Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Good lord am I addicted. I just picked up two Siamese (at least I hope) algae eaters at a LFS called Aquatouch! On top of that, Petsmart was having a $1 sale on neon tetras so I decided I'd add 6 more to my school to make it an even 15. Pretty sure my bio load is at maximum at this point.

Apparently the guys I got could be one of the following:
Crossocheilus oblongus
Crossocheilus langei
Crossocheilus atrilimes
Crossocheilus citripinnis

And the internet says I should hope I picked up some langei but it's nearly impossible to tell... :ohdear:

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shakenbaker posted:

My money is on the plastic plants being your culprit, honestly.

Maybe. I want to put a live plant in but I worry about starting a planted pico tank. Maybe some armchairs? This should only be a one or two month tank for him while I set up my 30 gallon planted.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So long has he's got something to lounge on, I know my betta loves to lay on his driftwood log catching shade under the anubias that grown on it. The thing with the plastic plants is that sometimes those little edges are just enough to snag their fins or scratch their bodies, but that kinda depends on the fish and all. You could maybe just tie a clump of anubias or java fern to a rock and give him a lounge spot. Don't need fancy substrates or lights for either of those, and they're generally cheap to come by.

Bought a couple tiny, skinny narwhals today:

Best or coolest algae eaters? Yes.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Shakenbaker posted:

So long has he's got something to lounge on, I know my betta loves to lay on his driftwood log catching shade under the anubias that grown on it. The thing with the plastic plants is that sometimes those little edges are just enough to snag their fins or scratch their bodies, but that kinda depends on the fish and all. You could maybe just tie a clump of anubias or java fern to a rock and give him a lounge spot. Don't need fancy substrates or lights for either of those, and they're generally cheap to come by.

I've never heard them called narwhals. Is that a farowella?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've got a ton of greenery in my tank. Mosses, vals, anubias, water sprite, crypts. Where does my betta choose to lounge? In the gear corner, jamming himself behind the water heater. :v:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lacrosse posted:

I've never heard them called narwhals. Is that a farowella?

I was being stupid about it. As I took the picture I noticed the snouts and a dumb joke was born. But yeah, two farowellas. Couldn't tell you for sure which species, but still pretty happy with them. They'll be going into my 75 which was sorely lacking in algae eaters, and I've always liked them more than plecos. Also significantly cheaper than any cool plecos 'round these parts.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

SynthOrange posted:

I've got a ton of greenery in my tank. Mosses, vals, anubias, water sprite, crypts. Where does my betta choose to lounge? In the gear corner, jamming himself behind the water heater. :v:

Ugh, same!!

He was making bubble nests every day when I kept him in a 1 gallon tupperware. Now that he's in a lovely 10 gallon does he make bubble nests regularly? NOPE.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

I was being stupid about it. As I took the picture I noticed the snouts and a dumb joke was born. But yeah, two farowellas. Couldn't tell you for sure which species, but still pretty happy with them. They'll be going into my 75 which was sorely lacking in algae eaters, and I've always liked them more than plecos. Also significantly cheaper than any cool plecos 'round these parts.

Let me know how they work out. I've had bristlenose plecos, otocinclus, Chinese algae eaters, Siamese algae eaters, Florida flag fish, a borneo sucker, and an algae eating goby. Gotta catch 'em all?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sure thing. I've gone through just about all of those too, aside from the Siamese or the goby. I'm thinking worst case scenario I can get a few otos to keep the leaves of my plants clean. Flag fish are crazy if they find something they like, but that isn't always algae. The pair in my 55 cleaned off all the salvinia minima I had growing on the top of it on more than one occasion:psyboom:

I do really like nerite snails for algae most of the time, but I want loaches in this tank and they'd just be expensive snacks, so something with fins seem my only option.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Sure thing. I've gone through just about all of those too, aside from the Siamese or the goby. I'm thinking worst case scenario I can get a few otos to keep the leaves of my plants clean. Flag fish are crazy if they find something they like, but that isn't always algae. The pair in my 55 cleaned off all the salvinia minima I had growing on the top of it on more than one occasion:psyboom:

I do really like nerite snails for algae most of the time, but I want loaches in this tank and they'd just be expensive snacks, so something with fins seem my only option.

My tiger nerite snail has been trucking right along in my tank with the 2 huge goldfish and 3 dojo loaches. If you get big ones, I would think that only clown loaches would able to attack them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shakenbaker posted:

He is laying on my fake plant and looking good. I'm pretty sure the Ohko stone or gravel is how he cut himself. I'm phone posting, so no image, but Ohko stone isn't like the other scape stones and is actually kind of rough and has sharp edges. Once he looks healed up andim not doing daily 100% water changes I will look for a basic plant that can survive my low tech mini tank.

Lacrosse posted:

My tiger nerite snail has been trucking right along in my tank with the 2 huge goldfish and 3 dojo loaches. If you get big ones, I would think that only clown loaches would able to attack them.

I like nerites, does anyone have any experience with assassin snails and large nerites?

Also I'll finally have my tank tomorrow. I want to do a dry start to get a carpet of HC going. Has anyone here found a good FAQ for it? Most threads I've read on the planted tank just say "I did a dry start."

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
I am currently setting up a tank for clown loaches. I am slowly building up the tank. Starting with 5 for now to see how they do. Here are some pictures of the tank as is sits now. I am not done with it by any means. One question I do have is in your opinion what fish make great tank mates for clown loaches? I am going to start with the loaches and a plecostomus. I am going to be adding some rocks and things a little later today. I will update the post with pictures as I add things. Sorry for the crappy picture, currently using my cell phone.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

tboeske01 posted:

I am currently setting up a tank for clown loaches. I am slowly building up the tank. Starting with 5 for now to see how they do. Here are some pictures of the tank as is sits now. I am not done with it by any means. One question I do have is in your opinion what fish make great tank mates for clown loaches? I am going to start with the loaches and a plecostomus. I am going to be adding some rocks and things a little later today. I will update the post with pictures as I add things. Sorry for the crappy picture, currently using my cell phone.

Clown loaches get 12" long, so even a 55g might be too small for a school. You want large tank mates, like roseline sharks, Bala sharks, tinfoil barbs, silver dollars. Basically nothing under like, 8" max size I'd say.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Lacrosse is 100% right. Clown loaches are just not a fish most people can take care of.

Honestly irks me seeing them in stores most of the time, same as baby oscars, iridescent sharks and the like. Sure they won't outgrow the tank they're in, but it's because they'll die from stunted growth first.

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
I am going to be moving them up to a 125g tank when they get bigger. I have no plans to keep them in a tank too small for them.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

tboeske01 posted:

I am going to be moving them up to a 125g tank when they get bigger. I have no plans to keep them in a tank too small for them.

I'm glad to hear you have an adequate tank. :)

Loaches are scale-less, so they have less protection against injury than other fish. Try to stay away from anything too aggressive; you want large peaceful fish. Parkisoni rainbowfish looks really cool and get 8" or so. Roseline sharks get about 8" too but they are pretty spendy.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

tboeske01 posted:

I have no plans to keep them in a tank too small for them.

man that is such a pet peeve of mine when people say that. Not you, but Im reminded of work where Im practically begging people to not pick out that Id and they insist. This guy gets 3 id sharks, 2 african knives, some gouramis, pictus, tetras.. for a 20g I believe, im going THIS FISH GETS LIKE OVER 3-4 FEET. "Oh its okay ill move it to a bigger tank when its big. I got a 50 gal" NO FK THAT WHAT DIDDNT YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THREE FEET.

If I hear that 'Oh Ill just move it to a bigger tank' it seriously is a giant downer because I know they arent. Some people, yes. But most people are ones that think 55g is a large tank and adequate for everything. HNNGGG!

WOnderful, you have a 90g!! watcha got in there? Oh like 8 or 8 or 9 koi.
or
Yes, heres your 2 clown knives and ropefishes..for your..30g...I believe they'll outgrow that tank innnnnnnnn right about........now.

rant of the day/ sorry.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tboeske01 posted:

Heh from worried to jealous that quick. A big ol' tank of clowns is one of my pie in the sky dreams.

What pops into my head always when people talk about clowns is the time I set up a little three gallon for my sister because she wanted a betta. A few days later I get a picture of a clown loach and a yellow lab in it:suicide: She told the guy at the store how big her tank was, he spouted the "1 inch to gallon" line and pointed her at those fish. Next time I went to visit I took them back to the store and ranted more than little. Ugh.

edit: just remembered I still had the pic. Behold!

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 4, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One of the things my LFS has right is accurate info cards for each fish. That and juvenile clown loaches next to the tank with the full grown adults.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Malalol posted:

man that is such a pet peeve of mine when people say that. Not you, but Im reminded of work where Im practically begging people to not pick out that Id and they insist. This guy gets 3 id sharks, 2 african knives, some gouramis, pictus, tetras.. for a 20g I believe, im going THIS FISH GETS LIKE OVER 3-4 FEET. "Oh its okay ill move it to a bigger tank when its big. I got a 50 gal" NO FK THAT WHAT DIDDNT YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THREE FEET.

One of the people working at my local large chain pet retailers feels the same way. He's added little notes onto some of the pre-printed tank labels. For example, Gibbiceps Plec (grows to 24 inches). Still, this is pretty much luck of the draw. Some of the people working there will happily sell pretty much any quantity of anything to the unwashed masses, but seeing somebody threaten to report a member of staff to management for refusing to sell to them only to have the manager politely tell them to leave the store was priceless.

As an aside, I suppose I'm officially a tropical fish breeder. I took a bunch of randomly netted cherry shrimp over to my LFS a few days ago and came back with half a dozen Otos in exchange. I suppose I could have asked for more, but there wasn't really anything else I needed right this minute. Hopefully, this batch will sell, and I'll be able to up my asking price once I actually want something from them. The things breed like nymphomaniac rabbits, so they're essentially free trade tokens.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

cov-hog posted:

Oh, dude, I hope you maybe mis-typed something. You've had a turtle in a 5gal for three years?? That's ... really awful. The 15gal is "better" but really it's no where near good enough. Slugworth is totally right about any aquatic turtle needing as much space as possible.

I had a 9" African helmeted turtle for many years. I rescued him from bad conditions where he was living in absolute filth in a 20gal with a regular aquarium filter meant for a 10 gallon. We moved across the country and he got a 40 gallon breeder tank that was still honestly a little too small for him. I used a pond filter to turn over the tank like 200 times an hour and it still got fouled pretty quickly (turtles are gross). Please upgrade your tank!!

Re: rosy reds. I kept my turtle tank stocked with minnows for that guy. He mostly loved them. Sometimes he'd rampage around and bite them all in half just for kicks I guess, and other times he wouldn't touch them for weeks. That was really cool because when they're big and strong and healthy from swimming in the high-flow water all the time they are actually really neat fish. Mostly he'd just snack on them, though.

I wouldn't necessarily feed your turtle dead minnows, if your pets should die. They likely would have died of some disease and it's not a great idea to feed sick food to any animal...

Thanks for the heads up. His tank is going to be a 20 gallon turtle specific. This one here. He's just under 3 inches now that we actually measure. We'll stick to feeding him healthy looking live minnows from my breeder tank project. I'll update with pictures when the new tank arrives.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
This is my latest and probably last freshwater tank, it's kind of a catch-all sort of tank at the moment. Over the years I've set up and torn down a number of tanks, big and small, and these are my remaining fish.

The tank isn't much to look at, and the cellphone camera does no favors. Just some mopani wood and pots, but it's what Henry likes. Big Oscars tend to be very... vocal about their decorations.
The Green Terror is unnamed, as I'm convinced the second I actually start calling her something she'll drop dead. One thing she does not do, however, is live up to the name Green Terror. She's the sweetest fish their ever was. Got her when she was a fry :3:
Unseen in the photos are a Synodontis eupterus upside down catfish named Wilford Brimley, and a big honkin common Pleco named Moose. Moose is my oldest fish, harking back to the days of my first ever serious tank. He is invincible.

Henry the Oscar had a mate, Geordie, who unfortunately passed last year suddenly. Shortly after that my ancient Jack Dempsey passed from old age. After that tragedy I downsized from a 165gal to the current 75gal and vowed to never get another fish... then Henry just started to look so lonely, the Green Terror showed up a few days later, somehow managing to infect the entire tank with the wort case of ich I've ever seen despite 2 weeks in an isolation/observation tank I had set up. Little fucker.

fake edit: The pictures of magnificent cocks in the background are there because Henry likes to look at things, we change them every few days. She also likes to watch TV.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I want the hell out of an oscar even though theyre kinda lame to me when little. But you see a giant 15+ incher staring you down and its like...I WANT TO PET YOU! How big is that fella in comparison to a full tank shot?
edit: she looks like an albino football

eggyolk posted:

Thanks for the heads up. His tank is going to be a 20 gallon turtle specific. This one here. He's just under 3 inches now that we actually measure. We'll stick to feeding him healthy looking live minnows from my breeder tank project. I'll update with pictures when the new tank arrives.

well...3 inches is good in the sense that it will fit a smaller tank for now... but not so great that its so stunted? But TBH, that tank is a complete waste of money, did you purchase it already?

For $140..
well.

Petco has the $/g sale going on so, pick up a 20L for $20 plus the screen top. And youll have $100 to spend on lights and a nice filter. Unless youre suspending it over that tank, I have no idea where you are going to put them. Then buy a 10g for 10bux and raise some guppy feeders. If you really want a 'turtle' kit tank:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Small update on my 5 gallon tank; I haven't killed the hornwort Durrneez gave me :toot:. Now I'm having a bit of a problem with algae I didn't have before. It's starting to grow on the lower part of the tank and on the gravel, so I'm not sure how to deal with it as my tank is so small. I've been leaving the light on longer lately for the hornwort, so that's probably what's encouraging the algae to spread. the thing is, I still would like to add two more guppies or Endler's livebearers. If I get those two fish for a total of 4, I don't think I can get an algae eater small enough to do ok in the tank, and I'd rather not get snails.

If ottos didn't need to be in groups, I'd get on in a heart beat. They are so cute :3:

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Malalol posted:

I want the hell out of an oscar even though theyre kinda lame to me when little. But you see a giant 15+ incher staring you down and its like...I WANT TO PET YOU! How big is that fella in comparison to a full tank shot?
edit: she looks like an albino football

She's a full 15-16in. I'll come clean, I'm not a huge Oscar fan. My brother absolutely loves them and Henry is in my care until he finishes med school. I personally think she's ugly as hell, but don't tell her that!
Oscars are Crazy smart, some studies show that they can count up to 7, and are readily trainable. It's more like taking care of a toddler than a fish, and are roughly as intelligent. You need to keep them entertained, otherwise they get depressed.

If you do something to disappoint your Oscar, be prepared for the most adorably tragic moody pouting you've ever seen. They will physically go lay at the bottom of the tank on their side just staring at you with one eye until you go away. Henry will do this if you turn off her favorite show (top gear).

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chido posted:

Small update on my 5 gallon tank; I haven't killed the hornwort Durrneez gave me :toot:. Now I'm having a bit of a problem with algae I didn't have before. It's starting to grow on the lower part of the tank and on the gravel, so I'm not sure how to deal with it as my tank is so small. I've been leaving the light on longer lately for the hornwort, so that's probably what's encouraging the algae to spread. the thing is, I still would like to add two more guppies or Endler's livebearers. If I get those two fish for a total of 4, I don't think I can get an algae eater small enough to do ok in the tank, and I'd rather not get snails.

If ottos didn't need to be in groups, I'd get on in a heart beat. They are so cute :3:

Could try an amano shrimp or two. Is there a specific reason you'd rather keep away from snails though? Because a single nerite would probably take care of all your algae woes.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Shakenbaker posted:

Could try an amano shrimp or two. Is there a specific reason you'd rather keep away from snails though? Because a single nerite would probably take care of all your algae woes.

I don't have air conditioner in my room, so when we get heatwaves here in SoCal, my room can get pretty warm. So far the fish have been ok with it, but I don't know how a snail would handle high temperatures. Also I don't want to deal with a possible snail infestation since my tank is small.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thread title aside, nerites need brackish water to reproduce. Amano shrimp are a good algae eater as mentioned. Oto catfish are another algae eater suitable for a tiny tank, but they've got an earned reputation for being somewhat fragile. How long are you keeping the lights on for anyway, and what was it at before? Does your tank get natural light? Hornworts are a really easy plant to keep and you dont need lights for very long, especially if you've got natural light.

Did a water change, clean up and rearrangement today. I think the shrimp population in the 10g are a distant memory, from the amount of algae everywhere. Still dont know if I should blame the loaches, betta or the co2. :v:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 6, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I'll take a picture to show you where my tank is once I have my room cleaned. It's far from a window and I've been leaving the light on about 2-3 hours in the morning, and probably 5-6 hours in the evening. Do regular aquariums carry amano shrimp? the only place where i've ever bought anything for my tank is petsmart, and I don't think I've ever seen that shrimp in stock.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a fair bit of light. I run a low-light plant tank and its only got a total of 6 hours a day, 2 in morning, then 4 in the evening. That keeps most low light plants pretty happy. Hornwort should be fine with less time.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Thats a fair bit of light. I run a low-light plant tank and its only got a total of 6 hours a day, 2 in morning, then 4 in the evening. That keeps most low light plants pretty happy. Hornwort should be fine with less time.

Thanks :). I'll see if I can go to that aquarium in Temple City Durrneez mentioned earlier in the thread sometime next week and ask if they carry amano shrimp and endler's livebearers. Hopefully I can get a decent looking tank with a healthy community in it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
This is my current (and second) setup, about 3 months in. It currently houses a dwarf gourami, a black phantom tetra, an otocinclus, and 5 ghost shrimp. I think I'd like to get a small school of neon tetras next. I'd like to get started with live plants too. The only thing living in my tank right now besides my fish is my Marimo moss ball.

I had a couple of headaches along the way. My very first setup had a case of columnaris about 2 months in that wiped my entire community out, so I had to start over and this is the result.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 7, 2013

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Tetras are schooling fish. You'll want a black phantom school rather than leave him alone with a school of neons.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Lacrosse posted:

Tetras are schooling fish. You'll want a black phantom school rather than leave him alone with a school of neons.

Alright, well that solves that problem of what to get next. I asked the guy at the LFS if he would be fine by himself or if he needs a school, he said no problem if he's alone. Guess I'll get a few more black phantoms then!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Tetras will sometimes school with other similar looking species, but black phantoms have deep bodies whereas neons are slender. They'd never hang out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the hell?

Oh come on, I totally feed you guys enough, no need to climb out of water and scrape for algae there too. :mad:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Clearly that's a larval form and it's getting out of the water to finally sprout its wings and fly away.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I have two fancy guppies in a maternity tank because they're getting ready to download their fry. I had a divider up between them but every time I check on them one or the other would be in the other compartment :wtc:

I just took it out since they obviously want to chill together.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have two fancy guppies in a maternity tank because they're getting ready to download their fry. I had a divider up between them but every time I check on them one or the other would be in the other compartment :wtc:

I think that is super cute. Oh, fish! :3

Speaking of cute, my corkscrew vals have new growth!!!! :allears: I'm so excited because I've had so much trouble with bacopa and wisteria for some reason.

durrneez fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have a hypothesis that all fish, regardless of size, have the ability to just phase through dividers like that.

When I had oscars and the male decided to pick on the female (a difference of 1", but when the fish are a foot long plus some, it matters), I put a divider up. It had no gaps, it slid in brackets on either side of the glass, and there was a hood on to prevent jumping, so you'd think a foot long fish wouldn't be able to get through it, right? Next morning, both oscars are in the same compartment just chilling with each other and acting like they weren't out for Oscarpocalypse 8 hours ago. :iiam: