Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Man, id love a huge tank. Specially with catfish, pangasius, clown knives, :3: i just cant get over how ugly monster tanks look. Closs to bare bottom, with maybe wood or some rocks. I would want a nice planted tank in a huge aquarium and go for many smaller fish instjead. ...and probably give in and end up getting a clown knife because oh god i want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
If youre gunna go through that much trouble, why not just use other floaters. Theyre just as good. Well, I dont know if theyre just as good/better.. need a science experiment for that.

2nding frogbit and dwl is great too. I've got alot of red root floaters now which look awesome.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I have never heard of folks using a fish filter in lieu of a legit cat fountain but.. I can't really see why not atm. The back of that filter attaches by suction cups and theres a slight hook on top too, the actual bowl needs to reach the suction cups at least. The cartridges it uses already has a carbon thing to clear the water.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

this is my shrimp "bowl". Basically a deep blue 1 g for bettas. Really thin layer of fluorite because its all I had at the time and then I jammed in everything I could. a small piece of manzanita, a rock, and a piece of cuttlebone. and then anacharis, watersprite, java fern, some moss, floaters, maybe najas grass, and I dont even know what. I probably have about 40-50 shrimp in there (mix of rcs, sakuras, babaulti, rili mixes, wild type neo) since I had someone recently gift me about 30 peewee things. Other living things are worms, ostracods, and mts, and ramshorn and pond snails..I have a blue ramshorn in there :3:

Seems to be doing okay.. 50 adult shrimp sound very very overstocked, but theyre babies now and i hardly feed. And theyre doing okay I think. no water changes yet. I hardly see shrimp in there since its such a tangled mess (plants are really only for water quality, not trying any scaping) and its grown quite a bit since I tossed plants in. Pulled out a lot of anacharis recently to give away so that left side is a bit more empty.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

local petco started stocking the most coveted chili rasboras O___o bizarre to see some nanofish oddities in there, along with emerald rasboras.

Bought a few new fish, so it is time for my very rare but very needed water change..I need a python! (or a sink that can hook on to that adapter ring thingy? because I already own a python)

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

i managed to kill pothos once :smug:

Clipped off the rest of the live bits and its growing happily now in my hob but. it was dicey goings there for a while :X

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

those otos going to town in that gifs killing me oh my god hahaha i love them.
Ive got an ac110 on a 20g for goldfish and what the hell poop man. I dont even FEED THEM regularly >: ( i do want fancy goldfish eventually though. one or two. ...or three. or a lot of chubbykins.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

What other fish would you keep with goldfish?

I always recommend white clouds and rosyreds... but thinking if paradise fish and possibly buenos aires tetras, though I'm not sure how boisterous they get. CPDs- but thinking they are too small and will get more stressed out/possibly eaten by goldies.
The argument is that goldfish are messy poop factories and degrade water condition more than tropical fish- but assuming you keep goldfish in proper conditions aka cycled tank with regular pwc/ no ammonia, shouldnt it be okay?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

Those aren't otos; they're Siamese algae eaters. That goldfish is bigger than you think. :)

i am suddenly terrified at that goldfish.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

A mild rant while im on break.

Customer explains she has a 29g heated tank, asks for definition of koi/goldies vs freshwater and tropical.
I explain the coldwater difference and show her the easy livebearers to start with, since she already has a heater in and you cant put too many goldfish in that tank if she went that route. She says ok and starts picking out some platies. Asks how big goldfish get. I tell her. Then she walks over to one and says i want that one. WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU. WHY DO I EVEN EXPLAIN?

Also while we're on the topic of mailed plants..anyone wanna try out some floating antler fern? Fantastic floater. I threw a ginormous bunch outside recently during trimming but they should still be alive. Free uh, clinging duckweed and other floaters. Got red root floater too if anyone wants.

Ok back to work!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Had him for 3 years? 4-5 inches is already pretty big... but I do tell people those 2.50 2 inch goldies will get that big in a few years.

i did mention your goldfish to that lady :smug:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Sick fish :(
I had a gold danio that died recently with this sore on its caudal base ..it seemed to get worse but it was still swimmingly actively so I thought nothing of it except to keep water clean until it up and died. Other fish are all fine until I see another danio with one pop eye. And it got worse over the week until it become 2 bad eyes and red spots all over her body and today the fish looks like its skine exploded :(

last week

today

I started furan-2 yesterday, I've been depressed all week about this poor thing and had a nightmare last night that I woke up to half my tank dead. uuugh. It doesnt look good for that fish but maybe I can wipe out whatever bacteria is hanging around..I dont know how else to help it along. Theres some salt in there. I dont want to quarantine it because Im sure its still a speedy thing that Ill have to chase with a net forever and stress it out x100 and hurt its body and eyeballs while I net it out of the water.

Water is showing alright except for 40 nitrates..which I figured was okay since I needed a nitrogen source for all the plants, I will be diong more water changes according to the medication instructions.

I dont have a very colorful tank but the big ol swimming danios are one of my favourites in there

found a mysteryfish last week that I picked up too since it looked like some sort of danio/rasbora.

my molluskythings arent too happy either (spot the baby bristlenose!) and Im wondering what I should dose to help it out. water is super super super soft. on the tetra test strips, it read <75gh, 0 kh, and pH looks under 6.2. I threw in cuttlebone before and I will add more baking soda, but Im not sure what else would be a good source of calcium/minerals for shelly dudes.

Finally some potential pairings

These 2 I put outside in a bin and theres a bubblenest but not sure about eggs

hes possibly going with a female that should be shipped today!

Malalol fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 30, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

tboeske01 posted:

I have no plans to keep them in a tank too small for them.

man that is such a pet peeve of mine when people say that. Not you, but Im reminded of work where Im practically begging people to not pick out that Id and they insist. This guy gets 3 id sharks, 2 african knives, some gouramis, pictus, tetras.. for a 20g I believe, im going THIS FISH GETS LIKE OVER 3-4 FEET. "Oh its okay ill move it to a bigger tank when its big. I got a 50 gal" NO FK THAT WHAT DIDDNT YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THREE FEET.

If I hear that 'Oh Ill just move it to a bigger tank' it seriously is a giant downer because I know they arent. Some people, yes. But most people are ones that think 55g is a large tank and adequate for everything. HNNGGG!

WOnderful, you have a 90g!! watcha got in there? Oh like 8 or 8 or 9 koi.
or
Yes, heres your 2 clown knives and ropefishes..for your..30g...I believe they'll outgrow that tank innnnnnnnn right about........now.

rant of the day/ sorry.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I want the hell out of an oscar even though theyre kinda lame to me when little. But you see a giant 15+ incher staring you down and its like...I WANT TO PET YOU! How big is that fella in comparison to a full tank shot?
edit: she looks like an albino football

eggyolk posted:

Thanks for the heads up. His tank is going to be a 20 gallon turtle specific. This one here. He's just under 3 inches now that we actually measure. We'll stick to feeding him healthy looking live minnows from my breeder tank project. I'll update with pictures when the new tank arrives.

well...3 inches is good in the sense that it will fit a smaller tank for now... but not so great that its so stunted? But TBH, that tank is a complete waste of money, did you purchase it already?

For $140..
well.

Petco has the $/g sale going on so, pick up a 20L for $20 plus the screen top. And youll have $100 to spend on lights and a nice filter. Unless youre suspending it over that tank, I have no idea where you are going to put them. Then buy a 10g for 10bux and raise some guppy feeders. If you really want a 'turtle' kit tank:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Aw im sorry :( what about plant gravellike ecocimplete. I find that its pretty fine. But not sand fine. Or those giant river rocks, larger than dime sized.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Gertrudaes are awesome I love em. But they are so tiny. Hard to see in my tank. Furcatas are significantly larger. But also pretty!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

^ Wow I love the way that looks. I've been looking for some parrots feather and hyacinth..if you ever have any trimmings youre tossing, Id love to nab some!

I went to the LFS store with no intention of buying fish but ended up adding to the cory party. Sigh. And picked up some mystery fish.

I've got C trilineatus, delphax, leucomelas, reticulatus, rabauti (i think), and now arcuatus. :3: Got pygmies in another tank, but its about time i get some darn sterbais and pandas.

mystery fish if anyone wants to give a shot at ID. silvery tetras, one with a yellow/red irid spot, the other reaaaaaaaaaaaally looks like a black neon but not.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Both of those white ones are albino bristlenose pleco. the whiskery one is the male. They only get about 4, maybe 5 inches long.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah, it was uh, substrate in a bathroom caddy type cup for emersed plants. Then it fell and balls went everywhere and was just too lazy to ever pick those stupid things back up. Tried shoving most in just one side of the tank, hah. I also used it in my hob.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB6-t-WHxPA

Cory party?

CORY PARTY!
I'm not good at uh, keeping track of what fish I actually own but the latest count is 18 cories. I also dont know how to make ipad videos not so long and skinny :( Ive got..false juliis, reticulated, skunk, elegant, delphax, rabauti, leucomelas. They spend hours doing the swimming up and down thing at the side of the tank so it looks like a ferris wheel of cories.

there are never enough cories.

Also managed an ID for these 2 things..they are simply Brass/gold tetras! Apparently, the typical silvery fish you see is a wild caught fish- the pigment is to deter parasites? And farmed brass tetras dont have that issue so they look totally different. And really really nice, if you ask me. The problem is that they school with my white clouds who have similar striping vs the actual brass tetras I have in my tank too.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

^I love cpds! nanofish are the best.
I really think you need a small tank with good lighting to make them shine. I had smaller fish in a 20 and they looked *okay* ..once I dumped em into a 72 with low lighting it was just like..what fish? Their colours dont come out at all.

My babies! I had an incident with a failed spawn(nest fell apart, daddy dont care) so I ended up removing the 2 fish and leaving the tank to sit with no filter/light anything. only to discover a month later when I finally decided to dump the tank that..babies :gonk: where did they come from. mostly half dying really tiny things. I managed to salvage the largest ones and they are doing super now. Actual feeding + water changes and theyve been growing like crazy. Theyre gunna be HMxHMPK, Im hoping they grow up healthy and not fked up because of my total neglect :( Theres about 7 or so that I can count which is a completely fine number for me to concentrate on.

edit: A few more betta ramblings.
I'm not sure what I should be concentrating on..this spawn was supposed to be a more..form fixer. The male has great fins, the female has some excessive finnage that are messy but I like her body. I saw an EE HMPK that I really really wanted to pick up to maybe possibly incorporate EE genes into these babies if they turn out well and then just somehow linebreed that to bring the EE fins out. But I passed. I'm so new at this and people generally suggest working on colour from solid lines but to me, that is boring. I would rather work on some nicer formed fish but seeing where their mixed colours take me.

the parents, hes got a slopey head, so maybe theyll balance out.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

were they all males because
BABIES EVERYWHERE?

If youre just doing it for algae control, I could probably send you some MTS

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Maybe some more tiger barbs will make them feel more at home?

Zandorv posted:

I'm having issues with my Betta and feeding. Over the past couple of weeks I found that whenever I feed him, he begins to bloat and pinecone. At first I thought it was dropsy, but when I fasted him, he went back down and acted like his old happy self again. When I started feeding him again, he started bloating and pineconing again and seemed to have some swim bladder issues. I fasted him again and now he's gone back down and is acting just fine. I have no idea what this could be. Are these normal signs of some kind of chronic constipation issue or something? Should I just change his food, or is there something more serious going on?

Edit: I forgot to mention that he is not just pineconing around his belly where the food should be if he's constipated; he starts pineconing everywhere on his body like with dropsy.

thats scary sounding, because regular bloat wouldnt be total body pineconeage. Check water params maybe? How much do you feed? I'd try maybe fasting multiple days and feeding only 2-3x a week with just 1-3 pellets... see if that still 'bloats' him

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

otocinclus catfish.. very very cute lil' social buggers that love soft algae. I find that snails clean up pretty well too, like a big mystery snail or something. or just wipe it away with a sponge!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

weelings :3:
bettas are the best

. Some are the same but its a mix of two spawns

Malalol fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 22, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

No
1. died and got eaten, might be boney remains after 1 night
2. jumped out
3. hiding
4. hiding REALLY REALLY WELL

I have a small clown pleco that I bought and never saw for MONTHS, Ive been catchling glimpses of him a lot more recently lately but usually I saw the thing every couple o months for a few seconds before it ran away again.

What kind of catfish?
If its a pictus, they are usually kinda active. Can't think of other stripey ones. Raphaels like to hide.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

grow faster :3:

I am seeking an elephant ear female but I dont really want to splurge on online shipping, wonder if any LFS will order some for me.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

oh god no azolla
ill take frogbit anyday
Ive got both outside, frogbits got like, roots 1 foot long haha...but the azolla? everywhere. so much. its like duckweed.

e: (ill mail anyone a elephant ton of azlla if they really need it)
e2: baby bettas have stripes because they dont have full on colour yet :3:

Malalol fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 3, 2013

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Is prolly just me, but if theyre just bettas, I'd bag them up (separately of course) in a large fish bag with air, pack em together into a box/bucket so they wont slosh as much and call it a day. Assuming the temps arent insane, theyd be absolutely fine. No bubbles needed. They get mailed all the time in like, 1oz of water close to no oxygen or something and have a 95% survival rate. Can't ever be too careful but the idea of 4 different 5 gallon buckets with battery powered air pumps sounds over the top to me. If no fishbags, those gallon ziploc bags, doublebagged and tape down the corners.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Its a scaling difference instead of tail shape.. just thicker pigment on top of the betta. Which sometimes causes the pigmentation to grow all over the eye :( I see it a lot in white bettas/dragons. Shouldnt be a big issue unless its really really bad (covers all of the eye)

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

some sort of hygro

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I would do maybe, 10-20~ rummies, 1 gourami, 6-10~ diamond tetras. If you really want the molly, go for one :D for a few. and have babies. Get a more powerful filter, keep up with water changes. Id probably be called out on overstocking, but I am personally okay with stocking levels like that as long as water quality is kept tiptop. Wouldnt add all at once though.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

kribs are assholes but beautiful. still can't get rid of my fry because they MAKE SO MANY BABIES!

No fighting with the gouramis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

blueberry shrimp?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98121