Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I lost a bunch of fish yesterday. Motors in both filter units died overnight, water stopped flowing Tank went bad quickly and I was out working. Come back to my mother in a full panic.

Luckily she had transferred over as many as she could catch to the other aquarium so most of the loaches survived. I am hoping they recover fully.

Losses were the Bala Shark, two clown loaches and two mollies

Never had two filters go out at once before, don't know how it happened. And of course it happened in the tank that DOESN'T have a lot of plants in it because of my rear end in a top hat pleco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe a power surge? Might be worth getting a surge protector.

They were on a protector to begin with but maybe the protector has gone bad.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

A sump is one bridge I haven't crossed yet. My reef is only 20g and when I bought my 75g tank I was returning to the saltwater hobby after a pretty long absence so I set it up with roughly late 1990s knowledge. It would be cool to have all equipment out of sight but for some reason the idea of having a smaller container under a much bigger container really freaks me out. I'm sure there's a million things you can do to keep your display from draining into your sump/living room, but I just haven't made the leap yet.

Me and my wife had an opportunity and purchased a 90 gallon saltwater tank off a lady whose father could no longer manage it due to age... it has everything but fish and I am personally a little terrified by the sump system myself, but she has it set up filled and cycling currently and no leaks so I guess it will be fine? whole month at a minimum for it to cycle and let the rocks settle? She's the one who wanted a saltwater tank, I only have experience with freshwater and I set up new ones of those by transferring some of the water/substrate/plants from the previous tank or another of my established tanks.

It looks nice at least, at the moment, she wants to do corals though.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Got a Free 125 gallon... needs parts though, but free tank.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I will also second BugBites: it's pellets that my axolotls went straight onto without fuss after being fed live food forever. gently caress, my cat will chase me around when she sees the bag for them.

one of my mothers kittens will open the cabinet doors on the aquarium to snag fish flakes to eat.

I just hear the doors thudding and gotta go swat the cat away from the fishes food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Got a good picture of our crawfish or whatever he is since my wife bought him. Mini lobster? Anyway, he's a pretty boy, and very happy after we moved the fish that were bothering him to a different tank