Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm setting up my very first aquarium!

I got a 20 gallon starter kit and it seems to be humming along and test strips have all come back good but I'm not really sure what my next move is. Add some plants? Get the fish? Get the fish and plants together? I'm only planning on having a 6-10 guppies and tetras and am a complete and utter beginner at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Alright, that's what I needed to know! Plants first, a snail, wait for a bit then get the fish.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm Minnesotan so basically, yes.

I'm going to seek out some plants after work today, first I've got to get some glue. A few websites that I've looked at mention that you should attach these plants to "porous rocks." Can I just grab some from the parking lot islands and rinse them off really, really well or are there "special" rocks I should get (sounds really dumb when I type it out but that's going to be 95% of my posts as I get this thing up and running)?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Should I get plants and a snail at the same time or get plants first and wait for them to gunk up the tank a little for the snail?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Update: for some incomprehensible reason, there are no Nerite snails to be found anywhere in the Twin Cities for love or money.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's good stuff, I'll take a watch when I get a chance!

I'm finding that I'm actually getting a lot of enjoyment out of planning and making a little underwater diorama and the actual fish are going to be somewhat secondary to all of this. You know what I think would look cool? A model airplane, WWII era, lying on the bottom like it crashed and sunk in the ocean. I wonder if I can pull that off without poisoning the water.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Stage 3 of preparations are complete:

His name is Dr. Snailbert.

I'll run through some test strips tomorrow and Saturday but I think it might be getting time to actually put some fish in this fish tank!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I got some fish! Four little tetras. I brought a water sample in to PetSmart and they tested it then upsold me on some starter bacteria which, fine, it was only $8.

The little guys mostly huddled in the bottom the first day and then yesterday were more active and darting around. Hopefully that means they were exploring their new area and not trying to escape a hostile environment.

But one of them was dead this morning. :( The other three all seemed fine and thinking back yesterday afternoon I did notice that three of them were sticking together pretty much constantly but one was going off on its own more and more. I'm "hoping" this means that I just got one that was at the end of its life but I'm still worried what I'll find when I get home this afternoon.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Update: all three fish looked perfectly fine this morning. I couldn't find Dr. Snailbert yesterday afternoon which was a little concerning but I assumed he'd burrowed under something. Sure enough, this morning he had ascended to the top of that mountain-like decoration I have and was waving his antenna around in triumph.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When should I do my first water change? Here's the timeline as of today:

Plants - 1 week
Snail - 5 days
Fish - 3 days

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I would probably do a 20% water change today or tomorrow if it's a new tank, out of an abundance of caution, since you recently added the fish and another one in 5 days

Pls post photos of Dr snail and fish

The good doctor has been doing a lot more climbing recently. Earlier today I watched him make a few laps over the round rock in the next picture.

Lookit these little guys. :3: They've been darting around a lot more starting today instead of sticking to the corners of the tank. There's two that are almost always together and a third that's a bit more of a loner and goes off on his own.

I'll give the water a change tomorrow and then if all is still going well, add a handful more fish on Saturday.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How do fish know when I'm trying to take a picture of them and start darting around all willy-nilly?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So this cloudiness is to be expected and not something to worry about? I've done one water change since getting the majority of the fish, going to do another one this weekend at about the 2-week point from the last one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think my snail is broken.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My nerite snail died. :(

All ten tetras that have been in the tank just a little shorter than the snail are doing fine and the testing strips are all showing normal. Over the last month I did notice the snail was falling more, like he'd be on a plant or at the waterline and just let go and sink. Then over the weekend he started really slowing down and just stopped. Do they just ... get old?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's the difference between a black nerite snail and a black racer nerite snail? I want to replace the deceased Snailbert but the local shop only had the latter.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So it's just a matter of slight appearance then, not an issue of if I buy this kind my tank will eventually be overflowing with snails like in the Star Trek episode with the tribbles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Here's some photos of the 20G tank. Stocking is about a 10 CPDs and 10 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, a pair of Otocinclus, 1 mystery snail, and 1 nerite snail. Plus some blue velvet shrimp (which I think are mutiplying), a handful of Caridina gracilirostris, and some of the aquatic arts Sun Orange Amano Shrimp. No CO2, no heater, so this is actually pretty low maintenance.

On the plant side I've got everything from the old 10G tank, plus some Cabomba Caroliniana and Anacharis Elodea in the back. SOme jade lotus moss on the small driftwood chunk near the front - which is finally showing some new growth.

I'm also now using a trio of Brazilian Pennywort stems to hold an island of red root floaters in place (and away from the surface skimmer) against the current. Originally the surface skimmer was constantly getting surrounded by floating plants - but as the Pennywort reached the surface I noticed the floating bits were doing a great job holding things in place so i went with it. Now I rarely have floaters reach the surface skimmer while the island of floaters provides shade for the shade loving plants near the middle/front of the tank while the rear (with the taller/light loving plants) gets full light.

Is that gravel or dirt?