Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Does anyone have any good advice for moving a fish tank over long distances? I'm moving 300 miles away in 2 weeks and I plan on bringing my 30 gallon with me. Current stock is 1 betta, 6 cories, 3 ghost shrimp, 2 bumblebee gobies, and a fuckload of snails. The snails can fend for themselves, but I do want to find the least stressful way to transfer my fish and plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Enos Cabell posted:

Put the fish and shrimp in a 5gal bucket 3/4 full of tank water with a lid. Grab a power inverter that you can run off a cig lighter, and use that to power an air pump with air stone or sponge filter, and a small heater. Drain the tank down to an inch or less of water, that should be good enough for your plants and snails.

I had been considering stopping by the LFS and putting the fish and shrimp in oxygenated bags. My concern about using the 5 gal was the betta going nuts on everyone else, or one of the larger cories hurting somebody.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have a 29 gallon tank in the bathroom. Top that, bitches with your little Fluval edges.

For moving, are you driving the distance? How long should it take?

29 gallons?!?! That toilet could suck down an infant!

I'm moving 300 miles and it should take 5-6 hours. I'm taking the tank up Monday, next week, and doing the rest of my move a few days later. No way I'm trying to deal with my pets and a move on the same day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Drain the tank entirely. Throw the fish in bags (get oxygen if you can from a pet store, otherwise use breather bags for all fish save labryinth ones or corys, bettas, fish that need access to open air) and into a cooler. They will be fine as long as they have AC. For the filter stuff, keep THAT in another bag or two and keep it wet. Keep some Prime on hand for any cycling issues. Is the water the same pH and the like where you are moving to?

Yeah, the water should be the same. Thanks cowslips. I'd been concerned about my filter media in particular since I won't be on hand to watch my fish personally for a few days. Luckily I dramatically overfilter and I hardly have any fish in that 30 gallon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
drat, dude. Between this and your bike you are absolutely killing it on the builds. Got anything else in the works I should be following?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:dogbutton:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Hey, I'm moving again so I'm shutting down my 29 gallon tall tank. If any goons in the California Bay Area are interested in it, PM me. I'm giving it away to any interested parties.

Tank comes with:
Stand
Marineland 160 canister filter
Eheim canister filter
Ohko stone
Finnex LED light
Assorted chemicals and testers
Malaysian Trumper Snails

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

I'll pay for shipping to FL for that filter and light.

That might be possible if no one in the area picks up the whole set.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Shoot me a PM if Noone does. I'll gladly take both filters and the light.

Sure. The Eheim has a broken nozzle, but a replacement piece can be bought online and everything else functions fine.

How many snails do you want? :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Shoot me a PM if Noone does. I'll gladly take both filters and the light.

Looks like I've got someone who wants the whole tank. Sorry, Tony.

Edit
Dave, a beginning hobbyist, picked up the entire tank. I let everything go for $25 (enough to weed out assholes on craigslist, but cheap enough to be a screaming deal) and he even wants to keep the snails and plants alive. :3: Hopefully he and his son enjoy it and get into the hobby. It always sucks to shut down a tank, but this worked out better than I could have asked for.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 9, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

No worries man. Just glad it went to someone who will enjoy it. Guess I'll just have to drop the money on a canister filter. :keke: any idea if those 50 dollar sun suns are any good?

I never tried a Sun Sun, but people here seem to like them. I've always wanted a UV filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jiru posted:

And to everyone's surprise, around a week later, some guys turned up :kimchi:...

They are about a month old and have already survived the hardness crashing, me removing all rocks at least thrice (and not finding them, just a bunch of very dead siblings) and all the cycling. Way more than expected too, last count was twelve and they are rather hard to find when they hide. Tank parameters are currently stable, no nitrites nor nitrates, and I added some cuttlebone which they eat for calcium. No more deaths either. Rather scary as a first shrimp experience, but in the end it worked well I suppose :shobon:

Is that Ohko stone you've got there? Looks really nice. That's a sweet setup.