Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Completely new to scifi and this thread, but I havent seen GRRM mentioned (so I have no idea if hes considered bad here) but Im in love with his short stories. Used to think that scifi was boring (too cold, metal-like, foreign) but holy crap, the world he makes is awesome. And I'm running out of stories to read from him. I started off with dreamsongs 1 and 2 and got familar with the various planets and races mentioned through out then moved on to some other novellas and books. Very cool critters in Tuf Voyaging and the whole history on how he came across the ship. Random religions and cultures like the steel angels.

I just love the fact that theres such an in depth world that I got to know over the course of several shorter pieces.. are there any other things like this? I'm trying to read some anthologies right now (songs of the dying earth) and the writing style is very noticeably different that its just not as fun either. Anything else like this? I dont necessarily want a series...where you follow a set of characters around for a while..but a collection of smaller stories set in the same universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU