Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Real hurthling! posted:

I think snails are really cool. does anyone keep tanks full of out of control snail populations for fun? Is there an equally invasive aquarium plant species that the snails would like to hang out with?

I leave the snails in my tank alone. I have a pond snail that's 1" long who I like to watch. I'll try to get a photo of him some time. I also have nerite snails and an orange rabbit snail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I bought an aquaclear 70 today which has a 300 GPH output. In addition to my Ecco 2234, I now have a total of 435 GPH, which is 11x filter turnover an hour. I really needed that HOB filter in addition to my canister because the detritus was so bad it looked like snow.

Goldfish are such a mess. Why do I have to like goldfish so much? :negative:

I got a cool LED bubble strip because why not?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Malalol posted:

those otos going to town in that gifs killing me oh my god hahaha i love them.
Ive got an ac110 on a 20g for goldfish and what the hell poop man. I dont even FEED THEM regularly >: ( i do want fancy goldfish eventually though. one or two. ...or three. or a lot of chubbykins.

Those aren't otos; they're Siamese algae eaters. That goldfish is bigger than you think. :)

As for fish to keep with goldfish, most advice states that you can't keep anything other than goldfish together. I have a bristlenose pleco, flag fish, dojo loaches, and Siamese algae eaters together. The flag fish are kind of dicks, butthey very rarely nip at the goldfishes' fins, and even then the damage is minimal. All of these fish do okay at lower temperatures but I heat the tank in winter.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 25, 2013

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I got my red cherry shrimp in the mail from that John fish guy from Florida that I bought over eBay. It took him 2.5 weeks to ship them to me, but they arrived in good condition without any DOAs. There's 2 berried females in the bag, and a third female's eggs must've hatched in transit because my bag is full of itty bitty baby shrimps.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

AcetylCoA! posted:

Just how big is that fish?

Slightly at an angle in this picture, so closer to 9".

edit: here's a vine of my goldfish tank: https://vine.co/v/hzI31Dqnwgz

I found this fish living in the lake near my house. When I found him, he was about half this size. I don't know what variety he is. He's got really long fins so I'm leaning toward veiltail.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 27, 2013

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Malalol posted:

A mild rant while im on break.

Customer explains she has a 29g heated tank, asks for definition of koi/goldies vs freshwater and tropical.
I explain the coldwater difference and show her the easy livebearers to start with, since she already has a heater in and you cant put too many goldfish in that tank if she went that route. She says ok and starts picking out some platies. Asks how big goldfish get. I tell her. Then she walks over to one and says i want that one. WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU. WHY DO I EVEN EXPLAIN?

Ok back to work!

You should print out that picture of my goldfish next to the ruler and post it in your fish department. That fish is only 3 years old too.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Malalol posted:

Had him for 3 years? 4-5 inches is already pretty big... but I do tell people those 2.50 2 inch goldies will get that big in a few years.

i did mention your goldfish to that lady :smug:

I found him in a lake in 2010. This fish is actually 9-10", but in that photo he was about 3" away from the glass and was at an angle. He's bigger than my (smallish) hand with fingers outstretched. The other goldfish is slightly smaller, bought in late 2009 and got to 5" in a year and a half. Goldfish live 15+ years if cared for properly.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

That rock in the center seems out of place. I think it would look better off to the left near the tall plants.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I went to a garage sale today. For $25 I came home with this:

+ about 80lbs of rock. It's a 55 gallon aquarium with a canopy, and a magnum 350 canister filter. All it's missing is the stand, glass top, and aquarium light. It'll probably be a few weeks until I can pick all that up.

I'm tempted to make a 3D background for it, since it'll be sitting around empty for a few weeks anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es76DnaQDwI

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 30, 2013

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Goldmund posted:

You probably already know this, but you should take that tank outside (or in a garage or something) and fill it up and let it sit for at least a few days. Garage sale tanks are pretty notorious for leaks. A friend of mine learned this the very hard way.

If it didn't come with the canopy and the filter, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm definitely going to test it for leaks, but I'm pretty hopeful because it looks to be in excellent condition. The person was moving so that's why it was so cheap. Also I think they did saltwater wrong, because it came with a bunch of plastic plants and rocks, but no protein skimmer or any evidence of live rock.

In the meanwhile, I went to the LFS and came home with this:

It's an African algae eating goby. Anyone have any experience with these guys? There's not much out there on the web.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

So long has he's got something to lounge on, I know my betta loves to lay on his driftwood log catching shade under the anubias that grown on it. The thing with the plastic plants is that sometimes those little edges are just enough to snag their fins or scratch their bodies, but that kinda depends on the fish and all. You could maybe just tie a clump of anubias or java fern to a rock and give him a lounge spot. Don't need fancy substrates or lights for either of those, and they're generally cheap to come by.

Bought a couple tiny, skinny narwhals today:

Best or coolest algae eaters? Yes.

I've never heard them called narwhals. Is that a farowella?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

I was being stupid about it. As I took the picture I noticed the snouts and a dumb joke was born. But yeah, two farowellas. Couldn't tell you for sure which species, but still pretty happy with them. They'll be going into my 75 which was sorely lacking in algae eaters, and I've always liked them more than plecos. Also significantly cheaper than any cool plecos 'round these parts.

Let me know how they work out. I've had bristlenose plecos, otocinclus, Chinese algae eaters, Siamese algae eaters, Florida flag fish, a borneo sucker, and an algae eating goby. Gotta catch 'em all?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Sure thing. I've gone through just about all of those too, aside from the Siamese or the goby. I'm thinking worst case scenario I can get a few otos to keep the leaves of my plants clean. Flag fish are crazy if they find something they like, but that isn't always algae. The pair in my 55 cleaned off all the salvinia minima I had growing on the top of it on more than one occasion:psyboom:

I do really like nerite snails for algae most of the time, but I want loaches in this tank and they'd just be expensive snacks, so something with fins seem my only option.

My tiger nerite snail has been trucking right along in my tank with the 2 huge goldfish and 3 dojo loaches. If you get big ones, I would think that only clown loaches would able to attack them.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

tboeske01 posted:

I am currently setting up a tank for clown loaches. I am slowly building up the tank. Starting with 5 for now to see how they do. Here are some pictures of the tank as is sits now. I am not done with it by any means. One question I do have is in your opinion what fish make great tank mates for clown loaches? I am going to start with the loaches and a plecostomus. I am going to be adding some rocks and things a little later today. I will update the post with pictures as I add things. Sorry for the crappy picture, currently using my cell phone.

Clown loaches get 12" long, so even a 55g might be too small for a school. You want large tank mates, like roseline sharks, Bala sharks, tinfoil barbs, silver dollars. Basically nothing under like, 8" max size I'd say.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

tboeske01 posted:

I am going to be moving them up to a 125g tank when they get bigger. I have no plans to keep them in a tank too small for them.

I'm glad to hear you have an adequate tank. :)

Loaches are scale-less, so they have less protection against injury than other fish. Try to stay away from anything too aggressive; you want large peaceful fish. Parkisoni rainbowfish looks really cool and get 8" or so. Roseline sharks get about 8" too but they are pretty spendy.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Tetras are schooling fish. You'll want a black phantom school rather than leave him alone with a school of neons.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Tetras will sometimes school with other similar looking species, but black phantoms have deep bodies whereas neons are slender. They'd never hang out.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

My giant orange fantail died last night. He was fine 2 days ago then bam; dead. I don't know what happened but I suspect fecal impaction, possibly due to swallowed gravel. I guess this is why fancy goldfish keepers have bare bottom tanks. :(

I want gravel because I have plants. What kind of substrate can I use? Sand is out; I need something larger than Petco gravel.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I put some frogbit from my goldfish tank into one of my fishbowls. It must've had eggs from my big orange goldfish's last mating because now there's 3 tiny goldfish fry in my fishbowl. I'm still raising 2 babies that are 2 months old at this point in another tank. One has a single tail but by the time he was big enough to catch, I didn't have the heart to cull him. He's got a big fat belly and is pretty cute. I've read that single tailed egg-shaped body goldfish are known as nymphs, but that's unofficially because usually the single tailed ones get culled. The newborns are too small to tell, but it looks like only one may have a double tail. I might end up culling the other two if necessary since I won't have enough room for 6 adult goldies.

Meanwhile, my male flagfish is guarding eggs on a patch of willow moss. He's a huge dick and has shredding the fins of a couple fish in the tank. I took a few strands of moss with eggs on it and stuck it in another fish bowl I have full of plants just to see if I can get flagfish fry. The ones the male are guarding will certainly get eaten or sucked into the filter the moment they hatch. I hope the eggs hatch soon so that half of the tank stops being off-limits to everything else that lives there. I am also hoping that I don't need to separate the pair due to non-stop fishy sex.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I think a red tailed shark would be a touch too big for a 40 gallon. I've seen full grown redtails and I don't think one of those would be happy in anything less than a 55.

I really like rainbows. Goyder River Rainbowfish look great. I also like the threadfin rainbows, and neon dwarf rainbows. Stick with rainbowfish that are 5" long or less.

Giant danios might be another good option.

A bristlenose pleco would be a great algae eater for the 40. The otos are pretty cool but I think you'd need an army to keep that tank clean.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Do any of you have any experience with making sand falls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbqXyz4N7c

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Yeah, you can either use an airstone or a powerhead. I have both, but I'm leaning more toward doing it with an airstone. I've seen these around for a few years, but they do seem like a pretty new thing. Here's a few more tutorials and such on how to make them:

* Creating a waterfall illusion underwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NxXxdRFog

Here you can see a sand waterfall/fountain in action in this Avatar themed planted aquarium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE0fqwR4doA

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I haven't been keeping up on this thread very well. I went back 15+ pages and read up till now and noticed I missed a few people asking about the state of my tanks.

A few days ago I re-aquascaped both my 15 gallon high, and my 37 gallon aquarium. Check out all this anubias I have. I've been growing this piece for over 7 years now. It actually flowered for me this year despite abysmally poor lighting.

---------------
37 gallon before/after

---------------
15H gallon before/after

---------------

I neglected my bowls for a while and I let the big bowl get pretty low. I still have 10 red cherry shrimp left, mostly females. All of them have saddles but no eggs yet so far. I think I have at least 1-2 males left in there.

Some of the slower, and therefore more photograph-able, inhabitants of the 15 gallon: dwarf cory, sumo loach, amano shrimp

Here's a golden dojo loach from the 37 gallon being lazy

I bought a marineland hidden blue/white LED strip for my 15H tank. Being an older Eclipse tank, it only has a single NO T5 strip in the hood and it looked to be too much hassle retrofit. My plants were limping along just barely up until now. I've only had it in for a few days so I've yet to see any benefit to the plants, but at least I can see my fish now!

I can't get minus to upload this image, so here's a link to an animated gif showing off the difference the Marineland Hidden LED made. It's like 3x brighter than what I had: Single NO T5 fluorescent vs Marineland Hidden LED

Google+ started making these weird animated gifs out of my auto backup photos for some reason.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 8, 2014

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Look at all these beautiful cuttings I had to throw away because none of my friends have aquariums. Go to the T&T Korea thread and yell at them.

I trade my cuttings in at the local fish shop for more plants. Got 2 crypts out of 3 handfuls of frogbit and I'll have another 3 handfuls in a month or two.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I finally have the money to upgrade my 37 gallon's lighting. The tank is currently housing goldfish, but once I get a stand and light for my empty 55 gallon, I will be converting it into a planted tank and moving the goldfish into the 55.

For the 37 gallon I'm torn between the Finnex Ray 2, and the Finnex Fugeray +. I really like plants, but I've never had a high maintenance setup before. I really would like to dabble in really heavily planted tanks complete with carpeting, so I'm leaning toward the Ray 2. I might build a DIY CO2 setup for it, and I use Flourish weekly for ferts. I have a timer set for 2 hours in the morning and 6 hours at night with a siesta period of 4 hours in-between. That's 8 hours per day total.

I'll eventually get a Finnex light for the 55 gallon as well. Goldfish tend to destroy plants, so my thought was get a Fugeray+ for low light goldfish resistant plants for the 55 gallon, and get a Ray 2 for the 37 gallon planted tropical.

Thoughts?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

The only ones I know of that I might rcommend for led fixtures is the fugeray series. Possibly the build my led stuff as well (not used them personally though, and only interested since they can link into my apex controller). However, BML only lists 6300 and 7k lightning options. They might be able to custom one for you though. The real fun is getting a calculator to convert your old understanding of watts per gallon to PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation).

Are you enamored to a bar light though? Stepping out of those, there is kessel and some other brands that do either targetted or tablet style lights. You either hang these are use a mount that attaches to the tank.

I got a ray 2 since I have a deeper tank. It has a stronger PAR for more plant growth, but it did end up washing out everything in my tank since it only has blue/white LEDs. I'm definitely going to have to get a monster ray or some other color enhancing bulb to go along with it.

The Fugeray planted + did look a lot nicer visually, but you lose a pretty good chunk of PAR, so it's a tradeoff.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I'm really digging my new Finnex Ray 2 light. I had an old dual NO T8 fluorescent strip on my 38 gallon. I got tired of buying new bulbs, so I hadn't changed them out in over 2 years. I'm really happy that I don't need to buy new bulbs every 6 months.

Ray 2 vs Fugeray Planted +: I saw both of them in person so I could see the difference in action. The Ray 2 washes all of the color out of everything in my tank. When I look at the tank, it looks overwhelmingly green; even my bright orange goldfish! I definitely am going to need a color enhancing bulb before I can fully enjoy my fish again. Plant growth is A+ though. The Fugeray made the plants and fish look better, but didn't have nearly as strong light at 24" deep compared to the Ray 2. I had a deeper tank, so I decided to go with the Ray 2. The 36" gets me about 50 PAR at 24", whereas the Planted + only gets 31 PAR at the same depth.

Speaking of that goldfish, will you look at this thing? It has such a tiny head.

I raised this one and another one that were accidental bucket babies. I trimmed some plants from the parents' tank and threw them in a bucket. I found some fry not long after and raised them in my Walstad planted bowl. The other goldfish has a derpy lopsided face. They both should've been culls, but I only had 2 of them and didn't have the heart so I decided to keep them.

The huge adults I had both died after what I suspect was caused by swallowed gravel. The big orange one died almost immediately overnight, and my huge black moor sank to the bottom and couldn't swim for several months before she finally died. I thought about euthanizing her, but she seemed otherwise happy sitting on the bottom until she succumbed.

My nasty pet store aquarium gravel does no good for the plants, and it's starting to chip anyway so I'm ready to replace it. Amazon had 20# bags of eco-complete for $17 USD, so I bought 2 bags. It arrived 2 days ahead of schedule, but I'm too busy to put it in right now.
:negative:

I hope if the goldfish accidentally swallow some of the eco-complete when they get bigger they'll be able to pass it. I really don't want to do bare tank, but I'd be willing to get sand if I have to. I wanted aquasoil but there's no way I could afford it.

In closing, here's a picture of my tiniest Borneo loach to brighten your day:

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 20, 2014

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

argh one of my stupid goldfish is floating upside down. Been that way for days. The mother of this fish had this same problem, but at least she would eat peas. I can't get this one to, and I'm starting to worry because he's got a bloody spot on his belly that appeared yesterday. I put him in a little rubbermaid container as a hospital tank with a little aquarium salt thrown in.

Aside from peas what are my other options? Force feeding mineral oil is a suggestion I found on a forum elsewhere, but I haven't tried it yet.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I got a new friend.

A very lovely veiltailed male red/white Ryukin. He's already got his breeding tubercles. I think my other fish is a female and I love her extra huge hump. I think they would make nice babies together.

edit: nope other fish is a male too. drat.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 10, 2014

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

How many assassin snails do I need patrolling a 15 gallon to keep it clear of snails. I only got 1 so far and I've had it a month or two. Can't tell if it's making any sort of dent on the population. I could also just be impatient.

Here's another picture of my weird rocket ship goldfish. Vroom vroom.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Fejsze posted:

That video makes me want to keep buying bigger and bigger tanks to aquascape. Guess I'll be hitting up garage sales this weekend to find some.

I got a 55 gallon with a oak canopy and a $350 canister filter, a bunch of rock and driftwood for $20. I just need a stand and a light for it. It's been holding water in my spare room for the past 6 months without a single drip. Garage sale deals can be awesome.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Man, my 15 year old dojo loach finally died this morning. He got some kind of horrible cancery growth on his tail that's been steadily getting worse over the last few months. He sure was a trooper right up until the end though. Sure gonna miss that little wiggleworm.

I only got 2 dojos left. I'm gonna try to find another weird brownish spotted one like my old man. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

re: gouramis

How about chocolate gouramis? They're small, cute, and peaceful.

edit: oops apparently they're super delicate