Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

SynthOrange posted:

Dragon Goby - These long fish need brackish water and are filter feeders (as in they need tiny microscopic live food). They will eat any fish that is small enough to fit in their mouths too.

I just want to hop in here to correct this as it isn't entirely correct. Dragon Gobies do need brackish water, and a fine granule substrate such as mud or sand. You will know the Violet Goby, it's true name should you find one labeled as this in a pet store, is happy with the aggregate because they will start kicking up the sand and terraforming the tank. You cannot expect to keep a properly manicured tank with one of these monsters. For reference, the one time I put some new plastic plants in the tank for the guppy fry to hide in. I came back an hour later and I guess he didn't like the plants because we couldn't find them. He had moved all of the sand from the bottom of tank and piled it on top of the plants. I am not exaggerating either. It was all of the sand.

They also grow to be quite large. I got mine when he was only 3 inches long, and after a year he is a little over a foot long. They can grow between a foot long and 2 feet long depending on how well they do.

They aren't filter feeders as much as sifting feeders. They will gulp up mouthfuls of sand and sift out the particulates of food. This isn't their only feeding method though. They absolutely love blood worms and will be perfectly fine with eating smaller food that winds up on the bottom. They also have a bunch of teeth which they use to scrape algae off of rocks. They will not eat any fish that will fit in their mouth, as their mouths are much larger than their throats, which is what restricts the size of what they eat. They can't eat anything that won't go down their throats. They also tend to avoid trying to eat fish anyway because they are too fast. The Dragon Goby is practically blind, and quite slow so their ability to catch and eat fish is very limited. Bumblebee gobies and guppies make great tank mates for them, and they can both easily fit down the gullet of a Dragon Goby. That being said, he will devour fry by the mouth full.

This blindness is also something to keep in mind when you pick tank mates. You need to make sure that the tank mates aren't too aggressive as the Dragon Goby will have trouble getting food before the others eat it all.

I personally love my Dragon Goby and I find him to be a very rewarding fish with an amazing personality. That being said, it isn't a beginner fish due to the fact that they get very large, and require a brackish tank in order to survive. They are very docile fish though, and are not aggressive predators as some fish stores claim they are.

And with that, I segue into some pics of Squidworth, my Dragon Goby, that I took last night after I transplanted him into his new tank.

He is quite large

Should anyone be interested I can write up a guide to Dragon Gobies and their tank mates.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I personally vote for here as brackish isn't too much different than a freshwater tank where as a marine tank requires much more work from what I understand. Also most of the fish in a brackish tank are on the freshwater side than the marine side. (Guppies, Mollies, shrimp.) The only true marine fish that I have in my tank are some small hermit crabs that I acclimated to the tank conditions.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Awesome. I will write up a more detailed post later on today outlining Dragon Goby and brackish tank care.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have one of those bubble clams and I am having a bitch of a time with it currently. It is held together at the hinge with a single metal pin that comes in from one side only. Anyway, my dragon goby keeps playing with it and the pin ends up sliding entirely out so the top of the shell comes off. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to secure the pin that wouldn't harm the fish at all?

Edit: As for plants, I have had good luck with swords and java ferns in both gravel and sand substrate. I make sure that the tank is in an area that gets ample light, and I add API Leaf Zone as fertilizer ever so often to feed them.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 17, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So has anyone ever had any success in finding Bumblebee Gobies for sale? I am having a bitch of a time finding the little guys. Same with java moss.

And sorry for the delay on my brackish/Dragon Goby write up. I have been pretty busy in real life. I do want to say that my Dragon Goby has now taken to sheltering one of my pregnant mollies. This is in addition to "herding" the hermit crabs in the tank by picking them up by their shells in his mouth, and moving them to the other end of the tank before either gently placing them down, or tossing them onto the bubbles.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my bamboo shrimp seems to be loving the log in the center of the tank, especially when Squidworth starts digging. The females keep hiding in various locations, but he is just out in the open and enjoying the fast flow.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I need your guys help. I have a 39 gallon tank with sand substrate, brackish water, and a fish that loves to kick up sand. I have gone through one impeller based filter since I bought the tank, and the second filter is dying quickly.

As of right now the impeller rattles really bad, and I have to wash the inside of the filter once a week due to sediment build up.

Anyway, as I have a job now, I am in the market for a new filter, but I don't know what to get. I need some sort of filter where the suction happens post filtering, due to the amount of sediment that gets kicked up. I was looking at maybe getting a canister filter, but I don't know how they work, so I am not 100% sure if that would suit my purposes.

I tried using a prefilter sponge, but that just resulted in such a reduced water flow that it wasn't worth it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Already did that. The sediment sure abraded that off real fast. It unfortunately didn't help the noise too much, and the next day all of the Vaseline was gone.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, so after a month, my drat impeller shaft snapped for my ehiem classic filter. So I spend about an hour trying to figure out where their technical support section is and finally find that it is just an emailer program, so I fill it out, and submit it. Unfortunately I also saw that they have a habit of not responding to the emails so I finally found their number after more searching. What do you know, I spend about half an hour on hold as "first in line" before being sent to an answering machine that is full. Their website is also full of dead links and their parts store doesn't even work properly.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement impeller for as cheap as possible since it appears that my 24 month warantee on the filter is completely useless? Either that or how to reliably contact them? Are they even still in business?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my fiance have decided to start planning a 10 gallon themed tank based around a spooky/halloween theme. We are going with a black substrate, a bunch of creepy looking tree decorations and a few creepy caves.

So far fish wise we are looking at some blind cave tetras, a Viper shrimp, a few Moscow black velvet guppies, an upside down catfish or two, and some ghost glass catfish. We will of course be adjusting what fish we get as we get closer to actually making the tank. I was just wondering if you guys knew of any other 10 gallon friendly fish that look creepy or would fit the theme of a spooky tank?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Like I said, we are going to be narrowing it down when we put the tank together and we won't be putting all of those fish in. We were just writing down fish that look like they would fit the theme at this time.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Marine salt is good for making saltwater and brackish water. It is also good for live bearers and inverts. Aquarium salt is pretty much useless and is often grabbed for making brackish water instead of marine, which causes the water to not actually be brackish. Table salt may contain additives that could be toxic to fish.

Certain fish like a bit of salt, and some, such as Corys, will die from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my blue lobster unfortunately passed away. It crawled out of my tank and managed to bed down on the complete other side of the apartment before dying. Poor guy.