Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite part of the Black Company series is how the first book sets up one character, Raven, as the typical mysterious super-cool badass then the entire rest of the series shows that no, he's a piece of poo poo and lame as hell, accidentally making things easier for the villains several times, loving up regularly, and being a lovely dad. One book is dedicated to doing that, even. The biggest problem with Cook though is he doesn't know how to end his stories. Every single novel of his I've read builds up to a big drawn-out climactic finish which is over in a few pages and that's it, some characters died or something, whatever, book over, go do something else now.

Speaking of which, has there been any word at all on the next couple Black Company books? All I've heard is that they're being written and there are two of them.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've finally gotten around to reading the second Dread Empire trilogy that Glen Cook wrote and I'm on to the one he released back in 2012. I think I liked the earlier ones more though, especially the first. It felt to me like the literary equivalent of those vans from the 70s with wizards and lightning and poo poo stenciled on the sides and the later ones kind of abandoned it for more armies and soldiers and stuff, more like Black Company. I did like his attempt at writing court intrigue in Ill Fate Marshalling, though I think the problem is again that he barely fleshes out his characters. I think I'm going to wait a few days before I move on to the last one, but what should I move on to reading afterwards once I've finished if I want something similar to that first Dread Empire book? I loved Black Company but I'm a little tired of reading fantasy military fiction after that and what Dread Empire ended up as. I recall Malazan being thrown around earlier, should I pick up the first book for that series?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I finally finished the last Dread Empire book. It was kind of awful between the pedo wizard, nothing happening for half of it, and it not really ending. Also between the 25 years it took to write it because the original manuscript got stolen Cook kind of forgot some of what happened in the earlier ones. Huge letdown after the rest of them. I'm taking the thread's advice and starting in on the Malazan series next, I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zola posted:

I read them recently. Good, solid workmanship, even when zombies aren't particularly my thing.

I liked them but really could have done without the incest and justification for why its totally ok at the end of the last one. Also the one character at the very end died because no one knew to just drop the pda. It's an upload, you don't need to do anything else with it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have a hundred bucks to blow on dumb fantasy novels, and I would like to get a series of dumb fantasy novels. I'm thinking of getting Black Company, because I can order the whole set of omnibhses for 84 dollars, but I'm open to suggestions! I'd prefer poo poo that's finished.

Fake edit I have Malazan

Speaking of Black Company, apparently Cook released another novel last year? Has anyone read it?

e: by most accounts it is bad

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 5, 2019