Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I know it's a stupidly small thing to be upset about, but I bought a new test kit and have been tracking my reef tank's parameters daily for a week, and over the past two days the numbers on the titration syringes have come almost completely off.

Don't buy Red Sea test kits.
Honestly, that just happens with every syringe brand I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SixPabst posted:

e: the bodies started to hit the floor when I got the wrasse. I am not sure if he's the culprit because one of the hermits is fairly large, but he aggressively eats and picks at the dead ones.
My (melanarus) wrasse decimated every invert in my tank. Even ones that I would have assumed were too large. This is not a bad theory.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Corte posted:

Frustrating to hear that my water test kit is still lacking in a number of ways but good to know, thanks! Do you mean to say that my test could be detecting ammonium and not ammonia? Considering both are toxic wouldn't the goal still be to have 0 of both or is it that you need to do something different to address one or the other? Should I test my tap water for everything or just ammonia?
Definitely do an ammonia test on your tap water as a control. I've never in my life seen an API ammonia test actually show zero, whether it's testing my tap water or a tank that's been established and healthy for years. If you Google it, you'll see it's a fairly common issue.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Stoca Zola posted:

You pretty have to look up fish profiles individually and write their requirements down and compare yourself, I haven't found an alternative yet. I think seriouslyfish is reasonably good, aquaticarts too. A good profile lists fish that are found together in nature, as well as listing diets so that is a quick way to find compatible fish, depending on whether the profile is up to date or not. You need your species scientific name to make this easier, I tried searching for dwarf goby but that didn't narrow it down much. There are stiphodon gobies and Philippine gobies that both go by dwarf goby. If you can't get stuff from the same river system, researching rivers with similar flow rates and water parameters can help find compatible fish from other locations. It's a bit tedious but it's better than nothing.
Why do people keep talking about aqadvisor as though it's defunct? I just looked, and it seems to be up and running.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I think it's a fair enough consideration. I think it's up to everyone to decide individually what level of "law of nature" they're comfortable with in their tanks.

Giving people a heads up of "this might eat that, so be sure you're cool with that from an ethical/practical/financial" point" seems reasonable. I am curious though, VelociBacon, where you might fall on something like feeding fish live daphnia?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I honestly never did more than a 30 percent change every 2 weeks on any of my tanks, and never had any issues. I suppose my tanks were stocked a bit on the lighter side though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

I use TDS in a cool and good way - I use a SaltyShrimp remineralizer, so the first time I used it I added it to my tap water (which has a TDS of 0) at the proper amount per volume that is recommended and then found the TDS to be 150ppm. So that's just my shorthand now that when I do water changes I know I add that stuff to the new water until the TDS is 150. I know about what you're saying with the various things that can contribute to TDS but for me it's perfect in this usage.
Your tap water tds is 0??

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Thanks. I actually feel pretty :unsmith: 6 years is a nice run for a tetra. I named her Deep Blue because she was the biggest black skirt I’ve seen, she was like the size of a half dollar. The only bigger ones I’ve seen are at the Pittsburgh Zoo which is amazing. The aquarium there is huge and has a lot of fish that popular in the aquarium trade except huge and in biotope aquariums.
The Shedd Aquarium has (or at least use to) a huuuge school of neon tetras. It was really cool to see.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

ChickenMedium posted:

It's pretty much just 10s, 20s and 29s. Just the standard Aqueons. 40s and 55s are usually half price, though.
Oh, bummer, they used to include 40s and 55s.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Phi230 posted:

About transporting my fish tank: do I have to transport it flat or can I just use the back seat of my car because that's really all I have available.
I've always just used the back seat of my car, with a few towels down to make a little more flat surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean if anything I've learned over the course of my fish keeping career and hobby and whatever you want to call it, it's that newbies make stupid mistakes, experienced keepers make expensive mistakes.

Like the time I didn't want to set up a second quarantine tank and so quarantine two different sources of fishes in the same tank, and ended up wiping out over $300 worth of rare plecos and African catfish.
I remember this, and it was a confirmation for me that I would never, ever buy an expensive fish. Of course, 'expensive fish' is a relative term that seems to increase the longer you're in the hobby. I remember starting out thinking 20 bucks was outrageous for a fish.