Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, his disc started falling apart on the other side too. Twice daily water changes and the salinity was the same/.001 off which might have been too much. The bucket water definitely was getting nasty and now I know why, he was falling apart.

I don't know if I did this when I rearranged the tank, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

Is there any chance your star is asexually reproducing? The fission process sounds extremely traumatic/dramatic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual_reproduction_in_starfish
I don’t remember what species you have so I don’t know if this is relevant but wow what a weird way to reproduce. Sea stars have to be about the most alien critters we could keep as pets.

I doubt it. There was a white hole/gash on his disc, and then a second one appeared on the other side. Pretty gruesome. He was def alive and moving but slower than usual, but the water was super cloudy with lots of whisps, like a protein skimmer backed up. Serpent star, not quite a starfish.

I do have asterina stars and they reproduce by fission.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I want coraline algae on my glass but so far none is growing, barely any remains on my live rock.

I recall some additive years ago, some A and B mix, I think was by SeaChem, that was supposed to help seed/grow coraline algae.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Damnit. I picked up 6 hillstream loaches about a week ago. Lost one Saturday, okay, it happens. Today one looks dead, and two more have large white patches, non fuzzy, on their sides. Well gently caress. Thankfully they're in QT but what a loving waste.

The lfs is usually pretty good, I shouldn't have bought them so fast. They'd only been in the store for 4 days.

Moron.

Edit: I messaged the store to find out how the other Hill streams were doing, and they told me they were doing fine and even sent me a little 6 second video about it. Then they told me that the fish were in RO water only, and while that is my fault for not asking, I think it would be somewhat important to have that on a sign somewhere in the store or even told to people when they're buying a lot of expensive fish. That's on me as well though because I didn't ask, and that's even what they passive aggressively told me in the text message.
Another loach dead this morning.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 23, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I added guppies to a tank with scuds.

Within a few weeks fat guppies and no scuds.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
from what I've read, BettaFix is diluted Melafix, which is diluted tea tree oil, which can be used to euthanize fish. so I wouldn't think it that great for fin rot. how big is your tank, and what's the temp? how often do you water change?

you might need to look into something like Kanaplex. and if you can find some catappa leaves, those might help, even if they stain the water a bit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not ich, that poo poo is far more flat and looks like a fine sprinkling of salt. Looks almost like some kind of tumor? Anchor worms usually are a lot smaller and have forked tails if I remember right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Of all the weird things, I got an email from the power company today saying they're going to be doing maintenance and shutting off all power for minimum 3 hours Monday morning. I do have a few of those battery pack things that run on d cel batteries or something, and they're good for a power stone or two per tank. But since I have so many tanks, I'm wondering if I should just snatch up some little backup battery on Amazon that can run several air pump/stones at once.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just have sponge filters so I am debating buying a few of the usb rechargable pumps instead of one massive battery pack.

Like 4 of these:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SB4MLJ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1ZOTI9DDE28NV&psc=1
Instead of 1 of these with cords all over. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PTKV81R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AT3ZAUS8U8BK7&psc=1

I won't be home when this happens so I don't want to have a ton of cords everywhere.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mrs. Dash posted:

I'm setting up a new 29 gallon tank and my spouse who is from Burma is suggesting all the fish, plants, and wood I use be species found in Burma.

Do any of yall have any good go to resources for finding what species are native to specific regions? I'm only aware of vaguely Southeast Asian species but not more specific than that.

Panda garra, lots of danios, gouramis (don't get if you go for panda garras), various loaches sold as sumos.

I got that from https://aquadiction.world/countries/myanmar/
Is Burma Myanmar? That's all that came up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How long does a pet store have the Panda Cories before you buy them? In my experience, they seem to be much more sensitive than the bronze or peppered Cories. Not sure that's a breeding thing or because the line is so inbred or what.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ordered 30 micro brittle stars from a dude on ebay with 100% rating. They were supposed to arrive today.

They arrived Monday. But they didn't get delivered to my house Monday, because my mom got the mail early, LEFT THE KEY in the mailbox, and drove off. So when the mailman came, he found the mailbox wide open. So he left a note saying he found the box open and would reattempt delivery tomorrow, took the key and our mail, and marked the box as "delivered to front desk/reception."

So I got the email of delivery yesterday. After some Abbot and Costello worthy comedy with my mom, speech to text, and the delivery being marked as done, we finally figured out it was not delivered, and after she went to the post office direct, was told it would be delivered tomorrow, Tuesday.

Got the box. No styrofoam? I'm used to that. No marking on the box to show live animals either. Bags of packing peanuts and a hot/cold insulated grocery bag, that held the starfish, with a heat pack directly in the insulated bag. And they were all dead, of course.

I don't know if it was being held in a mail truck for the entire day again, or the shoddy packing. I'm half torn between tearing down the 10 gallon I set up for them (I'll find someone to take the drat gorilla and emerald crabs that came free with live rock) and letting the shipper send me another batch, free of charge.

Between this and all the hillstream loaches I bought from a usually great lfs, this has been a bad buying fish season so far.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Second attempt at getting micro brittle stars from this dude in Florida. This time at least they came in professional looking box, with a styrofoam insert all around, and filter floss to cling onto. Unfortunately, I don't think any of that mattered because he put the heat pack directly next to the bag holding the starfish. They were pretty much mushy limbs by the time I got the box open.

It's been a while since I've received any fish, but since when did that become normal? Why would you put the heat pack literally next to the bag of water!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't gently caress with pH and hardness, it is more trouble than it's worth. a pH of 6 is perfect for blackwater fish, and lots of killifish like the softer water, as do a lot of smaller cories and lots of dwarf non rift lake cichlids.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think I'm going to return to Oscar ownership and finally take the plunge on a 180g.

i have always wanted gold/red severums but my 90 is for my plecos.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i kinda miss my urchins but i do not miss the male jacking off and releasing sperm clouds every water change. or them eating my sponge filters.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

If I have a very mature sponge filter and HOB and I move one of those over to the new tank, how long do I need to cycle the new tank for

Apparently the power went out three days ago while I was out of town and the lamps have been on 24/7 algae is wildly out of control. Well it was out of control before, now it's catastrophic

That should be an instant cycle, but if you're throwing a handful of sand or gravel from the established tank, that should help too.

Wait, the power went out and the lights stayed on?

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I got some chili rasboras a little while ago from the LFS's neocardinia tank. Since they were in a shrimp tank they weren't treated for ich and they brought it in. I tried cranking up the heat to treat but my heaters weren't up to it. So I got a 10 gallon, trimmed up my main tank's overgrowth and evacuated the snails for an ich-x treatment. Anyway, here's my new quarantine tank. Hopefully I did the replanting correctly

Ich is usually present in all tanks, and activated by stress, so you don't treat for it until it shows up, I don't believe there's any preventative measure since it's a stress parasite. When you say quarantine tank, is that where the snails are now or the rasboras?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I appreciate the plant info, everyone. Unrelated note: Keyhole Cichlids have vanished from the hobby. I called/visited 6 stores in my upstate NY city to include LFSs and Big-Box stores, none of them had any keyholes. Got comments like "wow, nobody has asked for those in a while" and "I can't remember the last time I saw them on the wholesale list". They aren't even listed on LiveAquaria.

wetspot has them in stock.

edit: xs size but still.

edit again: https://naturalenvironmentaquatix.com/products/keyhole-cichlid
never ordered from them though, no idea how good they are

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i have never kept suwalesi but really want to; a friend of mine is on Facebook and breeds them (look up Mike Coleman in Arizona, i can always send you his page) and his main thing about instant cycling a shrimp tank is that the shrimp will starve. They need more lived in tanks than an insta cycle one. Maybe check with him, I don't know how expensive the yellow stripes are. He does put pics up of his setups. No idea what other social media he is on. His youtube only has old vids of his freshwater pipefish breeding.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

In my mind I always imagined MonsterFishKeepers vibe would be kind of.....I don't know where the people buying red tail cats and arrowanas hung out, but to my surprise it was more like the saltwater tang police x10. Which don't get me wrong, I'd rather they erred that way than the other, but jesus, you can put more than 1 oscar in a 180g.

Yeah it is kinda funny, you do expect MFK to be all "rawr oscars and big fish for everyone!" but instead most people are pretty chill and understanding that these are super niche fish and not everyone should have them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i know it was years before Covid, but i loving miss when petsmart had insane plakats and dragonscales for cheap, like $10 or so. now they're $30 and look like poo poo.

my wallet loves it. i do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i had a ghost shrimp/prawn kill and eat my favorite cory.

shrimp are murder machines: if they can catch it, they will eat what they can of it. forget loving King Kong, show me a movie where shrimp are four feet long, or praying mantises are six feet tall.

I've been feeding my feather duster worms twice a week, and notice after every feeding, my serpent stars come vaulting out of hiding, arms reaching and grabbing. does that poo poo bother them, or are they just trying to grab the red liquid mist because it's tasty?