Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Me in Reverse posted:

How hot does your dorm get that your tank water was 100 degrees F?

That has to violate some kind of something if you're forced to live in that. :psyduck:

I could see that happening if enough direct sunlight was hitting the room and tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I would be interested in what you come up with. I have cats as well and a small pump laying around that I could repurpose.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Huh it looks like it could be pretty easy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Filtered-Pet-Watering-Bowl/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I have two fancy guppies in a maternity tank because they're getting ready to download their fry. I had a divider up between them but every time I check on them one or the other would be in the other compartment :wtc:

I just took it out since they obviously want to chill together.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Checked on the tank this morning and saw one of the guppies was in the process of having fry. Little baby fish in the breeding trap :woop:

Edit: I know breeding guppies isn't the hardest thing in the world but this is the first time I've actually seen the babies. I've had 2 pregnancy cycles so far and assume the fry fell prey to either the danios or the filter :ohdear:

When does coloration start to manifest? I'm curious about guppy genetics.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 8, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Current project:

Bedroom 10 gallon for guppy fry grow-up and place to move some of my boring neons and corys from my 20 gallon in the living room.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'd imagine it has a healthy colony of bacteria. I'd watch the levels on adding fish though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah my albino bristlenose has quite a bit or personality and has earned the nickname "Fishtronaut" after he survived a little adventure on the kitchen floor and being batted at by one of my cats. He jumped out of the glass I had him in while I was moving him to a new tank.

I know that their behavior is schooling related but I'm fascinated by the social behavior of my guppies. It's like a soap opera :allears:

Or a trailer park.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Got an absolutely gorgeous betta from my LFS today that's going to live with a small school of neons and some corys in a 10 gallon I have upstairs.

Him name Jermaine.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking of pests, any tips on black beard algae?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My favorite guppy mama dropped her brood last night. Hope I get some interesting looking offspring! (The rest get sent off to my LFS)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I woke up this morning and found my lovely betta, Julian, outside of his tank. He's now a dry fish-chip in the garden. I don't know how he got out of the covered tank, but he did. Rest in peace you dumb bastard.

I swear Bettas are like the cats of the fish world. Kinda dumb but incorrigible trouble makers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shakenbaker posted:

The west coast...of Florida. Still gets there by mail pretty fast, though.

He sent some to me in Michigan and they all came through swell and are growing quite well in my tank.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I wish this guppy would drop the babies she's very obviously about to have.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Neitherman posted:

I have a neon tetra that's looked like that for months now. When I first realized it I was excited to get some neon fry but soon realized it seems to be a permanent situation with my fish.

She keeps getting bigger. Poor thing kinda floats around like a giant balloon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It's got a slotted base that goes across the bottom it doesn't show up in the picture I posted. I'm wondering if I should put some stuff in there or at least reposition it in some plants so she feels more comfortable.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mama guppy status: still preggers

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm not sure the guppy is pregnant....I don't see the dark area at the vent you usually get with fry.

The gravid spot? Yeah it doesn't really show in the first picture but it's super dark and I can see little eyes. She also got like this last time she dropped a litter. I just hope she isn't aborting or anything :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

How is it my betta has the most personality of all my fish?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

New digs for my betta. Now with 100% less doubling as a water bowl for my cats. (What the hell was I thinking getting an open-top fish bowl.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hi, I have a pretty stable 20 long going and am interested in going up a size. I'm looking for something that has similar proportions and research has suggested that a 30 gallon breeder is what I'm looking for -- possibly a 40 long.

Are these common sizes?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can confirm that python is an amazing thing for water changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I've been working on my partner to get a bigger fish tank and we went to the aquarium store today. Have a 20 long, looked at a 33 long and he just said "well you might as well save a bit more and get this 55 gallon all in one kit".

Plan worked :getin: