Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TOOT BOOT posted:

Did anyone read the Great Way trilogy by Harry Connolly? I'm about halfway through the second book and not really feeling it. Does it get better? It's written in such a way that the reader always figures things out long before the characters do but instead of making me feel smart it makes me think the protagonists are dense.

The series ending is really dumb and comes out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

thespaceinvader posted:

I shall obtain it. Thank you.

That's not the right book, the real book isn't out for another two weeks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just started Barrayar. I was underwhelmed by the first two novels, so if it doesn't get any better, I'll stop here.

I'd suggest skipping to the first Miles book, personally, if you didn't really like the first two. The Miles books have a much different feel than the ones about his parents.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
It was the easiest thing in the world

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Jedit posted:

Zelazny was one of the original members of the Wild Cards Collective, so it's a pretty good example.

The point is that Wild Cards is fanfic-quality because it's not very good.

by.a.teammate posted:

Has anyone read live free and die by John Ringo? I wanted to give it a go since the whole maple syrup war angle sounded funny but my god I just got to the bit when all the blondes in the world now go into heat every month because of aliens. I'm embarrassed to be reading this. Also I'm guessing Ringo is a member of the tea party?

Yes, and also far worse things. Live Free and Die is probably one of his problematic series, though. His Ghost series is about a self-insert pedophile rapist (literally no exaggeration here)