Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Just another to say Neil Gaiman's latest is exceptional and very captivating. It's a shorter book and took me about four hours to get through, but it definitely weighs on you--I came to TBB looking to see if anyone was talking about it. The only other Gaiman book I've read is Coraline (and Good Omens I guess) so I can't say I'm a huge lifelong fan or anything (definitely going to read more now though), and this book was incredibly surprising.

Arglebargle III posted:

I would like to put in a plug for Garth Nix's Sabriel. It's YA fantasy with superb pacing, just enough wold-building to intrigue without dragging things out, decent characterization and a dash of mystery. It just hangs together superbly and is a good 1-2 night read because you will be turning those pages. If you like stories about the undead and undeath that are completely original and have nothing to do with vampires or werewolves or zombies then it's a must-read. It's also very much "all ages" YA, most of the people I've talked to who have read it were adults.

Sabriel also has a sequel and a "trilogy" with the last book basically just being the end of the sequel which are good but never quite match the craftsmanship that went into Sabriel. You'll probably read them anyway and enjoy them if you like Sabriel. Nix has a lot of other YA fantasy out there but Sabriel is by far his best work.

Totally agreeing with this too, I've always loved this series. I actually ultimately prefer the second book, Lirael. The characters are fantastic and world building is great and refreshingly original in a lot of ways. Just unique, I guess, there aren't any series I'd place in exactly the same category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU