Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys I've been on a two year long sci-fi binge and I'm running out of ideas for what to read next, was hoping you had some suggestions for me.

I would really like something with cyberpunk elements but also with strong prose and that has been written recently enough to extrapolate contemporary technology in to the future. I'm cool with anything from contemporary to the distant future as far as setting goes. Needs to be available in audiobook.

I think what I am looking for is something covering similar subject matter to Altered Carbon if that makes sense. I really like stuff with biotech implants, computer viruses, hacking, designer drugs, virtual reality, etc.

As far as the writing style, I really liked Dune, Hyperion and Neuromancer.

I am also really in to Neil Stephenson for his immense research and detail and whatever I read next I would like for it to be long as I primarily listen to Audiobooks at work and I want something that will last a few days at least.

I like Vernor Vinge but I found Rainbows End to be a little too... silly? Liked the tech but looking for something darker. Gibson is great but I thought Pattern Recognition was a little dull and low on technology futurism stuff. I intend to read Broken Angels (Kovachs 2) but I'd like to try a different author first since I just finished Altered Carbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

robotox posted:

I'm looking for something that I guess would best be described as cyberpunky, which I know was discussed a little in the last page, though I have some caveats/additions.

Basically, my job is incredibly reactionary so I have time to read occasionally. I'm looking for something light-ish, by which I mean anything short of the hyper-dense, philosophical tomes that some people put out. They're fine, but I don't want to have to reread the last handful of pages when I have to read in short bursts. It doesn't need to be some piece of OH MY GOD NONSTOP ACTION novel, but a little escapist.

I say I'm looking for cyberpunk because I tend to have a fondness for the noir vibe and I have a preference for near-to-mid-future stuff that's based on Earth, or at least not extremely space opera stuff. One way that I'd describe what I'm looking for is urban fantasy with tech instead of magic. Also, I like transhumanism/cyborgs/genetic engineering stuff, some AI stuff, etc. Not a big fan of aliens and spaceships.

I just finished reading the Petrovitch Trilogy by Simon Morden and it fit what I'm looking for really well. I read Altered Carbon and liked it and have read the notable stuff from the '80s and '90s as far as original cyberpunk stuff goes. Again, I'm reticent to strictly say cyberpunk so much as cyberpunk influenced, perhaps.

You could try Diamond Age, its based on earth and it has a lot of the future-urban-noir feeling that you like. Has a lot of cyberpunk elements, also deals heavily with nano-technology and robots.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
I recently read American Gods and I really did not enjoy it. I thought the idea was pretty ridiculous and it always seemed like Gaiman included so much violence and sex to hide the fact that the characters are shallow and nothing really happens that I could care about. I think there were interesting philosophical ideas concerning the nature of spirituality and religion in contemporary America but these ideas were never really fleshed out. I could really only see it being an interesting read if you are really interested in mythology, which I'm not. Now Im kind of afraid to read any China Mieville because of all the comparisons to Gaimain, is this concern justified?

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
So I read God's War on a recommendation from here and I really didn't like it. Felt like it had way too much action and violence and not enough character development and ideas. It just felt kind of shallow and YA if that makes sense.

Next I read Revelation Space which I thought was excellent. It was pretty much the opposite of God's War. Not a ton of action but packed full of ideas and so full of details that I think it would take a second read to really get all of it.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
The Forever War doesn't have huge mechs but it follows the development of power suit warfare over the course of 1000 years and really explores not only the cool aspects but also the terrifying parts of being a soldier in a future war. I would recommend it to anyone.