Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's two fold the temps in my office get really warm during summer months so ambient at 80 reflects in the aquarium. With the higher temp the water is less oxygenated which in turn creates a double whammy situation for me. I ended up doing another partial water change which gradually lowered the water temp from 81F to 77F I also have pump with dual airstones running now that is really oxygenating the water in an effort to tackle that issue as well. The last resort is once it gets warm enough I am having to adjust the thermostat for the house down to 74 to get this room down to 78 which really really sucks for my electric bill as you can imagine. I have a ceiling fan which keeps it okay for me but that does not cut it for the aquarium.. I might look at alternatives though because that is not going to work over the summer for me.

Also it's not a foul water issue, it is a heavily planted tank all fish.. the big ones are accounted for leaving a few Cardinal Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio and four cories which I can see are still there as well. I did the partial water change a couple of days ago so it would have eliminated that and not to mention I have upwards of 500 red cherry shrimp in there so overfeeding is literally impossible between them and the metric poo poo ton of snails that are all over the place - I'm looking at your Clown Loach you aren't doing your job!

I'm really hoping the extra boost from the air pump blasting the two airstones remedies the situation and I am keeping an eye throughout the day to see where the temps peak and the situation in the tank.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

At my other LFS. :eyepop: Two foot long ray just chilling.

I showed this pic to my wife and told her it is some dude's outdoor salt water hot tub.. she won't let me get one.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That didn't work either, just tried it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to prune a forest of moss from my 55, it's that time again.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Some funky moss I got from the springs, it's many generations on by now I have had it so long.. I have to prune it every few months then I sell it on fleabay or Aquabid for people who collect moss or a couple of dudes use it for shipping shrimp.

It's the giant blob on the left..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 8, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I normally sell them off in packed golf ball size, ends up much larger though. For our dudes.. if you just want one or two I won't charge you except for shipping and if you want to throw anything additional that is fine. Fair warning though I have hitchhiking snails and cherry shrimp. Also in the right conditions this poo poo grows like a weed..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm good to send out a few to goons.. shoot me an email at owwithurts@ that common email address that starts with g and we can go over the rest.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I desire moss. Email sent!

gotcha covered.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I desire moss. Email sent!

Your moss is en-route!

Anyone interested in the type, I got as best a pic as I could of some individual pieces.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Cool! I thoroughly washed it but it wouldn't hurt if you did a second pass and inspection to remove anything that did not enjoy the trip.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Small aquariums are hard to fix when they go to poo poo. I had three bettas at one point and my routine was a weekly 50% water change with filtered water, had a small in tank filter and they were golden for years. One lived to be five which is really good for a betta.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm going to be setting up a 10 gallon tropical aquarium, and I'm shopping around for a cannister filter. I have an eheim 2213 going spare, but I'm thinking it would probably be a serious case of overkill for something this small. I can pick up a Fluval 106 locally, but was wondering if there are any other (possibly cheaper) options.

I use two 275Gph canister filters on my 55. There is no such thing as overkill with filtration or water movement.

http://www.amazon.com/TechnToy-HW-6...canister+filter

Smaller but two of these in a ten would be nifty.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He looks good to me..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Clown Loach.. I have one in a 55g tank that is four years old now and he's not that big maybe 4-5 inches. He is the definite choice for snail control though, the bottom of the tank is a wasteland of snail shells. He also goes after my red cherry shrimp when the population gets low and there are not enough full grown snails to munch on.

sharkbomb posted:

Anyone have experience with using loaches for snail control? My new 75g tank has 8 happy corydoras catfish and approximately 50,000 snails. I was thinking of getting 6 loaches when they become available from one of the local stores.

Don't do six, that is overkill and a school of loaches that big will devour everything in that tank then one day you have six hungry fish with nothing to eat. They start off small but can get to 8 inches in the right conditions.. mine is about 5 but again you don't want a starving school of fish in your tank.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 27, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Start with 2, monitor the progress. He was slow to start off but one day I was sitting there and heard the cracking of snail shells and sucking of snail. He went to work. I'm not kidding the bottom of my tank before I cleaned it looked like that scene in the Terminator where it was walking on a sea of crushed skulls and bones.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That variety of sea monkey is very hardy and should survive just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Christ I am glad my wife just missed that pond post and did not catch me looking at the pics else I would be hosed.

Brilliant job though!