Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
They sent me a bunch of their line of MTS for free along with an order so I could improve the genetics of my line of MTS so I could send them even higher quality in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The smaller Tetras tend to be finicky and really LOVE a super well established tank. That said, I think your pH is a little on the high end for them? Start tossing in a Cappatta Leaf or Alder Cones or any of the other wood/leaves that will lower pH (bannana, bamboo, cinnamon, etc, there are a LOT of options). Most of them will provide a slow and steady pH lowering effect along with antimicrobal qualities.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Don't bother bagging the fish and plants just dump them into 5g buckets full of tank water. It's a lot easier and you can toss the filter media in there too.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Seems like you're already at max stocking. Mystery Snails are dirty af. Also start smashing those pond snails before they take over. They crunch real good.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Squishy squishy crunch crunch. Feels good.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Snails are awesome and I love them but pond snails are a pest.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The last time I had Ramshorn Snails a bigass adult managed to get stuck in the intake on a HOB and I had to drag out about 6" of snail from the tubing and it was honestly one of the worst things I've ever had to do in my life.

That creature is a Ramshorn Snail not a Pond Snail, so A-OK by my book, even if that species has previously traumatized me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dead snails are just a way to slowly add calcium to the water as their shells dissolve.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Time to buy some anti-bird netting. That hawk knows where to find food now.

https://twitter.com/primawesome/status/1178671690261286918?lang=en

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Anachris maybe?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Every single plant consumes CO2 and produces oxygen as a byproduct of their metabolism/photosynthesis/etc , as I understand it.

But not every plant grows fast and is OK as an outdoor plant.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

No one looks at the aquarium through the lid anyway :shrug:

If I cleaned my lid my aquarium would have a LOT more light.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The big ones will eventually go but that pond would probably have a forever population.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Here's my thinking on ponds - I want to keep it simple and low maintenance, I also want it to be fairly reliable. With this in mind I got a kit so I wouldn't have to worry about leaky liners or sourcing decent hosing. I figure digging a hole in the ground means the sides can't collapse, and as well as that, the dirt I pull out can be used to build up the sides above "ground level" to prevent any random surface water from running into and polluting the pond. I was initially planning to DIY as much as possible but I found a big kit for about $500 cheaper than they usually are, and this meant all the parts neatly boxed for easy delivery to my regional location too. The liner is 8' x 11' but my pond area is a kidney shape that is a little smaller than that. To start with I felt like I was "missing out" if I didn't dig a 8 x 11 rectangular hole but I figured it would be nice to be able to get across to the rest of my yard. So here's before I finished getting it level and deep/wide enough:

I thought I had a picture with the liner in but I don't.

I'm doing a 3.5 tier gravel/rocks ecosystem style pond, with a skimmer with leaf basket and a big piece of filter mat mechanically filtering at one end, and a waterfall filter with 2 layers of finer filter mat and an assortment of every piece of large filtration media (collected in years of buying second hand aquariums) in a bag at the other end. I'm probably going to run a DIY "bog in a barrel" filter too, which I have most of the parts for already. I don't intend on doing any water treatment beyond dechlorination if I end up using tap water, essentially the pond is probably going to be a receptacle for all the fish tank water change water to get it started. I am a little bit conscious that it could become eutrophic but I've trialled a mini pond and so far it is doing well with a smaller bog filter, and a couple of pond plants, not much algae, no bad smells, so we'll see how it scales up. I have been sometimes watering my lemon tree with fishwater but I started my aquarium hobby as a nano-tank keeper looking at all the little guys with a microscope so I feel bad about all that "live" water drying out and dying under the tree so here's hoping those tiny guys will colonise the pond and help keep it healthy.

I've got a few pond pots to plant up, the plan is that any plant that escapes the pot gets chucked - I've seen eelgrass get out of control in a pond before, which ended up trapping too much detritus, so I want to avoid that. I might try javafern out there, or crypts, or if I can find any viable scraps of h. polysperma that might like living in full sun. But I want to keep the pond mostly clear for decent water flow. I've got some bacopa monnieri that was originally aquatic but is now overgrowing a terrarium so I want that as a marginal or emersed plant. So hopefully that will help keep the nutrient levels down. Plus hornwort which floats, and some hydrilla type water weed, which I think is leggy enough that it shouldn't impede flow.

Just thinking about other plants - my mum has a couple of water lily with her 11 gold fish, no problems. She has another water weed type of plant which I think is just generically called pond weed, it has broad leaves, and rhizomes and the goldfish spawn like crazy in it, and hide under it. It might be too tough or just taste bad because they do seem to leave it alone. My mum barely runs her filter and to my mind these pondweeds are keeping her fish alive. I wouldn't mind seeing how that stuff grows, whether it could be contained in a pot, etc. I'm planning on rosy barbs as the first inhabitants of my pond and they are about the same as goldfish in their plant munching, just with smaller mouths.

H. poly is illegal to sell/mail in the USA, but I think you're international? If in the USA message me about definitely NOT sending you cuttings of H. poly var. Sunset.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I think a big problem is that it WILL survive shipping. It's on the US Federal Noxious Weed Registry. What I have is from a purchase over a decade and a half ago, pre-ban, and it fills my tank if I glance away for half a second.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

is this H.poly y'all talking about hydrilla?

No. Hygrophilia polysperma

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

We are almost to page 400 and it's maybe time for a reboot. THE ISSUE AT HAND imho, is that while our current OP is kinda amazing, this isn't just a FW tank thread any more. We got SW freaks, pond weirdos, etc. We can be more inclusive.

I started this in 2008 apparently, farmed out a dece chunk of OP work for the reboot in 2013, etc. A decade-ish later we are almost 400 pages in. It's a lot.

The OP is a thing of beauty, I hadn't looked at it in years.

I dunno SW or ponds, or really anything. A reboot with an OP saying "[SW stuff goes here later]" etc would probably be OK as long as someone backed that up at some point?

HAVE YOU LOOKED AT OUR loving OP IT'S AMAZING

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Just make a new thread simply titled "FISH"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012163

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I guess we have a new thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012163

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Was the idea of the new thread to completely not make any attempt at an OP I don't get it? I don't think we should make a random no effort thread for something this active honestly. Staying here is better unless someone wants to put the effort in to make a real thread?

e: ah it doesn't say so in the new thread that you're going to update the OP but it says so in this thread so I guess it's coming.

Yeah i'm gonna put some effort in there VERY soon.