Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

fez_machine posted:

The Last Policeman .

I thought this was pretty decent. I mostly liked the setting. How's the rest of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm cracking up at the sale blurb for this book:

#1 BEST SELLER in Epic Fantasy
#1 BEST SELLER in Low Fantasy
#1 BEST SELLER in Dark Fantasy
#1 BEST SELLER in Sword and Sorcery
GAME OF THRONES MEETS GLADIATOR...

OVER 10,000,000 PAGES READ by Amazon Fantasy readers
BEST NOVEL 2017 (Reddit r/Fantasy nominee)
BEST DEBUT 2017 (Reddit r/Fantasy nominee)
98% LIKED IT (Goodreads)

Ease up there on the 10/10 GOTY reviews, eesh

I'd be most impressed if they had put #1 BEST SELLER in both high and low fantasy.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

I prefer Vinge's short stories & the 1-2 combination of Peace War/Marooned over Vinge's 3 Deepness series books.

Finished reading the Cordwainer Smith "The Instrumentality of Mankind" paperback short-story collection.
It was...um,.....yeah. Extremely dated, what the gently caress, ok that's amusing are the overall vibes I had when reading.
Telepathy and embedded hypnotic suggestions were the running themes of the short-story collection.

Underpeople, chinese hordes, sixth reich killbots that only understood german, 3 cryogenically frozen & launched into HEO* Nazi era girls being the progenitors
of the Instrumentality of Mankind, duck aliens being the single most delicious thing mankind has EVER encountered, 14 year old girls repeatedly being romanced by much older dudes,
hypnotic suggestion girlfriends staving off space madness, John Rambo drawing 1st blood through the 3rd dimension......were all things that happened in that short story collection.

*HEO = High Earth Orbit

Until that very last part I thought those were all parts of one story and was absolutely enthralled.