Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Malalol posted:

i am suddenly terrified at that goldfish.

Goldfishzilla. I remember my uncle keeping some goldfish in a bathtub he sunk out in the yard. Those things would scare off cats and birds. I'd love to keep goldfish again one day, but I don't think I can have a tank big enough in this apartment for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

Thanks for the quick response, I'll look into them! Any others you can think of that I can sort through by chance?

Apistogramma are pretty cool.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I would love to buy zebra plecos one day when I'm in an apartment that'll let me have a tank big enough for 'em. I love those little guys. Even if someone sells at a price I don't like, I just mention that I'll think it over or come back later. It just seems really counterproductive to be rude to someone selling an incredibly rare fish.

I prefer darker substrate because most fish color up better living in it. But I'm weird.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Zarbo posted:

Hey accidents do happen, especially with fish keeping, don't beat yourself up over it. It is not your intentions where to kill any fish.

Yeah, I cried the night my filter cover fell off and sucked up a bunch of my shrimp. :( I felt so horrible.

Though, the cover still works once I got it back on (and it keeps fish and baby fish from getting sucked in)... man, that was a horrible feeling.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Same fate happened to one of my previous bettas. They dry up hard :smith:

Yeah, poor Samurai Sam. He was one of my first bettas and I swear he had a death wish. He loved to try to hop out of the tank. Sadly, one day he managed to get out through a gap between the lid and filter. My dad managed to see a very happy tabby cat bobbing out with a betta in its mouth. :(

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Somehow, despite mentioning Assassin Snails, I didn't think to suggest getting some. That is the best solution.

Assassin snail. Best snail.

Only snail.

Though, I noticed one going after one of my pumpkin shrimps. :(

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I kept cories and shrimp together for quite a while too and never had any problems. Makes for quite a lively looking tank too.

Javas, anubias and mosses are super easy to grow, even in terrible light. The only thing that will give you issues is that the moss will be sparser in lower light. I've had all three growing from cutoffs and extras I've just tossed in a fishbowl I've had sitting in a shady corner and they're doing fine for being ignored all the time.

Yeah, I had a 7 pack of dwarf cories and orange dwarf shrimp. It was pretty great. One of the shrimp grabbed onto the catfish and tried to ride it around.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I inherited a 17 gallon tank. All it comes with is a really cool piece of wood, a hood and some mystery LEDs.

I am thinking I want to do a planted tank.

For stocking, is there a stock calculator? I'm kind of eyeing dwarf catfishes (CORYS 4 LYFE), maybe some teeny otos, and I have a list of livestock I'd like to pick and mix or options.

I'm torn between sparkling gouramis, peacock gobies/gudgeon, a betta+some bros, dwarf shrimps...

Edit: I like CPDs, nanofishes... I just can't decide. The peacock gobies and catfish? A dwarf cichlid or two? And I don't mean that I'm going to stock ALL OF THESE.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 15, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Aqadvisor is what I used to figure things out.

Thanks! This is really handy. I'm kinda wondering if anyone has experience with the peacock goby/peacock gudgeon.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Will do, thank you! They look completely adorable. Are they relatively dwarf shrimp compatible? Someone recommended them to me and I think I am enamored with the little guys. Do I want a specific ratio of males to females?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I want to get a Fluval Spec V, and start a lowish tech planted tank.

I am thinking a single dwarf puffer or a male betta. Will a single pea puffer be happy in that tank?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

The store only carries new ones, which have a lower/adjustable flow for the filter.

And thank you for the advice, I've had many tanks on and off over the years. My plan was fishless cycle+ammonia+safe start bacteria and bumming some from my sister's established tank. I just love puffers, so it's a hard call. :(

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, for a planted tank, would a pack of seachem basics (flourish, excel, iron) be sufficient? I'm mostly aiming at a low tech tank because I don't feel comfortable setting up a CO2 setup. I'm buying my supplies in advance of the tank, so I'm just trying to decide what's important.

The substrate I am going to get is ecocomplete.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

1) The fluval spec v has an opening under the light. Can I cut some plastic for it or will it be betta safe even open?

2) I mostly want some easier plants, like java moss, a few crypts and maybe a buceph or two. Anubias are definitely happening. I'd like a marimo, too. I used ecocomplete and flourish before, but I might try that thrive stuff so I don't have to juggle so many. My bioload may be some nerites, scrimps and a single betta. Should I invest in excel or just not do fertilizers? I'm aiming for a low tech-y set up.

3) Have people had good experiences with betta transshippers? The only fish store here is a lovely petsmart that sells goldfish bowls and betta cups.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

A handful of zeolite in a filter might help, too.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, my plants will be arriving before my tank (which was delayed despite me getting prime shipping from Amazon). Most of them are tissue cultured. How can I store them safely? Will they be okay?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks, I'm so excited. I have some established filter media and SafeStart. With ammonia and plants, and seachem prime, how long should a fishless/invertless cycle go?

I'm also trying to find a source that isn't aquatic arts for nerite snails.

I'm not in a super rush, since I haven't decided if I want shrimp or a betta in the 5 gallon anyway.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, a few questions:

Can I put my bucephalandra green wavy into substrate?

If not, can I attach it to a log where I have Christmas moss growing?

I have been doing a fishless cycle, and my betta is being shipped Monday. Will my bacteria hold out for a few days? Should I feed them more ammonia?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

Just discovered my for sale ad wasn't accepted on Facebook, not that they told me at the time, because it's not permissible to offer live animals. I'm really starting to worry I might never rehome these poor dumb critters.

Try a UK fishkeepers forum? I know plantedtank.net has some UK denizens.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So I want some scrimps and nerites in my fluval spec V. But the center of the lid has a hole under the light. Could I use saran wrap or clear plastic canvas to plug the gap?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Oh my gosh, what a cutie. Hi Jr fish!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I adore buceplant. I got some great tissue cultured ones, so I don't gotta worry about snails and algae. They also have pretty good shipping and prices.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

They are faster, but less accurate.

Also I've kind of avoided aquatic arts because they import their shrimp and have that weird, green fungusy disease in a lot of them. I honestly just bought a beginner's pack from buce plant, and some extras I liked. I finally have the green wavy buceph of my dreams and a crypt wendtii gecko!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I got my betta! He's so sweet and chill. He hasn't flared at anything once. But he loves coming up to me when I watch the tank, begging for treats and sitting in leaves. I need to name him, though.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Also, sometimes using two nets help. Think of one net as your sheep dog, and the other where you want them to go. Or a container+a net.

Also, I discovered our tap water has nitrites in it. This blows.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm getting yellow dwarf scrimps for Christmas!

What's a good metal mesh to put over the filter slots?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Sadly, I lost a few plants. :( I guess moderate light is not what I've got.

I do have two cool tiger nerites named Doomba and Roomba, and I'm waiting for red racers to come back into stock. I never had snails before, and I already love these little guys. I'd love to try mystery/apple snails one day.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Is it a good idea to pick up a ghost shrimp from Petsmart to see if my betta will go after shrimp before I get my yellow scrimps?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So far, he is chill with the red and black tiger nerites. Except when he's a cheeky bastard and steals some of their snail stixx. :3: We'll see how it goes. He's an incredibly chill little guy. I've never had one so chill.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I did some SERIOUS diatom scraping, gently rubbed them off my plants, added in my new lowlight plants and hopefully this means my nerites will stop hiding in the log. Sadly, my anubias is coming a little loose from the log. :argh: so I'm gonna have to retie it. My java fern has little leaves coming out of the leaves? Does that mean it's happy?

I'm also debating cutting this nitrazorb in half and sewing the bag up. It's not fitting well in my fluval's filter component.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I LOVE my nerites. The red racers are the CUTEST. And they roomba all about.

I am trying to make sure I keep the mulm cleaned. I have some brushy algae that has a date with a toothbrush and some excel. I put in one squirt of Nilcog S thrive weekly. Is that too many nutrients for an 8 hour a day low tech? It's a low flow tank because betta.

I just wish I could *find* any trace of ghost shrimp. They were chilling and the betta was ignoring them earlier, but now I can't find hide nor hair. Not even body parts.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

My snails LOVE snail stixx and algae wafers, so those're great.

And if my betta got hungry, I would think I'd see BITS or SOMETHING.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

It's weird because these were full nearly two inch ghost shrimp and he's... not. Oh well. If I don't see them soon, I'm gonna assume murder and not get the yellow scrimps.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Maybe I'll get some red culls or dark colored shrimp. I've got a pretty bushy plant set up, a moss coconut bunny and a ceramic log going.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Man. My anarchis stems are melting. :( Crypts are groovin', the bulb plant is groovin', moss seems happy but not the stems...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I was told they really didn't, and are one of the most shrimp safe fish ever. Also, otos are just awesome and cute but you do need to get them in a pack.

Edit: I'm biased because otos are cute and sweet and awesome.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 22, 2019

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

The Cobalt NeoTherms are good. My Hyodr is doing great, too and is submersible. Hyodr's nice if you're on a budget.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I finally named my betta. Galaxy Yarn is a good swimmy boi. We're winning the battle on the diatoms, but I still seem to be a Christmas moss murderer. Maybe I'll try Java Moss....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

wuffles posted:

came home to an oto party

Ain't no party like an oto party, cuz an oto party don't stop!