Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chichevache posted:

I've spray painted my 30 gallon and got everything all set up now. I only have a few pieces of Ohko stone so far, but I like what my scape looks like at the moment. I'm going to pick up some more pieces when I'm in the Bay Area next week, assuming they have some. The pictures look a little washed out thanks to a quick point and shoot, but the rocks and substrate are much redder in real life. The Ohko stone is particularly attractive with shades of orange and yellow all throughout it. I will be back in San Jose next week, so when I get back I would like to begin my dry start of the HC. If anyone else has found a good FAQ for how to do a dry start I would love a link to it.

This is the spray paint I used. Don't buy it. The spray is uneven and chunky and no amount of shaking helps. Avoid at all costs.

The stand isn't amazing, but it has a cherry finish which goes with a lot of the other furniture we have. Please excuse the mess, we are still in the process of unpacking.

So any recommendations for the rocks? I don't have a real plan for them yet, and if any are still in the Bay Area when I get up there next week I will add more. But for now I think this is an interesting scape. I plan on doing a carpet of dwarf baby tears through the center of the tank with some taller plants on the left and rear of the tank. Beyond that I haven't really decided on much.

Well it has been quite a while since I was supposed to start the tank up, but I finally got it running a few days ago. Right now I have an amazon sword, miscellaneous anubias, and some dwarf baby tears. I don't have a CO2 tank yet so I will be relying on Flourish Excel until then. I dosed it with two capfuls two days ago and yesterday I already had some pearling from the baby tears.

How often should I be dosing with excel at the moment? The only inhabitant besides the plants is a betta I couldn't help but bring home from the store.

*edit*
I forgot, the lighting is a Finnex Ray 2 and the filtration is from an Eheim classic 250. The flow from the Eheim was too strong for the betta so I reduced it by about half.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chichevache posted:

Well it has been quite a while since I was supposed to start the tank up, but I finally got it running a few days ago. Right now I have an amazon sword, miscellaneous anubias, and some dwarf baby tears. I don't have a CO2 tank yet so I will be relying on Flourish Excel until then. I dosed it with two capfuls two days ago and yesterday I already had some pearling from the baby tears.

How often should I be dosing with excel at the moment? The only inhabitant besides the plants is a betta I couldn't help but bring home from the store.

*edit*
I forgot, the lighting is a Finnex Ray 2 and the filtration is from an Eheim classic 250. The flow from the Eheim was too strong for the betta so I reduced it by about half.

Bumping since I think it got lost on the last page.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SynthOrange posted:

You should have dosing instructions on the bottle. I used that as a guide and slowly bumped it up until the tank inhabitants protested by trying to jump out of the tank. It's used up and degrades fairly quickly once out of the lightproof bottle. I do a daily dose at any rate in the morning.

Thanks. It has dosing instructions, but I felt they were imprecise as they don't factor in how many plants I have etc. I was mainly concerned about underdosing the tank as I feel most Flourish users probably have one or two anubias without high lighting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Inaeseru posted:

Oh wow, I was looking at my fishes today when something small caught my eye. Baby guppies! Well I only saw 1 of them but I have quite a bit of plants in the tank. Help me goons what do I do now!

You get something that can eat them before your tank is overrun.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
My tank is cycling still but it has a layer of algae and grime, so I picked up 30 MTS from my lfs. God drat they are ugly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Building a yeast CO2 generator seems like a fun little project, does anyone have any horror stories to keep me from doing it?

I just started mine two days ago and my plants are already pearling.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GreyPowerVan posted:

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage....0:200909300094:

This is my current stocking so far, I was wondering if there would be enough room for a centerpiece fish of some type? Maybe a dwarf gourami or two, do they do okay alone or in pairs or would I need more?

If not a gourami, any recommendations?

EDIT: I was going to add some plants, then cycle my tank, then add in one species at a time, maybe waiting a week in between adding the next kind.

Have you considered a betta? They're too slow to harass your other fish and they make incredible center pieces. My only concern would be whether the raspboras would nip at its fins.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I would LOVE to have a Betta with my Harlequin Rasboras, but aggression aside I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy one from a fishstore that keeps them in what amounts to a marmalade jar.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the betta's aggression, if that is who you're referring to. As far as the ethics of buying one, I probably can't help you there. All I know is that I worked in a pet store for 2 years selling those poor bastards and now I feel that the least I can do is give one the best loving life those beautiful fish can have.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I just added some micro sword to my tank to get a middle ground plant for shrimp to hide in. I also trimmed the red ludwigia a bit since it is loving huge. Easily tripled in size this month. Once the dust settles I will take some photographs of my plants and my betta, Riddick.

For those of you who know Cory cats: I heard their barbels are a bit sensitive and that they prefer certain substrates, will my flourite red be too abrasive?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

whats a good ph range for a planted tank? I'm just establishing my 55 and I'm not sure what I should be aiming for.

For that matter, if its out of a solid range, what can I do to adjust it?

I guess the first step would be to find out what the PH of your tapwater is. Have you measured it yet?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry I took forever to get to this. My tapwater sits around 7.6 according to these tests. The water in my new tank is currently around 6.4-6.6 but its still cycling so I'm not sure if its just related to that.

If the ph is way off is there anything I can add to my tank once that will take care of things forever? Just want a nice and normal planted tank with some fish.

Is there a reason your tap water and tank water are so different? What is in your tank?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

Only things in the new tank are some plants to Kickstart it (couldn't tell you which), Some landscaping rocks (river rock) , and some driftwood. My other tank has a more reasonably similar pH, which makes me wonder if it's either the rock, or the pH is just weird because it's still cycling and things are just sorting themselves out.

If this isn't temporary, I can only guess that it's my rock?

Edit: VVVVV I'm reading through this, and Im pretty sure its at least not limestone as I did the whole vinegar test. Thanks though!

Could be your driftwood too. I know a lot of wood leeches tanins into the water and shift the ph balance towards acidic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

w00tmonger posted:

No its looking pretty clear. There has been some white poo poo forming on the stumps of my driftwood, so I was wondering if it might have been related.If it is tanins, is it a permanent thing?

I do have a bit of a brown algae bloom at the moment but again, just cycling.

Well if it is your decorations, and I can't imagine what else it could be, your water will probably be acidic as long as you have them. You'll have to keep that in mind when picking your stock.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Somebody get video.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I need more plants for my 20g long tank. I bought 4 plants from petsmart and everything but the Amazon Sword died, it is doing well though.

There is a chance the plants that died were not aquatic. Apparently some of the crap at petsmart is amphibious, so submerging it will kill it. I did get one sword there, though. It is doing well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Excuse the phone pictures, but I've finally got an update of my new fish. Last week I added 5 panda cories and a one-eyed cory I can't identify. One-eye isn't a panda, but I didn't want to leave him behind where he would never get a chance, so he's my rescue.

Excuse all the algae. The large plant in the back is red ludwigia and it looks amazing. Wonderful red and pink leaves. I've got two swords flanking the ludwigia and a bit of micro sword and baby tears for the foreground.

Here is One-Eye and his empty socket.

Two of my pandas. I've got dwarf baby tears up front as well as a sprinkling of micro sword that are finally coming in.

My betta, Ridick. He's black with streaks of blue and grey fluorescence. He's stunning and it is a shame I don't have a better camera to capture his coloring.

I got 30 Malaysian trumpet snails a few weeks ago. I think I have one hundred now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SocketWrench posted:

Welcome to snail keeping.

I love your Betta. I like the ones with subtle showiness like that rather than the flashy multi colored ones, myself.

Thank you. The plan was to have him as a subtle center piece. Since the background is black he isn't very noticeable until he flashes or swims to the front, which makes him look pretty impressive.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Niel posted:

You sure he's not just a plain old bronze cory? He looks like one to me, at least.

Is he? I don't know.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Aggressive pricing posted:

I was walking my dog through a swamp yesterday and found this shell:

The fibers are from the q-tips I used.

I was hoping someone could give me an idea of how old it is(I live in Eastern Ontario)and how to clean it. I used tap water, paper towel, and q-tips, but a chemical that won't damage it would be handy, though I'll go the slow way if I have to.

does it still have bits of snail in it? If so I would bury it and let the worms clean it out for a week or two.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Has anyone kept a marbled headstander before? I came across some today and I love the look, plus I could really use an algae eater. My tank is a 30 tall with a Betta and 6 cories. My main concern is the possibility of the headstander nipping the betta.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/abramites-hypselonotus/

Edit
poo poo. I'm looking over reviews of the fish and a lot of people are reporting destruction to plants and nipping, which I don't want. Will one fish be less trouble than a group?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 7, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm going out of town for the weekend and I don't have anyone to watch my tank. What should I do to make sure everyone is ok while I'm gone? I have live plants, a betta, and six cories in a 30 g.

Neitherman posted:

If I were 5 I'd probably enjoy the idea of a few panda corys. They're small, have a whimsical name, and look pretty cute. I'm just not sure how compatible they'd be with a male betta, though I assume if you give them some hiding spots they would be just fine.

Then again, I've seen from people in this thread that they reproduce like crazy, so maybe not...

I have both in a 30 and they're just fine together.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KillHour posted:

Are they going to be okay with the gravel, or do I need to replace that with sand? I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Mine are in a gravel-like substrate and they're doing well. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get some decoration/plants in the tank for all your fish.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Enos Cabell posted:

For a weekend you don't have to worry at all. Barring a prolonged power outage, your tank will be just fine. I've heard that you can go as long as a week without feeding, but I've never tried longer than 3 days.

Thanks. I'm over feeding a bit today and tomorrow, just to be safe. I'll also shorten the light to 11 hours a day to reduce activity from the betta.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Enos Cabell posted:

I like sterbai cories, they are pretty cool looking. You could do an angelfish in a tank that size too, if you don't go with a gourami.

If he is going to get neon tetras he probably shouldn't get an angel. I think I recall someone here reporting they lost tetras to the angel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

neons are like 80 cents.

I figured I should warn him in case he actually wanted to raise his fish. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

You said "lost" as in it ate a couple. If it'll tear through them like they're feeders obviously it's not a good idea, but if you can put 20 in there and lose 5 every couple months or w/e, so what. I wouldn't know what the case is with angels, but that's something to keep in mind. Especially in a planted tank where little guys can hide.

Oh no, I meant that the angel will probably take the tetras out pretty quick. My old pair took guppies like nobodies business. If they can catch the tetras they'll probably devour them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Action Jackson! posted:

I realize that this is quite expensive and that I could surf craigslist and get something for a fraction of the price but when I buy things of this nature for pets (cat condos, dog crates and the like) I have two concerns:

- Health and safety of the animal.
- Aesthetics.

Since this is going to be in a pretty prominent place in my living room I'd like it to look really nice and have the features I need so that the fish thrive. If anyone has any suggestions on a cheaper tank that fits the bill I'm all ears.

edit: I also have two douche-y cats that like to fiddle with anything that looks somewhat interesting so a tank with a proper lid would be perfect.

Generally the Edge is looked on pretty favorably around here. I think those bulbs ended up being ok for very low light plants, but if you want something like dwarf baby tears or a carpeting plant you'll probably need a stronger light.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Also I have to figure out what to do with my marineland 60 gallon. It isn't very deep but it's tall. I was thinking piranhas but I have heard they are disappointingly boring. Definitely want something aggressive, but I'm about 140 gallons shy of being able to keep an Arowana.

100 pea puffers

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm considering adding a couple of bumblebee gobies to my 30 gallon that only has 6 cories and a betta. I've heard they are fin nippers. Has anyone here had any experience with them?

Edit

Also considering Badis as well, but I'm concerned about buying one that won't eat.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 19, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CrazyLittle posted:

I had some gobies in a brackish tank, and they didn't nip fins of the other fish... of course the competition was either a pleco 3x's as big as them, or a handful of fig8 puffers so YMMV. The best part was having overhanging rocks and watching the gobies park upside down.

Apparently there are two types of bumblebee goby: a 100% brackish type and one that tolerates freshwater. I wonder if one type is worse than others at nipping.

If no one else here chimes in with an opinion I will consider picking two up tomorrow and giving them a shot. Worse case scenario I either take them back or put the betta in a smaller tank.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

aerialsilks posted:

My bumblebee gobies never had any issues with other fish so much as wish each other. They're a little territorial. They also did pretty decently in freshwater, but they won't eat anything that isn't frozen or live foods.

I've never had a Badis that didn't starve or stress itself to death, unfortunately, so can't help you there.

Supposedly some people get the goby to eat flakes and what not. Worst case scenario I just throw in cherry shrimp and I get a cuter, more vicious tank.

You think there is a chance the goby would eat a badis? They're extremely tiny.

Edit
Perfect solution: now I can keep fancy guppies. My gobies can snack on whatever babies they have.
D-d-d-double edit!
gently caress. My betta probably isn't down with fancy guppies. I guess I will have to figure out a different livebearer.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
You guys have 15 minutes or so to talk me out of buying a rainbow goby, also known as a neon blue goby, to go with my bumblebees.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Well I've got highly aerated water with decent flow and tons of algae that he will be the sole scavenger for. I checked around a bunch of other forums and these gobies seem extremely easy to care for compared to the rest of their family.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slugworth posted:

Talking you into it so you can report on whether they eat hair algae or not. Knowledgeable guy at the LFS says they do, but nothing online supports this.

I have heard conflicting accounts in the 20 minutes I read about them online. Some say theirs will go for it, most say they prefer brown algae and biofilm. Maybe they are separate subspecies that haven't been officially identified yet?:shrug: either way, I have a shitload of hair algae so I will be happy to report on whether he goes for it.

I haven't even finished adding everyone and the bumblebees are already stalking snails around the tank.:3: everyone should get these little guys.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

r0ck0 posted:

Maybe you should fix that problem before adding a fish you think will "fix" it for you?

I don't know where you got the impression I was trying to "fix" the algae, but let me disabuse you of that right now. I bought the fish because I appreciated his looks and thought it would be a good fit for my tank. I do not care if he eats hair algae or not, I am merely happy to confirm whether or not he does, so that we can all learn a little bit more about some of the wonderful fish in our hobby. He is an omnivore and consumes a variety of non-hair algae, which my tank has in abundance, so he should be very happy.

The hair algae is not a "problem" either. I am concerned with the happiness of my fish, not the appearance of the tank. Unless the algae poses a threat to the fish I am unaware of, it is irrelevant to me. The hair algae is not thick enough to trap or snare any of my fish. It is not covering the entirety of my 30 gallon tank either, it is confined to the corner nearest to the sliding glass door where the sunlight often hits it. I never let it grow to the point that it will disturb the fish.

Maybe you're concerned the algae is a sign of poor water quality? My tank has been set up for about nine months now. As of my last water test, this morning, everything was perfect. My bioload is still very light and I often have to overfeed my betta because he is absolutely terrible about locating his food, so there is an abundance of nutrients for the plants and algae to fight over, but with weekly water changes it has never resulted in a chemical spike either.

your concern is appreciated

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Whale Cancer posted:

Is your tank brackish because bumblebee gobies are brackish.

My understanding is that there are a couple goby species sold under that name. According to several sources I found the xanthozonas (solid dark bands, opposed to the brackish species which have spots and breaks in the dark coloration) are comfortable in freshwater. :shrug: Both of them already ate today, frozen bloodworms. Supposedly feeding is the biggest hurdle in keeping them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

aerialsilks posted:

Oops, sorry, I missed this. Unless you're getting a very young molly fry-sized Badis, no. Bumblebee Gobies don't have big enough mouths for any of the Badis I've seen in stores. For what it's worth, too, even just putting some salt in the water will keep the goby content for a decent amount of time, but they will definitely do better in brackish regardless. Mine generally lived about 8-12 months or so, unfortunately.

Thanks for this. I've read several accounts claiming they've survived years in freshwater tanks happily, so I'll figure out exactly what I want to do with them soon. In the meantime, both of them have doubled in size since I bought them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Len posted:

Just went looking for the ghost shrimp I bought last week. What uh...what are water parameters for them? I found three of the eight dead and couldn't find one ): I feel like I'm the worst fish tank owner.

Yeah, I threw four into my tank a week or two ago, just to see how my betta would react to shrimp. One died before the night was up, but the other three have been happily running around the tank since then without any trouble.

Ghost shrimp are born to die in the pet industry, there is no shame in losing some of them when you try to keep them longterm. From whoever bred them all the way down to the petstore you picked them up at, they were probably given the absolute minimum care possible to generate the most profit. The best you can do is try and give the ones you saved a decent life. The ones who died were dead already.

Also be aware that there are several types of shrimp sold as ghost shrimp. Some are predatory motherfuckers. There might be a possibility you have one of those in there.

edit

Found a thread on another forum that discusses ghost shrimp vs "macro".
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423228-urgent-advice-needed-is-this-a-ghost-shrimp-or-killer-macro/

Looks like there is a possibility that the shrimp I bought are macros. They've got long arms.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 1, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Xun posted:

I want an eel :( are they hard to care for?

If you've got the money and actually give a poo poo then you can absolutely do a freshwater eel in a beginner setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SocketWrench posted:

Been watching my angels for the past week, one female platinum and one male black paired off and have been spending their days patrolling and pecking some leaves. Got up this morn and surprised, 50-some eggs on a leaf and the female's still laying. Kinda shocked to see it as the platinums and blacks used to stay with their own kind. It was like a mini race war

Awww. It's an aquatic Romeo and Julie :love:. It will even end tragically when her family eats her babies.