Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Some images of my 55 gallon. :D Going to be replacing the fake plants with more live ones soon, but overall I'm pretty happy with it right now. The smaller piece of mopani wood on the left has a cave that goes all the way through with a slight bend. You can see it in the picture of my pleco.

German Blue Ram:

Flame Gourami, a Julii Cory, and a male Rosy Barb:

My tiny (like 1 inch) Siamese Algae Eater:

Bristlenose Pleco! Thought he was dead for the first week or two after I got him because I didn't see him again. Sure enough, he popped back up. Was only an inch when I got him and now he is like 2.5":

Three of my Julii Corys:

Rainbow Shark:

Two of my three Guppies:

The two long-finned Rosy Barbs I have:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Shakenbaker posted:

Got some more corkscrew vals that could go to a new home if anyone's interested. Just let me know and you too can have the long, manageable curls you've always dreamed of.
I would love some corkscrew vals. Is my 2 watts per gallon lighting going to be sufficient for them?

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Shakenbaker posted:

Far as I know, the watt-per-gallon thing is a bit passe. It's more about getting the wavelength and penetration right. I can tell you it grows like wildfire in my tank with one okay-ish LED fixture (one of these) and some partial sunlight during parts of the day. What sort of bulbs are you using exactly?
6500K bulbs. My crypts and spotted hygro grow like crazy. Anubias grow slow as hell.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I've had my surviving German Blue Ram for about a year in a 55 gallon. Had two, one died after I went away for a weekend and my friend forgot to come over and feed them, but the other is still trucking along and very active. We have pretty hard water here.

Also, my girlfriend bought herself a DSLR for Christmas. She's going to take some pics for me in the next week or so.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Lost my dwarf flame gourami today. He's been looking stressed and swimming very close to the top of the tank for a few days. Nothing physical to indicate disease, fungus, or parasites that I can see. Everything else in my 55 is doing great, including my German blue rams. Water parameters are good. Poor little dude. :(

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
That tank is delightful, Goldmund. The diver is a great touch.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I think the dominant male rosy barb shredded the pectoral fin of the other male in the tank. It was either him or my opaline gourami. Poor guy. He seems to be holding up okay, but half the fin is down to the spines and he's sticking to the part of the tank with the lowest water flow. Thankfully, all of the other fish have been leaving him alone. Wish I had a hospital tank for him. :(

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Stoca Zola posted:

The fish seem to have mostly recovered from their shyness but I'm still seeing them flashing and some have rubbed off a scale here and there. I'm going to try dosing them with Protozin next which I think is malachite green, formalin and some other ingredient I don't remember, maybe copper sulphate?

Copper will kill your snails.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
This is my 55 gallon. I posted it in here a few years ago when the dennison barbs were little, I think.

Gallery

Thalamas fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 19, 2018

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Stoca Zola posted:

I love this tank! I hope my big anubias looks like that one when I move it to the new tank.The barbs look great. Is that a weather loach?

Thanks. There are 3 weather loaches in there. I can rarely get a picture of these littlest one, though. The big anubias were all grown from a cutting off from a friend's tank.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I went away on vacation for a week. Instead of my usual fish friend, our new housemate fed the fish while I was gone.

My siamensis died while I was gone and now my angelfish is swimming vertically off and on. It couldn't even escape the suction of the filter. I've got it in a quarantine tank dosed with some salt. Tried to get him to eat a pea a few times over the past couple days, but no luck. Not seeing much improvement. :(

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I'm setting up a 5 gallon tank on my desk for blue velvet shrimp. Been doing some landscaping and set aside some pieces of stone, mainly local basalt. Took a couple of free floating crypts babies that popped up recently and an anubias nana that got uprooted by my dojo loaches from my 55 gallon tank. Seeded bacteria from my established tank as well. I'd like to try and get some low groundcover going, some kind of moss or microsword maybe. Any recommendations on the hardscape or plants?

Used to have a thriving population of MTS in my 55 gallon. However, when I went looking for them to put in the new one, all I found were empty shells. I knew the dojo loaches were going after the bigger ones, but didn't realize they had killed the whole population. I'll have to get some from a buddy to seed the new tank. :*(

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Anyone know a good source for a bunch of aquarium safe wood? After some research, I'm going to check with my local florists and taxidermy shop for manzanita. Was hoping someone had other suggestions.

I feel like there are so many cheap alternatives to what they sell in the pet store. Like blasting sand for 1/5 the price of aquarium sand. Bulk filter media. That sort of stuff. There's got to be a cheaper way to get nice aquarium wood. I'd love to just gather some... but I live in the inland northwest, so the vast majority of the local driftwood is going to be pine and fir.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Okay, turns out Etsy sells bulk driftwood, cholla, and manzanita for pretty reasonable prices. Going to try my luck with that, then pick up wood from the park by my house to age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

BONGHITZ posted:

Can you pet fish?

Some, BONGHITZ, some...