Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tildes posted:

E: for general geopolitics I would second at least the first Baru Cormorant book.

Maybe City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett? Also has the geopolitics + not just Europe vibe. (His newest book Foundryside is better imo but not really related).

The Baru Cormorant books as well as the City of Stairs books are both well worthy of recommendations. And reading. Read those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Good stuff !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you're only going to read one Heinlein that's probably the one to read; it's the balance point between his juvies and his crazy poo poo, so you get a sense of both. Avoid anything he wrote after that unless you're writing a paper on Heinlein.

His best overall novel though is probably Citizen of the Galaxy, his last true juvie.

I'm going to agree and also chime in a recommendation for his short stories. There's some great SF and just plain great writing in The Green Hills of Earth.

In other news, Becky Chambers' To Be Taught, If Fortunate came out this week. It's not part of the Wayfarer's series, but she's an author I have come to trust. Warning, it's a novella.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Just finished Murderbot. Are the authors other books good? They don't really look like my thing, otherwise.

I read her Star Wars novel, it was pretty good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's an easy decision on the pre-order.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm a sucker for well-drawn character-driven fiction but even so Murderbot is one of the best things in SF lately. Just hugely empathic without being cliche or cloying or melodramatic or predictable.

Speaking of character driven, I just finished Becky Chamber's latest, To Be Taught, If Fortunate. It's a novella that feels more like a long short story than a short novel. In the future, crowdfunded space exploration has advanced to the point of STL interstellar exploration. The four characters on the mission explore a few different alien planets and geek out over weird alien biology. Then Earth goes silent and the characters are faced with a choice: Go home and try and rekindle the drive for space exploration, or to continue the mission by using the last of their fuel to explore a second star system. They send the final report on their discoveries home with a question: come home or go onwards. The story ends with the message sent and the characters going into hibernation to await an answer.

I'm a serious space exploration geek. Stuff like this honestly makes me tear up, I'm doing it again just summarizing the story this baldly.

I know we're loving up our one planet, but the stars are calling. Let's go.

https://www.hodderscape.co.uk/becky-chambers-to-be-taught/

genericnick posted:

Finished Ash today.

Lately I find myself reaching for my iPad and then feeling sad because I'm not still reading Ash. That book can get under your skin.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

orange sky posted:

Which Ash book are you talking about here?

Mary Gentle's Ash: A Secret History, which is apparently all of them. I spent so long in her head and her world that I got comfortable there.