Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Loving Life Partner posted:

For people that have read Takeshi Kovacs, is the second book a bit of a letdown?

I'm about 85% finished or something, and some big bad thing is about to be perpetrated, but, I don't even really care all that much at this point.

I feel like the decision to center so much of the book on the mysterious Martian's was a mistake. The flavors of Earth and posthumanism and whatnot were the real draw in the first novel. Having so much hinging on the incredibly incomprehensible machines of Martians, and their singing not-rocks-not-plants and whatnot blah blah blah. It just seems so whatever. Maybe the book will bring it all together in the end, or in the third installment, but this is definitely a drop off after the awesome first book.

I'm about halfway through the last one, Woken Furies, and I'm liking it about as much as Altered Carbon (which is to say a lot). It's a lot more like AC than the second book, which I did find enjoyable as well (just not as much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Loving Life Partner posted:

For people that have read Takeshi Kovacs, is the second book a bit of a letdown?

I'm about 85% finished or something, and some big bad thing is about to be perpetrated, but, I don't even really care all that much at this point.

I feel like the decision to center so much of the book on the mysterious Martian's was a mistake. The flavors of Earth and posthumanism and whatnot were the real draw in the first novel. Having so much hinging on the incredibly incomprehensible machines of Martians, and their singing not-rocks-not-plants and whatnot blah blah blah. It just seems so whatever. Maybe the book will bring it all together in the end, or in the third installment, but this is definitely a drop off after the awesome first book.

I had the same experience of loving Altered Carbon and being indifferent to Broken Angles and finding Woken Furies unreadable. To relive the Altered Carbon expeience, try The Steel Remains by Morgan.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I know it was covered to death in the last thread but I just finished Perdido Street Station and I absolutely loved it to bits. He repeats himself with the polysyllabic words a bit (ineluctably inchoate in its opaque cacophony) and the last-minute revelation that Yag is a rapist kinda came out of nowhere and did nothing except show off how :siren:dark:siren: the story is, but it was refreshing to see a genre novel with this immensely detailed backstory that doesn't read like a drat textbook. He's obviously put a lot of work into his setting but he knows exactly when to pull back and tell the story instead.

Also, Mieville is seriously hunky.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I will never tire of posting this

:gay:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I know it was covered to death in the last thread but I just finished Perdido Street Station and I absolutely loved it to bits. He repeats himself with the polysyllabic words a bit (ineluctably inchoate in its opaque cacophony) and the last-minute revelation that Yag is a rapist kinda came out of nowhere and did nothing except show off how :siren:dark:siren: the story is, but it was refreshing to see a genre novel with this immensely detailed backstory that doesn't read like a drat textbook. He's obviously put a lot of work into his setting but he knows exactly when to pull back and tell the story instead.

Also, Mieville is seriously hunky.

Now get to reading The Scar. It's the best book in the Bas-Lag series, in my opinion.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

Now get to reading The Scar. It's the best book in the Bas-Lag series, in my opinion.
Grabbed, started. Goddam do I love having a Kindle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah The Scar is definitely the best. I thought I was going to like Iron Council a whole lot more than I actually did, and it ended up being a chore to get through. A chore I enjoyed, I guess, I really liked some bits of it, but it somehow just didn't all work for me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ulvir posted:

I feel like the more the books get away from New Crobuzon the better. Mieville just seems way too comfortable writing about sketchy characters just inhabiting the city and the overarching span of politics and society, so much so that he doesn't seem particularly worried about having characters or a plot. Iron Council returning to the setting was a mistake in my opinion, proved by the massive anticlimax where the whole book has been slowly, arduously leading to the Iron Council's arrival at New Crobuzon upon which nothing happens.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I thought that revelation showed Yag's cultural differences from the New Crobuzoners (there's something similar with the city garuda, and the cactusfolk, I think), though I'm not sure how it ties into the book's other concerns, or his character.

I'm sure he has read The Dying Earth, though, and just forgot it. How could he not have?

Megazver posted:

recommendations

I like this post because you listed a lot of books, there's the titles and authors included, and you described them a little, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

House Louse posted:

I like this post because you listed a lot of books, there's the titles and authors included, and you described them a little, too.

Thanks broham. :hfive:

Also, Mieville seems to imply he hasn't read The Dying Earth before writing TC&TC. Frankly, I find this hard to believe:

China Mieville posted:

I should say, also, that with the whole idea of a divided city there are analogies in the real world, as well as precursors within fantastic fiction. C. J. Cherryh wrote a book that had a divided city like that, in some ways, as did Jack Vance. Now I didn’t know this at the time, but I’m also not getting my knickers in a twist about it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

House Louse posted:

I thought that revelation showed Yag's cultural differences from the New Crobuzoners (there's something similar with the city garuda, and the cactusfolk, I think), though I'm not sure how it ties into the book's other concerns, or his character.

Yag's thing was one of my favorite bits. When Isaac decides to stand in judgement over him and took away the possibility of becoming a real(ish) Garuda again, he took an interesting alternative. Yag was, and remained a really bad Garuda. Bad both morally and physically. However, he turned out to be pretty much a big drat hero, or at least big drat anti-hero by criminal/interstitial-human standards, so in the end he decided to live as a human. Almost a happy ending. Sort of.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Megazver posted:

Also, Mieville seems to imply he hasn't read The Dying Earth before writing TC&TC. Frankly, I find this hard to believe

To be fair, they're super different.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

Libriomancer by Jim Hines. Less derivative of Dresden Files than Iron Druid, but more or less as fluff-y. It's alright.

Speaking of Jim C. Hines, I whole heartedly recommend his Princess Series. A fantasy series of 4 novels, it is based around Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. He takes the inspiration for the characters and stories more from the original fairytales, but there could be some inspiration from the Disney versions, it has actually been a while since I read them, but Hines definitely puts his own spin on their stories and characters. The 4 books are, in order, The Stepsister Scheme, The Mermaid's Madness, Red Hood's Revenge, and The Snow Queen's Mirror.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can I get a goonsensus on why I should avoid Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons? I remember there being a reason people don't like them but I can't remember what it was and I'm hearing great things about it on another forum. And I love the idea of posthumans recreating the Trojan war on Mars. It sounds loving awesome. I'm really enjoying The Terror by Simmons so far, and Hyperion will be the next book of his I tackle, but I'm wondering why people say stop there.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hedrigall posted:

Can I get a goonsensus on why I should avoid Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons? I remember there being a reason people don't like them but I can't remember what it was and I'm hearing great things about it on another forum. And I love the idea of posthumans recreating the Trojan war on Mars. It sounds loving awesome. I'm really enjoying The Terror by Simmons so far, and Hyperion will be the next book of his I tackle, but I'm wondering why people say stop there.

Olympos is the not as good one, I liked Ilium. It's the same deal with The Fall of Hyperion, Simmons is just not good at sequels.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 7, 2013

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

House Louse posted:

There's this, that the cultural differences between Isaac and the desert garuda make it impossible for Isaac to judge Yag by the garuda's standards ie the crime as choice theft and not as rape, but I also read his character as a bit of a piss take on the whole fantasy archetype of the mysterious noble savage.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hedrigall posted:

If the Trojan war piece geeks you out, I say go for it. I'm a Homer fan, and I think that's the reason I liked the two books more than most.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hedrigall posted:

The trojan war bit is fine, and the moravec robots are interesting, but the part that threw me was the GLOBAL CALIPHATE creating an anti-jew virus and a species of anti-jew murderbots

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

andrew smash posted:

The trojan war bit is fine, and the moravec robots are interesting, but the part that threw me was the GLOBAL CALIPHATE creating an anti-jew virus and a species of anti-jew murderbots

I haven't read those but that sounds about right considering how Simmons is just one of those writers that went completely nuts after 9/11.

I remember hearing a synopsis of one of his recent books and it was something like "30 years in the future, America is in ruins because of Obamacare. Also, Mexicans are still illegally crossing the border despite the US being a shitpile".

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Did Robert A. Heinlein write anything that wasn't just one giant incoherent rant about incest/whatever the gently caress else he was obsessed with? Not that I am ever going to waste my time reading any more of his works but I am just curious. Even Dan Simmon's crazy loving self can actually tone down and write a good story (The Terror), but when it comes to Heinlein it just seems to me that he wasn't interested in anything other than putting down his opinions in book form and hitting you over the head with it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No. No, he did not.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Did Robert A. Heinlein write anything that wasn't just one giant incoherent rant about incest/whatever the gently caress else he was obsessed with? Not that I am ever going to waste my time reading any more of his works but I am just curious.

Have Spacesuit - Will Travel? It and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress are the only two Heinlein books I really enjoyed. Have Spacesuit is written as a YA novel, but I enjoyed it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Did Robert A. Heinlein write anything that wasn't just one giant incoherent rant about incest/whatever the gently caress else he was obsessed with? Not that I am ever going to waste my time reading any more of his works but I am just curious. Even Dan Simmon's crazy loving self can actually tone down and write a good story (The Terror), but when it comes to Heinlein it just seems to me that he wasn't interested in anything other than putting down his opinions in book form and hitting you over the head with it.

Yah. A bunch of his juveniles fit this, but a Citizen of the Galaxy is probably his best pure story space romp. It's as good a story as Moon is a Harsh Mistress without any crazy space politics or incest chat or anything.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Have Spacesuit - Will Travel? It and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress are the only two Heinlein books I really enjoyed. Have Spacesuit is written as a YA novel, but I enjoyed it.

All Heinlein is actually YA in one sense or another. His first twelve novels up through Starship Troopers were explicitly YA (the "juveniles"), but really everything he ever wrote shows that early YA bent to his career. His target audience was always the intelligent thirteen year old boy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Heinlein's earlier books (pre-Starship Troopers, I think) are generally more highly regarded than the later. Look at the SFE entry.

Hedrigall posted:

I thought goonsensus was actually "Read Ilium, avoid Olympos, which is where things go downhill"?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Everything before Starship troopers, especially his short stories. None of his shorts suck, many of them are some of the finest examples of the form in SF. Get a copy of The Green Hills of Earth.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Megazver posted:

The Breach by Patrick Lee. Unrelenting, mindfucky thriller.
Excellent suggestion. Bought this from your list and the first 30% was so good, I'm going to do the trilogy on audiobook. Thanks! Good description :-)

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Happy Hedonist posted:

:catstare: I don't know how anybody can enjoy that book

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

:catstare: I don't know how anybody can enjoy that book

Well, Moon was written before the internet filled up with 15 year old white basement libertarians, so the idea wasn't quite as poisoned as it is with modern sophomores and republicans.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Megazver posted:

You got most of them, really. Here's a few more:

The Rook: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley. Slightly Whedonesque UF with an espionage bent. Excellent.

Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore. Probably darker than Twenty Palaces, still quite good.

Libriomancer by Jim Hines. Less derivative of Dresden Files than Iron Druid, but more or less as fluff-y. It's alright. Speaking of the Druid, the sixth book is out.

London Falling by Paul Cornell. A British Police Procedural. Cops desperately trying to figure out how to deal with a hosed-up supernatural threat. I found the first act a little hard to get into, but once poo poo hits the fan, it's a fun ride for the rest of the book.

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. This is set in a secondary world, but it's very much UF to my taste. A mage has a few days to solve a god's murder and try to bring him back to life. Fantastic worldbuilding.

Low Town by Daniel Polansky. Noir UF \ fantasy hybrid.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland. Awesome covers. Barely any romance, which is a plus for me in UF. A girl gets saved from death by a mysterious benefactor who also gets her a job at a local morgue. Then weird poo poo starts happening, not the least to her own body. The author spent a few years working as a coroner and it shows - I actually enjoyed the parts about her job a bit more than the supernatural bits.

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig. A psychic who can see when people die, sees her own death.

A few more off-beat suggestions that aren't strictly UF:

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis. Watch the trailer if "this is by Warren Ellis" isn't recommendation enough.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr. New York, 1896. When a serial killer starts butchering boy prostitutes, Police Commissioner Roosevelt sets up a secret task force to help hunt him down with the power of alienism and forensics! (That's what they called psychology back then, in case any of you don't know.)

Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis. Wisecracking gumshoe solves crimes and travels around Imperial Rome. A really entertaining mix of mystery, humor, adventure and romance.

If the prior poster liked the Patricia Briggs books they may also like the Rachel Morgan/The Hollows books by Kim Harrison. They are basically a female Dresden in a slightly more fantasy version of the world, with a little bit more romance.

Also Pixies and Faeries are badass infiltrators/assassins, and one of the main characters is a Pixie.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I don't like Heinlein's writing, but I can't dislike him because this letter always makes me go :3:.

Phillip K Dick posted:

"Several years ago, when I was ill, Heinlein offered his help, anything he could do, and we had never met; he would phone me to cheer me up and see how I was doing. He wanted to buy me an electric typewriter, God bless him—one of the few true gentlemen in this world. I don't agree with any ideas he puts forth in his writing, but that is neither here nor there. One time when I owed the IRS a lot of money and couldn't raise it, Heinlein loaned the money to me. I think a great deal of him and his wife; I dedicated a book to them in appreciation. Robert Heinlein is a fine-looking man, very impressive and very military in stance; you can tell he has a military background, even to the haircut. He knows I'm a flipped-out freak and still he helped me and my wife when we were in trouble. That is the best in humanity, there; that is who and what I love."

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I don't like Heinlein's writing, but I can't dislike him because this letter always makes me go :3:.

There is another along the same lines.

Theodore Sturgeon writes to Heinlein for help with a crippling case of writers block. Heinlein writes back with 26 story ideas, and a check for next months rent.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/help-from-heinlein.html

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

You should definitely read them. The Trojan War stuff is awesome, and the other plot-lines can be slow at first but get interesting too. The second book wasn't as good as the first for me, but I think most of it had to do with a lot of the mysteries in the series already being revealed, and a large part of the appeal was trying to figure out how all the different elements in the separate plots tied together.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

andrew smash posted:

The part where the Protagonist history professor takes Paris' form and fucks Helena better than Paris ever did is pretty iffy too.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Slo-Tek posted:

There is another along the same lines.

Theodore Sturgeon writes to Heinlein for help with a crippling case of writers block. Heinlein writes back with 26 story ideas, and a check for next months rent.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/help-from-heinlein.html

drat, this is extraordinary! After all this talk of batshit crazy rear end in a top hat sci-fi writers, along comes this fine loving gentleman.

Now you will all probably find some article about heinlein that he serially raped and killed little orphan girls or some poo poo...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a fantasy novel or series that is relatively optimistic? I'm just not very into the whole GRRM grim-and-gritty-'realism' schtick. If you don't mind a bit of a rant, I like my fantasy to be, well, fantasy. I already know people suck, I'd like to get away from that for a while. I've tried reading the Wheel of Time series and didn't like it very much. I also like urban fantasy quite a bit - I've read the Dresden Files, Rivers of London, Felix Castor, the Rook, and some others.
Now I don't mean to imply I dislike it when bad things happen, I'm ok with horrific destruction so long as it's treated with gravitas and anguish and it all ends on a somewhat upbeat note.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Decius posted:

The part where the Protagonist history professor takes Paris' form and fucks Helena better than Paris ever did is pretty iffy too.

Hahaha, yeah, I forgot about that.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a fantasy novel or series that is relatively optimistic? I'm just not very into the whole GRRM grim-and-gritty-'realism' schtick. If you don't mind a bit of a rant, I like my fantasy to be, well, fantasy. I already know people suck, I'd like to get away from that for a while. I've tried reading the Wheel of Time series and didn't like it very much. I also like urban fantasy quite a bit - I've read the Dresden Files, Rivers of London, Felix Castor, the Rook, and some others.
Now I don't mean to imply I dislike it when bad things happen, I'm ok with horrific destruction so long as it's treated with gravitas and anguish and it all ends on a somewhat upbeat note.
From earlier up on the page:

Food Guy posted:

Speaking of Jim C. Hines, I whole heartedly recommend his Princess Series. A fantasy series of 4 novels, it is based around Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. He takes the inspiration for the characters and stories more from the original fairytales, but there could be some inspiration from the Disney versions, it has actually been a while since I read them, but Hines definitely puts his own spin on their stories and characters. The 4 books are, in order, The Stepsister Scheme, The Mermaid's Madness, Red Hood's Revenge, and The Snow Queen's Mirror.

There are some darker points in this series, but overall it doesn't go anywhere near grimdark, with the exception of one particular part, but it is treated with the appropriate gravitas required.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois Bujold. You'll either love or hate Max Frei's The Stranger books. Check out the reviews and excerpts to find out which. Pratchett, obviously. Start with, hmmm, Guards Guards, Going Postal or Small Gods. It's been a while since I've read Robert Asprin's Myth books but the first few books should be good, I believe. Bridge of Birds. The Ethshar books are reportedly fun upbeat fantasy slice-of-life affairs, but I haven't had the chance to get to them yet. The Iron Druid books are pretty much Dresden Files-lite and will hit the same spot. Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis is the first book in a fun series about a Roman gumshoe. John Scalzi writes scifi, but I think you'll enjoy it. I suspect you might have an easier time getting into The Songs of Dying Earth, the all-star tribute anthology of stories set in Jack Vance's Dying Earth than if you started with the real deal.

For other UF picks check out my post on the previous page and the guy I responded to. Good books there.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 8, 2013

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I think this might be interesting to you: http://www.amazon.com/From-Hell-ebook/dp/B0055SXWLG/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373301361&sr=1-1&keywords=from+hell+ian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Megazver posted:

You got most of them, really. Here's a few more:

The Rook: A Novel by Daniel O'Malley. Slightly Whedonesque UF with an espionage bent. Excellent

I loved this, first time author and if he can match it he is going to be really successful

quote:

These were great up until the very end. I was actually kind of angry at how they left it, I don't want to figure it out I want an ending . Others may enjoy it but it really didn't do it for me.