Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
This is my current (and second) setup, about 3 months in. It currently houses a dwarf gourami, a black phantom tetra, an otocinclus, and 5 ghost shrimp. I think I'd like to get a small school of neon tetras next. I'd like to get started with live plants too. The only thing living in my tank right now besides my fish is my Marimo moss ball.

I had a couple of headaches along the way. My very first setup had a case of columnaris about 2 months in that wiped my entire community out, so I had to start over and this is the result.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Lacrosse posted:

Tetras are schooling fish. You'll want a black phantom school rather than leave him alone with a school of neons.

Alright, well that solves that problem of what to get next. I asked the guy at the LFS if he would be fine by himself or if he needs a school, he said no problem if he's alone. Guess I'll get a few more black phantoms then!

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Looking for a tank mate for my 6 Zebra Danios. I only want to add one more fish. It's a 15 gallon tank so most huge fish are out.

I was thinking maybe a sword tail? Or maybe a betta? Though I've read zebra danios can sometimes stress bettas. Any ideas? I just want something with color. I love my zebras but they're sort of dull looking.

This is the current setup, not that it matters much, but it'll give you an idea of hiding places.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I upgraded my 10 gallon to a 40 gallon. My 10 gallon previously housed 2 otos, 5 zebra danios, and a male betta (who is one of the most chill bettas ever).

Needless to say, the new tank looks super empty.

I'm considering putting in a couple more zebra danios and possibly another oto or two. I'd really like to get a rainbow or red tailed shark though. The new tank has plenty of caves/hiding spots. Any of you have any concerns about doing this?

If not a rainbow, what other ideas would you have for filling out this tank? I was thinking maybe a school of cherry barbs? They're also small though, I'd like something a bit bigger now that I have the space.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Should I be at all concerned my fish are not "behaving" as they should when it comes to where they're supposed to be swimming? I've got Platys and zebra danios swimming at the bottom, a rainbow shark that likes to swim near the top...my tank seems like bizarro land.

They don't stay there, I guess what I'm trying to say is everyone just swims wherever in the tank. It's a large tank, so I don't think a lack of room is the issue. Just seemed strange to me since I tried to balance out my tank and no one seems to want to hang out where they're supposed to, hah.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Never mind, bad idea from my research.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 16, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I know this is going to seem dumb...but I don't know chiclids at all really. A friend of a friend needed to get rid of him since he's breaking down his aquarium due to moving. He's not that old I guess, only a couple months.

Is this a blue ram? He looks similar to most of the photos I've seen online but he's different enough I'm not positive...If he is what I think he is, he should fit in fine with my setup. If he's something different I'm not sure I could take him.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

jimmynmu posted:

So I have a 20 gallon tank with three older harlequin rasboras and one young opaline gourami. It has been up and running for a good 2-3 months. I'm looking to add some fish to take care of algae growth because my fishtank faces some sunlight and I can't move it anywhere else. Any recommendations on fish that would fit the tank, get along with the tankmates, and keep some of the algae growth down? Here's a pic, although keep in mind I just cleaned out all of the algae. It builds up and I have to clean it off every 2 weeks.

A trio of otocinclus would probably be perfect for your setup. They love algae and don't get big at all. They're also friendly with just about everything.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I set up a small aquarium at work (2.5g) to keep a betta (this makes 4 active aquariums now...). I ended up picking up one of the strangest, weirdest looking bettas I've ever seen. He's in that so odd he's sort of cute category. His eyes are huge and the lack of pigment in his face makes him what I think is pretty unique.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Bait and Swatch posted:

That is a really neat looking fish. Where'd you find it at?

Local fish store - he got in a bunch of unique bettas in his last shipment. He tries to sell bettas that aren't your normal red/blue veil tails.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Zaffy posted:

The general consensus that I've heard is 'bacteria starter' is waste of money. If you want to immediately stock a FW tank the only thing I'd say, tentatively, is to lightly stock a planted tank.

Not necessarily - Seachem's Stability actually works. I'm not sure that I'd add fish right away (people have with dosing it every day without loss of life), but lots of people have had success significantly shortening cycle time with it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So apparently I have a crazy high ammonia spike going on right now. I'm at 4.0ppm and I have no idea why. I have a cycled tank - the other two biggies, nitrites and nitrates, are at 0 and 20ppm respectively. It's always been 0, 0, and 20-40 up until now.

Any ideas on what to do to fix this beyond water changes? I've never dealt with anything like this in the almost year this tank has been going. I've done my weekly water changes, I've taken care not to kill any beneficial bacteria in the filters...I'm at a loss.

Edit: Found what may have been the culprit...Dead platy in an ornament. But really? From 0 to 4.0 in a week?

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 13, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I have a 4 year old betta that is the laziest sack of poo poo you'd ever seen. Describing him like a cat is a perfect way of putting it. Oh, he eats fine, moves fine, and sees fine, he's just the laziest fish I've ever owned. He's been that way since I bought him and he's never changed. You just might have just "lucked out" and got one like mine, hah.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

demonR6 posted:

But, it is a known fact that a lot of these stores like PetSmart and PetCo will sell plants that are not intended for aquatic use i.e. fully under water 24/7 as otherwise.

This is true for their "tube" plants. If you buy them out of tanks they tend to do alright, but the plastic tube plants are not only sometimes not aquatic, they're not even labelled correctly. Last time I was there I saw a tube labelled as water wisteria that I have no idea what it was, but wisteria it definitely was not.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Firestorm - if your ammonia level is 3.0 that's most certainly the problem. Even .5 is toxic.

Try getting an ammonia blocker like prime and make sure to keep dosing it and bump up your water changes to see if the other fish improve. Look up "new tank syndrome" and see if that sounds right.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 8, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Any idea what this stuff is?

I had a friend just text me and said it appeared out of nowhere. I've been keeping an aquarium about 3-4 years so I'm not an expert, but I've never seen anything like it before. I'm assuming it's some sort of algae?

He said it won't vacuum up. It's stuck to the rocks like glue.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 19, 2015

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

SynthOrange posted:

Sorry I was getting painted fish and glofish mixed up. I'm still unsure about a fish engineered to be more appealing as a novelty pet though but they shouldnt have any more health problems than usual.

Honestly breeding glofish is no different than a zebra danio at this point. The genes are there and there's no other alterations besides letting them spawn. They were actually created with a pretty novel purpose in that they weren't originally intended to be pets, they were to be used to detect pollution.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Yeah, but that's just because in those countries (not California, Cali is just weird), any genetically modified organism must be tested by the government no matter how trivial the modification.

They haven't bothered with the required testing since pretty colored fish aren't considered all that important when you've got thousands of strains of food and livestock to intensively test that actually affect people.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I just added 4 Harlequin Rasboras to my 40g aquarium yesterday (with the intention of adding more later), and apparently they've started schooling with my Zebra Danios. I have 8 of those guys in there and they're all swimming together with the rasboras. I've never seen two different types of fish school together so it's pretty neat to see these guys be aquarium buddies.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

McStephenson posted:

So I went out to run an errand and

Man, I love how these fluval tanks look and really want to get one but I'm running out of places in my house to put aquariums. I recently set up my 2 year old daughter her own in her room, not because she showed any interest in it, but because I wanted to set another one up.

Maybe the kitchen. That's not a weird place for an aquarium, right? I already have one in my living room, dining room, and bedroom...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have a 29 gallon tank in the bathroom. Top that, bitches with your little Fluval edges.

For moving, are you driving the distance? How long should it take?

I...uhh...I need a tank in my bathroom now. My bathroom is 15x18 (it was a bedroom the previous owners converted). I could totally put a 55 gallon in there. Sold.