Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
pulling the trigger on these guys tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

Pretty sure it is Apistogramma Agassizii "Fire Red Flame Tail"

So I saw an Apisto at my LFS and grabbed it because this is the first one I've seen in my area, I have the aquarium space and no willpower. It was being sold as a male Apistogramma Agassizii 'Rio Tefe'. It doesn't seem to look like Agassizii 'Rio Tefe" at all, and I think it must be some other Apisto, perhaps Macmasteri. Does anyone have an idea of what Apisto species this is?

I think you're right on both. I was looking at a lot of Macs yesterday trying to figure out what mine was, it really looks like that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Agassizi are in the quarantine tank. They also are really, really not amused. Poor things are scared stiff, though granted they've been in the tank for only 3 hours. If they don't show less fear soon I'll paper off the front of the tank too.

Eating blood worms like they're starving though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're much calmer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Temped to trade in one of my female Apistogramma agassiziis because she's... kinda a dick. I'm used to a little aggression, but she's just charging in and pecking at everything. She really mussed up one of the male's pectorals and I think she's overestimating her expendability.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my ottos divebombed my new A. Agassizii male just yesterday and thunked off him like a stone. Weird, maybe he can't see, or maybe the appisto said something rude about his mother. I watched the tank for another 15 minutes to see if it was isolated and as far as I can tell it was the only time he did it.

Killer Otos. :kimchi:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Definitely not my thing, but it does definitely have a strange charm to it.

Has anyone else seen the territorial posture of Appistos? It's adorable. They turn their back on the offending fish, do jazz fins with their tail up, and moonwalk [swim?] towards the offending party. I can't imagine anything less intimidating.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I saw a half moon betta in Taipei that had the coloration of a showa koi. I tried to take a pic and the owner yelled at me. Funny because there were no signs against cameras.

Never seen a betta like that before or since.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had an African clawed frog growing up. He grew to 7 inches nose to but before croaking. Little guy owned.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My male Appisto has some mild pop-eye. I can set up a quarantine tank, but I'm not sure if I should stress out the fish. There's no damage to the cornea and he's eating like a pig. I'm worried it'll be damaged further if I chase him around with a net. What do y'all think? Salt bath or leave him alone and go to every other day water changes?

Fish so classy he grew a monocle.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Time to play America's favorite game show!

It's:

Having CO2 and LEDs doesn't suck.

Look at that lighting. :allears:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dantu posted:

This is getting ridiculous. My pet firemouth tank idea is failing miserably. I haven't seen him outside of the PVC pipe since I got him, and I think we are going on three or four months now.

Others have said it but if it's a one fish tank he could use some dithers to make him comfortable.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why would getting rid of frogbit be hard? They're about as big as a golf ball and free floating. Just scoop 'em out. I cull all but three or four every week, specifically because I like having them grow and suck up nutrients.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

My dragonscale betta is pretty much restricted to a narrow 45' forward cone of vision thanks to encroaching pigments. :smith: If food isnt dropped right in front of him he cant see it. It's still progressing too so it's likely one day he's going to be completely blind and I dont know how the hell you're supposed to get a blind fish to find food.

Copious amounts of garlic?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ansith posted:

I found a video on my phone of my 50g in it's early stages. I'm not sure if the corys just thought the GBR was one of them or what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstYb08tbbk

This is so cute. They think they're people rams.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Cichlid's tail is chewed up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've kept assassin snails and amanos for about 8 months and they've never napped one.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

I got a 45 tall tank and stand for pretty much free. I have been wanting to do a planted FW tank for awhile, I figure I might as well do it with this tank. Can anyone point me towards some lights that will grow plants in a tank this deep (24")?

I'm a huge fan of buildmyled

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

newts posted:

Smirk: You have way too few plants for that sort of set-up to compete with the algae. And the plants you do have (Anubias) are very slow growers which aren't going to pull a lot of nutrients from the water. You're all set up for some fast-growing stem plants, so why not plant them?

I'm a huge fan of frogbit. It's basically giant duckweed. They grow super fast and suck up nutrients but they're very easy to remove so you don't get a takeover or infestation like the duck of death.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Driftwood in Korea was so cheap.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really miss my tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Been really missing my aquarium lately. Live in a region with hard rear end water now and don't want to go through all the effort for the stuff I want.