Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Didn't the author do an interview where she basically said the publisher latched on to that, and she basically intended it the way you described?

I'm cynical enough to believe that completely. Not only does it allow the publisher to push out a book that tickets the "LGBTQ" boxes, it also allows them to tick the "Empowered female lead!" box as well.

The book is great (the first one anyway), and the sexuality doesn't mean poo poo in the book, but it's cheap and easy promo material for a publisher or whoever is in charge of marketing to show how "This book is different and quirky and also IT'S GOT GAY PEOPLE OMG". That makes people who are trying to be as woke as possible look at the book and not read some random biography about some dude or chick in another country growing up and dealing with genocide and eating dirt and being a child soldier or whatever, because this might check more boxes on their punchcard of tolerance!

Like I said, I'm cynical as hell about this kinda stuff, and if the book is a big hit (which it needs to be), you can bet the market is gonna be flooded in a year or so with really bad variations on the theme that will end up NOTHING like the actual book because the publishers will invariably miss the point of it being a good book because it's written well and is interesting, and instead focus on the wrong things because they didn't read the goddamn thing, they just saw "OH poo poo LESBIAN NECROMANCERS, gently caress WE NEED GAY WIZARDS AND BISEXUAL WARLOCKS IN A LOVE TRIANGLE". It'll be twilight/hunger games all over again.

BUT

In happier news, I enjoyed the prologue. Kinda dug the cover art too. Weird boob armor but honestly, reminds me of Hela from marvel comics. If you are gonna be rocking bone armor, loving rock it with style.

edit - Upon rereading, I am apparently in a bit of a mood today and didn't realize it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I'm of two minds about the tagline being 'Lesbian necromancers etc!'. It feels exploitative as Stupid_Sexy_Flander pointed out but I also feel like it could, possibly, be a good way to let people know 'Hey, this book might have characters that share your voice' which is usually a good thing.

That being said, if I were Tamsyn Muir I'd want the Warren Ellis quote on the cover but that's me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, dude who did the cover art painted it with his off hand cause his regular was hosed up.

That's... that's really humbling. My off hand can't regularly get a spoon to my mouth.

https://twitter.com/TommyArnoldArt/status/1178713559867494400

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm not a huge fan of the marketing, but whatever, it got me to read Gideon and Gideon is really, really well written and fun. It's not often I run into a concept that sounds amazing and then it also has amazing execution.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Goddamn, dude who did the cover art painted it with his off hand cause his regular was hosed up.

That's... that's really humbling. My off hand can't regularly get a spoon to my mouth.

how

if I try to do anything with my right hand it's like I've forgotten how to function. Childish squiggles, can't hold a pencil, the works.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Kalman posted:

I mean, Harrow absorbed Gideon’s memories/personality/power/whatever, so maybe we’re getting a Gideon viewpoint after all.

That occurred to me as well and I would absolutely be on board.

StrixNebulosa posted:

if I try to do anything with my right hand it's like I've forgotten how to function. Childish squiggles, can't hold a pencil, the works.

I actually had a class in art school where we were encouraged to draw with our off-hands to train them. It's certainly possible to do, it's just a huge pain in the dick to teach yourself basic motor skills as an adult.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers, and I'm wondering if it gets better or the payoff is worth it?

Right now the story is just spy and counter spy and counter spy spy shenanigans (that aren't really that much fun). It's kinda boring. Will the payoff of THE HORRORS HE'S SEEN be worth the read or is it gonna be some lame rear end Lovecraftian "OH poo poo MY ANCESTOR hosed A MONKEY GOD" kinda thing?

I've heard good things about the book, but honestly it's kinda boring right now. I'll push through if it gets better though.

Nah, the supernatural bits of that book aren’t actually all that exciting in the end. I think the beginning fourth or so was the best part.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Declare often gets sold as "horror + spy fiction" as if both aspects are present in equal measure. What you're actually getting is a spy novel with a touch of horror.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Second person worked in Raven Tower, I’m sure it can work here.

people bitch but if the story is good, the story is good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

For me, knowing the Gideon was a lesbian rocketed it up the reading priority list from "want to read eventually" to "want to read right now", so it worked for at least one person!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers, and I'm wondering if it gets better or the payoff is worth it?

Right now the story is just spy and counter spy and counter spy spy shenanigans (that aren't really that much fun). It's kinda boring. Will the payoff of THE HORRORS HE'S SEEN be worth the read or is it gonna be some lame rear end Lovecraftian "OH poo poo MY ANCESTOR hosed A MONKEY GOD" kinda thing?

I've heard good things about the book, but honestly it's kinda boring right now. I'll push through if it gets better though.

The thing with Declare is, it's historical fiction spy novel first, fantasy horror second. What's amazing is that it works as both at the same time; everything in the book is completely consistent both with spy tradecraft and with all known details from the historical record. The gaps are just filled in fantastically.

Also, it's pretty much the first modern "urban fantasy" written, unless you count things like Dracula.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/BloomsburyBooks/status/1178618613693112320

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mewse posted:

I recently finished reading Traitor and Monster and I thought they were very good. I was worried they’d be too smart for me and was hoping for political intrigue on the approximate level of Dune and I feel like that’s what I got. The political scheming feels like it kinda recedes to the background in the second book

I'm in the middle of Monster and I think I should have reread Traitor since I read that one so long ago. I'm kinda confused about the structure of Falcrest. Is it supposed to be like Ancient Rome where there is both a Senate (Parliament) and Emperor?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Oh holy poo poo yes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm in the middle of Monster and I think I should have reread Traitor since I read that one so long ago. I'm kinda confused about the structure of Falcrest. Is it supposed to be like Ancient Rome where there is both a Senate (Parliament) and Emperor?

The emperor is a literal figurehead who might be literally lobotomized, the “steering committee” with Baru’s mentor and apparitor etc is the power behind the throne and there’s a public parliament that gets pissed when Baru foments rebellion in the 1st book. The navy is supposed to be centrally controlled with purges etc but that admiral Ormsment goes rogue to go after Baru

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
re: lesbian necromancers--it's correct that that isn't an accurate label for the book, and yet in a way it is. It's written in that very modern voice from the kind of perspective that would think "lesbian necromancers explore a creepy space mansion" is a cool idea and so labeling it that way makes it appeal to the people it's meant to appeal to. While being, as mentioned, totally inaccurate. :shrug:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
No, it's completely *technically* accurate. But it's not actually representative of the story and it's a weird way to characterize it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I told the editor to his face the marketing sucks (sorrrrry Carl) and he very patiently explained that the point is to use simple, shareable, meme-level hooks to get attention so people will read the actual copy. I’m not sold totally but it makes a kind of sense.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well after all this I'm seriously considering spending $14 for an ebook about lesbian necromancers instead of waiting ˜12 weeks to get it from the library.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

I told the editor to his face the marketing sucks (sorrrrry Carl) and he very patiently explained that the point is to use simple, shareable, meme-level hooks to get attention so people will read the actual copy. I’m not sold totally but it makes a kind of sense.

That sounds like the sort of dumbass decision Facebook would come to after looking at a bunch of KPIs deprived of context.

Both make them more money, so I guess neither is considered wrong. rolls eyes

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mewse posted:

The emperor is a literal figurehead who might be literally lobotomized, the “steering committee” with Baru’s mentor and apparitor etc is the power behind the throne and there’s a public parliament that gets pissed when Baru foments rebellion in the 1st book. The navy is supposed to be centrally controlled with purges etc but that admiral Ormsment goes rogue to go after Baru

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

withak posted:

Well after all this I'm seriously considering spending $14 for an ebook about lesbian necromancers instead of waiting ˜12 weeks to get it from the library.

You can wait.

I’m honestly not getting the wild praise for it. The setting was interesting, but the language and tone were just so weird in a way that did not ever work for me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I guess the sequel looking at Childermass, Vinculus and other lower class characters from Jonathan Strange got shelved. Oh well, given I expected nothing I can't complain and this'll be a day one purchase, easily.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

re: lesbian necromancers--it's correct that that isn't an accurate label for the book, and yet in a way it is. It's written in that very modern voice from the kind of perspective that would think "lesbian necromancers explore a creepy space mansion" is a cool idea and so labeling it that way makes it appeal to the people it's meant to appeal to. While being, as mentioned, totally inaccurate. :shrug:

Thank you, this is the first storyline description of the book that I have read here so far.
I guess that description is as accurate as first contact novel is for blindsight.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ShutteredIn posted:

You can wait.

I’m honestly not getting the wild praise for it. The setting was interesting, but the language and tone were just so weird in a way that did not ever work for me.

At this point you're in the minority, though, so

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ShutteredIn posted:

Nah, you should get Gideon now. The language and tone are all perfectly on-brand for the setting, it's just that the setting is loving weird in that it combines pervasive necromancy with space travel-level tech.

...it really reminds me of 40k with modern slang more than anything else.

EDIT: mind, you that goddamn second person in the preview for the sequel pisses me off.

FAKE EDIT 2: Yes, Battuta, it pissed me off in Raven Tower too.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, it's pretty much the first modern "urban fantasy" written, unless you count things like Dracula.

I'm not sure what you mean here... There's plenty of urban fantasy, similar to the stuff being published today, that came out before it.

Great news on the Susannah Clarke novel though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think that's true at all. Declare came out in what, 2001?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think that's true at all. Declare came out in what, 2001?

Unless HA's using a different definition of "urban fantasy" than the rest of us. (For me, modern urban fantasy starts in the mid-80s with Tea with the Black Dragon, Charles de Lint's Ottawa novels, and War for the Oaks.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ulmont posted:

Nah, you should get Gideon now. The language and tone are all perfectly on-brand for the setting, it's just that the setting is loving weird in that it combines pervasive necromancy with space travel-level tech.

...it really reminds me of 40k with modern slang more than anything else.

EDIT: mind, you that goddamn second person in the preview for the sequel pisses me off.

FAKE EDIT 2: Yes, Battuta, it pissed me off in Raven Tower too.

we gon' have a fight over Raven Tower then, because it is a perfect choice

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

No, it's completely *technically* accurate. But it's not actually representative of the story and it's a weird way to characterize it.

Well it's probably only one or two or three of the characters who are lesbians (and nobody actually has time to spend on sex or romance, being mostly too busy trying to not die and stuff; sexuality is mainly relevant as a character detail and a somewhat distant background motivation factor). Also the mansion is not actually in space, it's on a fairly nice planet with sunshine and breathable atmosphere and so on (although they do have to travel through space to get to it, I guess).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Both Raven Tower and Broken Earth were fantastic. Bring on more second person.

Italo Calvino did it so it can't be wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Groke posted:

Well it's probably only one or two or three of the characters who are lesbians (and nobody actually has time to spend on sex or romance, being mostly too busy trying to not die and stuff; sexuality is mainly relevant as a character detail and a somewhat distant background motivation factor). Also the mansion is not actually in space, it's on a fairly nice planet with sunshine and breathable atmosphere and so on (although they do have to travel through space to get to it, I guess).

And where are planets, smartypants? :colbert:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Orv posted:

And where are planets, smartypants? :colbert:

Well obviously they are FLAT and therefore are not in SPACE, duh.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I think part of the point of "lesbian necromancers" is representation -- sure, from a plot-centric point of view it may not be a critical detail, but it clearly impacts Gideon's point of view -- and, notably, it's not yet another setting where our first-world prejudices, etc, impact things -- she's not suffering because of her orientation, worried about society's views on it, etc -- and the author is on record as that being an intentional feature of the setting, she wants to write about worlds where it simply doesn't matter and is not big deal that some characters are LGBTQ. To me, a cis het white guy from the US midwest, it's some interesting flavor to the POV character and a nice change of pace from other (much more typical) protagonists I have read. To other readers of different backgrounds and orientations, based on reactions I've seen, it makes a huge difference. And it certainly in no way *detracts* from a super fun book.

Do they over-do it in the marketing? Maybe a little, but it certainly doesn't seem to have hurt, it arguably may have helped the book stand out from other books, and in any case, I'm glad I heard about it one way or another because I loved the book.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I read it because I heard of the space necromancer lesbians, it tipped it over the edge to the 'must read immediately' pile - there's still not that much well-handled representation in sci-fi.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Well, it's a very fine book, in any case, and getting more people to read it is a good thing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh one of the most visible reviews for it on goodreads is really negative. I'm terrible at writing reviews but I'll write one for this since I know that's pretty important.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Groke posted:

It’s basically in space the same way every book set on Earth is in space. I feel like it gave me some And Then There Were None vibes as well? Really did a good job with its mysteries imo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Moira Quirk's narration in the audio book makes Harrow sound exactly like the sort of prissy princess you'd want to deck in the hallway of an English boarding school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I know they weren't the greatest but totally ignoring the existence of Roger Zelazny's two Amber series is dirty pool, HA.
The Corwin-Amber series used Earth as the starting-off point and jumped back to Zelazny-Earth three or four times to advance the plot/solve the series mysteries.
The Merlin-Amber series was more Earth focused, plot and characterwise.

Ignoring Kim Newman in total is hilarious too. Kim Newman was one of the vanguards of the modern urban fantasy genre. Newman's writing style literally was and still is "all popular culture/urban legends/movies/books/comics/myths ARE TRUE,", which is the goddamn DEFINITION of "Modern Urban Fantasy" to me.