Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One thing about cherry shrimp is they will breed. Its pretty neat, but it does get worrying when you start with only 6 and then suddenly there's 50 of them a year down the line, then they all die out from inbreeding awhile later. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

got any pics of these plants?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yikes at the resulting plants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfSPxDO9850

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best local aquarium is closing down, with the owner deciding that 20 years is enough fishy business. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In any case that doesnt mean you should load it up right away with all the fish it can support at maximum. Start slow and easy. monitor the levels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I miss havin shrimp around. not missin the dried up shrimp I'd find around the tank tho.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That seems like it's way, way worse, unless there's some agitation going on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're cleaning it in the tank then... everything that was in the filter is dumped into the water for awhile til it just gets sucked back into the filter and ? :|

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckweed will cut down on light and soak up nutrients and you'll have a ton of duckweed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wow v rude to the snails and corals (they're all cute)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

but he's immune to coronavirus now.

https://twitter.com/gaileyfrey/status/1241503923589902336?s=20

massive snail thread

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on how crowded it is and how active your betta likes to be. I kept a solo betta with some snails and shrimp in a tank that size for awhile and it seems like a decent size.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

uuuuuuuuuuuuuh

the stuff on his desk that isnt the aquarium...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why not driftwood then? Probably will need to soak/boil for awhile for a cichlid tank but that seems like a nice lightweight alternative and isnt chunks of plastic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Defininitely looks less than great. if you can, redo it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, that top picture especially looks like the only thing holding it together is a prayer and the new(?) interior silicone. the wall to wall silicone is in really bad shape. In the bottom picture the left side of the joins are dark and clear, which is properly sealed but they're already breaking up on the right side. Any stuff which is whitish is not watertight at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

even then it'll just go dormant. I had an old driftwood I removed and stored for a few years, dry. When I put it back in a tank it was sprouting moss again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

(also pictured: shithead who jumped in while I was working on it)

'This is the fanciest litterbox I've ever pooped in'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I loved my shrimp. Just how industriously all their little limbs pick over everything is great to watch. Its like an adorable little bit of industrial machinery. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Feels like I've had it forever... it probably has! but I'm packing up my nano tank to sell, along with most of my aquarium gear. Then I'll just be left with jars of anubias and ferns, no fishies. -.- Ugh, theres not enough hours in a day for me to care for all my dumb hobbies though! :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I want some little shrimpies so bad. I don't care that my husband thinks they're creepy underwater spiders.

Just tell him you'll only get a handful and dont mention how fast they reproduce :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shreeeemp!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

How many generations of shrimp do you need before inbreeding becomes a problem. Clearly they don't have the same issues a humans do

4 shrimp is a pretty tiny gene pool to work from

my founding population of 6 red cherry shrimp started a colony that survived for 3-4 years with some really deformed shrimp at the end then the population dramatically crashed to near nothing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i dont have a tank anymore but i do love watching great lil tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woSFGeMpoxI

noticed a new channel with great videos on aquarium builds and becoming fully mature tanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

adding little 'nyam' noises to fish eating elevates things like 400%

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sockser posted:

Got some plant fertilizer for my tank (Seachem Flourish) and noticed it has trace amounts of copper. Given that my tank(s) have shrimp and snails, that sketches me out. Googling says that it should be "fine" but I'd really rather not chance it. Is there a goon-recommended plant fertilizer?

I used that for ages with my shrimp and snails, its fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Java moss is a good aquarium friend.