Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I have a tank that's currently packed full of a rather prolific strain of Corkscrew Val. I need to clear some of it out rather urgently. Rather than simply bin it, I'm willing to post it to any UK goons who want it for however much postage and packaging would be. Or if you have some Frogbit to swap, we can do it that way. Send me a PM if interested.

A word of warning: The tank in question is disease-free, but the Vals may come with free MTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I've gotten rather friendly with one of the people at my LFS, and the topic of cherry shrimp came up. He's quite keen to take some of my booming shrimp population off my hands in return for store credit. The only problem I have with this is that I have absolutely no idea what I should be asking for them. If anyone else has a similar arrangement, how much do you normally receive per shrimp?

Also, the cherry shrimp have gotten me rather hooked on shrimp in general, so I want to branch out a bit. Can anyone reccommend some other interesting shrimp species which aren't too difficult to breed?

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 24, 2013

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Malalol posted:

man that is such a pet peeve of mine when people say that. Not you, but Im reminded of work where Im practically begging people to not pick out that Id and they insist. This guy gets 3 id sharks, 2 african knives, some gouramis, pictus, tetras.. for a 20g I believe, im going THIS FISH GETS LIKE OVER 3-4 FEET. "Oh its okay ill move it to a bigger tank when its big. I got a 50 gal" NO FK THAT WHAT DIDDNT YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THREE FEET.

One of the people working at my local large chain pet retailers feels the same way. He's added little notes onto some of the pre-printed tank labels. For example, Gibbiceps Plec (grows to 24 inches). Still, this is pretty much luck of the draw. Some of the people working there will happily sell pretty much any quantity of anything to the unwashed masses, but seeing somebody threaten to report a member of staff to management for refusing to sell to them only to have the manager politely tell them to leave the store was priceless.

As an aside, I suppose I'm officially a tropical fish breeder. I took a bunch of randomly netted cherry shrimp over to my LFS a few days ago and came back with half a dozen Otos in exchange. I suppose I could have asked for more, but there wasn't really anything else I needed right this minute. Hopefully, this batch will sell, and I'll be able to up my asking price once I actually want something from them. The things breed like nymphomaniac rabbits, so they're essentially free trade tokens.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

JuffoWup posted:

Shame that the ebi isn't available in europe. That is one of the better fluval kits right now. Sponge filter making it safe for shrimp and the substrate (you would need to get a second bag) is good enough to grow plants. Plus, it is 7.9 gal. I've been eyeing the little fluval spec 5gal tank. However, like my current tank, I wouldn't recommend shrimp in it. Overflow style tanks are very much not shrimp friendly.

I bought my Ebi on Ebay (I'm in the UK). There seem to be a few of them on there at the moment. Mine is currently housing a Betta and a small colony of cherry shrimp for him to terrorise. I'll second the fact that Fluval is a bit stingy with the amount of substrate they supply, but apart from that it is a nice little tank. The first thing you should do too is get rid of the filter.

We're experiencing a bit of a heatwave over here, and I just got back from work to find the thermometer on one of my tanks off the scale, and all my Rosy barbs floating at the top :(. The tank is on a windowsill in direct sunlight, and I recently put a black pvc backing film on it to cut down on algae growth. This seems to have been very good at absorbing heat, and has boiled the poor creatures.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Cassiope posted:

My biggest concern is the CO2 system. I’ve never used CO2 and frankly it seems overwhelming. We definitely want to grow plants, and we have some serious lighting so I feel like we need the CO2. I’m considering this set up:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9933&pcatid=9933.
Is that ridiculous? It would eat up a large chunk of my budget, but considering my lack of experience and the fact that volunteers will be doing a large part of the tank maintenance I feel like the more fool-proof the better. What would good alternatives be?

If you're not planning to go into CO2 in a big way, and budget is an issue, have you considered going DIY? Just get some cola bottles, some airline and a fine airstone, and you can build your own. Just add a load of sugar and some yeast, and you get alcohol (for the love of god don't try drinking it) and a whole load of CO2. The basic plans are readily available on the internet. Just add bottles until you get the required output. The other advantage would be that it really increases the science experiment feel of the tank.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Kraxxukalf posted:

Question for you shrimp owners! I bought four amano shrimp a few days ago, and all of them went into hiding straight away of course. My tank has plenty of plants and other hiding spots (driftwood, etc). I realize that they need to adjust, but after two days I found them all hiding inside my water pump, all hugging the filter sponge. Is this anything I should be worried about, or will they come out after a while? I carefully released them back in the tank, but I guess they'll head straight back in there.

They've simply figured out where the best eats in your tank are. The filter sponge is an all you can eat gourmet for shrimp, as it gathers all their favourite foods into a small convenient space. My filter sponge currently has about a dozen shrimp happily grazing away on it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'd vote Gourami. They're quite sedate fish, and very relaxing to watch.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm going to be setting up a 10 gallon tropical aquarium, and I'm shopping around for a cannister filter. I have an eheim 2213 going spare, but I'm thinking it would probably be a serious case of overkill for something this small. I can pick up a Fluval 106 locally, but was wondering if there are any other (possibly cheaper) options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I was more concerned with the current it would generate being excessive. I could probably come up with a workaround for that, though.