.

Yay I can chime in with a few things because all of my experience comes from ponds (my teenage years were spent working in the water gardening department of a nursery).

Looks like a good spot for it against that fence so that it's not getting sun all day. The parrot's feather and water mint are both creepers, and can tend to grow out sideways and out of the pond (just so you know). If your levels are good and maintained in the pond, your hyacinth may start multiplying like crazy. If so, make a "pond friend" by giving another pond owner your extras. If the plants and fish are doing well and the pH is staying around the same place, keep it as is. It's much better to just have a constant pH rather than a constantly fluctuating one.

I love that you put some of the anacharis so that it floats, as most people don't do that in ponds, then miss out on it flowering (little white flowers sprout up all along parts of it, usually those on/above the surface). Where do you live, unless I missed it? Just wondering as if you're in an area where it gets cold enough that will freeze all of those plants and fish probably won't survive the Winter in a small, shallow pond like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Zaffy posted:

The last time I was at Fumi's it was full of dead fish, and smelled of rot. There wasn't a tank that didn't have at least 1 fish floating belly up. Maybe I'll give it another shot, I drive by that place twice a day.

I'm going back next week topics up the tank, so I'll look again. But I was shocked by the health of the fish I saw. I didn't notice a single dead or underfed fish, even the nicest stores I have been to have some with concave bellies. The shop is absolutely covered in dust and the algae on the tanks is pretty bad, but what I noticed was the healthy live stock. If you go in let me know what you see on that front. Because it did not look like the owner was just cleaning the dead out before I saw them, it looked like they were actually cared for.