Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all think a Fugeray planted + 18" or a Finnex RAY2 DSwould be enough for a 45x45X45 cm planted tank needing medium light? This is with ferts and a full, pressurized CO2 setup.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

dirtycajun posted:

Whelp, my led light on my tank burned out already, since I am moving to a new place I may as well by one that doesn't promote algae growth. What was the name of the cool fake lightning storm cloud light and is it good in the fight against algae?

It's this.

It doesn't have high PAR values, though so depending on your tank you'll probably have to only grow low light plants.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My betta ingested a piece of looseleaf yerba mate last night and didn't die! I figured he was a gonner for sure. Bet he had a fun night, he was already in a quarantine tank.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't gently caress around with fin holes. I have a cheap plastic quarantine tank (Labeled [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo]MASH[/quote] in honor of my current home country) and in he goes for a week of salt treatment. It's so effortless and fin rot takes ages to heal so I go all preventative on that little guy.

Nothing but the best for Wee-bay. :allears:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The consensus from LED people as far as I can tell is build my LED has the best fixtures.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here in Korea there's a stew where the principle ingredient is loach. Just saying.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You put an aggressive loach in a tank with shrimp and snails? :stare:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my Otos died. Didn't seem to be any cause.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I had an otherwise seemingly knowledgeable guy at the lfs tell me otos live 6 months on average, and it's more or less impossible to break a year. I just said 'huh, I didn't know that' and went home to my year and a half old otos.

I think it was some sort of internal failure. There were no signs of trauma or disease. Even its color was still good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is that? 2 gallons?

A flame angel. They had a flame angel, that's like a four inch marine fish. :gonk:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any gnawing rodent would tear that thing apart in like 4 days. I could see it working for amphibians or bugs if you kept it in the sun.

vegemitesandwhich posted:

The best part about the Bio Bubble is that it changes when you do...

Translation: When your negligence paired with the unsuitability of the enclosure finishes off Jaws/Nibbles/Slinky/Bugsy. I'm picturing a somber family with a young kid going down the list of pets and converting the tank when another "mysteriously" dies.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have A modest proposal.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 12, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most of the soups here are super watered down, it'd be extra authentic.

My amanos have a case of the zoomies tonight, they're zipping around like crazy. Think it's because I gave them a nice big lettuce leaf last night, this morning I'd say 80% of it was gone. I'm worried because there's almost no algae in the tank and my otos aren't as fat as I'd like.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kill snails for much, much less.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love my canister. Never running a tank without one again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf puffers can be little murder machines and one tetra wouldn't stand a chance. Especially in such a tiny tank.

In a six gal?
VVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 16, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Whaler posted:

Are you turning the lights off at night? I found limiting the hours of light helped keep algae in check in my tank. Otos eat algae but they can't single handed ly keep the tank free of it

This. Splitting my AM and PM light really helped with algae.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MY LED still hasn't come.

Last day of my week long doing nothing vacation where I could have mounted it to the ceiling and found a good adapter. It still hasn't come. :saddowns:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure my new light can be seen from space.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stone fish probably wouldn't kill you. Go Box Jelly or Cone snail or go home.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is terrifying.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At this point maybe it'd be easier to just say gently caress it and try and cram every species in existence into Florida. Go for a record.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I think I may have just fed my pair of angels $16 worth of amano shrimp appetizers. Or those little fuckers are amazing hiders.

I had four Amanos I didn't see for weeks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Hrm. Maybe I'll just buy more until it's impossible for them to all hide.

Yeah, now I have 12 and they own the tank. If an aquatic invertebrate can strut that's what they do now.

I sometimes stick my finger in the tank now and sometimes they land and pick at it, if the Betta gets tired of attacking it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 10, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too bad. Like five minutes ago I saw a particularly large amano get into a stare down with my betta before basically brushing him aside.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat some of these are pretty.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at all these beautiful cuttings I had to throw away because none of my friends have aquariums. Go to the T&T Korea thread and yell at them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weebay the Betta died. Worst part is it happened while I was on vacation and my GF was caring for the tank. There's no way it could be her fault but she's torn up.

Oh well. Think I'm gonna get some schooling fish. Thoughts on good schooling fish that can live in a high 20 lidless with ottos and shrimp?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My frontronners are CPDs, dwarf gourami, a danio subspecies, or threadfin rainbowfish. My 45³ cm tank is probably a bit small for the last.

Anyone have opinions re: pencilfish? Always liked the look.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know the name of this little ray of sunshine?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fresh water, around 18 inches. My dad thinks it's some sort of trout, and I think he's right. Dude sent me that idea like 30 seconds after I messaged him. I actually had to tell him I was impressed, which is something either one of us would gloat about for weeks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

The one I linked is a baby. Google image search Sabre tusks and you'll find some photos that look a lot more like the mystery fish.

Desert Bus posted:

Looks like Hydrolycus armatus.

Looking at pics yeah I think y'all are on the money. Thing is downright intimidating in person, more so than great barracuda even cause it looks so pissed. Silver toothy fish are so much more mean looking than sharks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Going with Forktailed rainbows (P. Furcatus probably) and I have a couple questions if you have any experience with them.

1. Good ratio of males to females? Going 8 probably in a 90 liter tank. Thinking 2-6 or 3-5.

2. I know these guys are jumpers. How much clearance you expect them to get? 10cm? 15? 20? Gonna build up some clear laminate walls.

3. What do you think about food? Peas, pellet and brine?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got four rear end snails when pond snails were just starting to be a problem. I gave three back like a week later because 4 was hilarious overkill and they had eaten themselves out of a job.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well I was planning on getting some rather pretty apistos from my LFS yesterday. I reserved them on Wednesday and they were gorgeous. Went Saturday around 4 and everything in their tank was dead, the fish store didn't even notice. Judging by the state of the fish, some looked dead for a couple days and some for a few hours, it was an ammonia spike that probably killed them. They're getting some more in on Wednesday and I'm racing to set up a quarantine tank. I don't trust them to hold onto the fish anymore. Any tips for preventative treatment?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 9, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Quarantine tank. Sponges are currently in my tank. Anything I missed?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yup, wrote it backwards on the outside in dry erase so it's legible from the inside. Quarantine tanks always seemed kinda unsavory to me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

I usually use melafix because the LFS in my area seem to have issues with harmful bacteria causing bloat and swim bladder issues.

You, uh, got a second favorite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

I still can't believe that price.

It's one of two things:

1. Korea is a huge fan of crazy huge tariff on things that they don't even produce for no apparent reason. Want to know why there's a literal 400% tariff on oatmeal in Korea? Me too.

2. There are hardly any online marketplaces in Korea, so the level of competition would be on par with 1900 era steel in the United States. My friend Don'tAskKant noticed today there was a product that sold in Korean dollar stores last year that's selling for 168 USD on Gmarket right now. It's six plastic non-trademarked fondant molds. Yup.