Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
Awesome OP, thank you for taking the initiative. Makes me want to get out and try all those new authors I've never read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Unkempt posted:

I found the sequel to this the other day, 'The Story of the Stone', but haven't read the first one; anyone know if you need to read them in order?

As far as I recall, you don't need to read them in order, you'll just miss out on some of the character development like why the two main characters are a team. That said, Bridge of Birds is far and away the best of the trilogy and one of the best books I've ever read.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

BlazinLow305 posted:

Redoing this post to make it more succinct. Basically I need a fantasy recommendation. Something that's a Trilogy or longer preferably. I've already read these series:

Liked: Song of Ice and Fire, Joe Abercrombie, the popular Forgotten Realms series, Dragonlance, Wheel of Time, Tolkien

Disliked: Mistborn(Didn't like how magic was explained and used), Malazan(too complicated basically), Prince of Nothing(same deal, seemed like there wasn't enough exposition to keep my interest by the first 80 pages or so, plus all the fantasy naming schemes made understanding things harder, Queen's Thief(Hate first person), Black Company(I want to say it was first person too, but seemed bad despite that)

As you can see, I'm not above reading cheesy things with elves and dwarves,etc such as Forgotten Realms(which if there's a well regarded series that's anything other than Salvatore, let me know). I just want something to get invested in and have a few books to read. As long as something is interesting about it, whether it's the world, or just the story I can deal with it being kind of bad.

You probably have plenty of recs for now, but I like almost all the same stuff you do, and I HATED Night Angel. I also really hate Jim Butcher but his writing is like a good Dragonlance novel, so maybe take a look at Codex Alera. It's like popcorn fantasy.

Now stuff I actually like:

A series that doesn't get nearly enough love is Chathrand Voyages by Robert V.S. Redick. I picked up the first book, The Red Wolf Conspiracy, and was completely blown away. It's 5 books that are nice and big so you can really get into it.

Raymond E. Feist doesn't get much love in this thread but I really like him. Magician: Apprentice is a really great introduction to his world, and the first 4 books had me totally hooked. It's then really easy to go on and read more stories set in the same world as he wrote arcs in trilogies, with a big overreaching arc over the entire 27 book series.

The Great Book of Amber. It's awesome. All 10 books together make about one LOTR omnibus. It gets a lot of love around here for good reason.

This is technically a young adult series but I recommend it to people all the time, the magic is really unique and cool: Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's also a trilogy.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

BlazinLow305 posted:

I remember dude saying start with Magician: Apprentice but other than that is there a solid time-line to follow as I read or any kind of preferred reading order with the trilogies/series to all those books?

Here is a great blog post about just that. It notes chronological order instead of publication order, which I tend to prefer. It's what I followed when I read it. I would only change one thing, which is DO NOT go on to the "Legends of the Riftwar" trilogy after finishing A Darkness at Sethanon. A Darkness was a really great conclusion to the first story arc, and going to Honored Enemy was kind of a let down. Like, I'd only recommend Honored Enemy to people who are HUGE fans of the series, a great read after you're 15 books in or so because it is light hearted and fun.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

coyo7e posted:

or what level of YA they are (I'm assuming pretty young.)

It's shelved as "middle readers" at my bookstore. I try to avoid that section like the plague.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Datasmurf posted:

So … Any tips?

Here are a few things I read and enjoyed:

As far as fantasy smut goes (I feel ya there, I love it too), I really liked the first Kushiel trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. She doesn't get much love around here but I thought the world building was great. It also went on to help me designate my own safe-word, if that gives you any clue what kind of smut we're talking about here. Start with Kushiel's Dart and go on from there.

This isn't smut but it sounds like it might be up your alley as far as strong females go. The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. It's about a girl who lived the first part of her life as a boy because reasons. I'm on the last book right now, it's been great so far.

I honestly don't read much fantasy with the general fantasy races so I can't help you there, but I'm rather curious as to what others recommend.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

specklebang posted:

I've read a lot of YA and picking the best isn't easy. But of all of them, if I could only have one on "the island", it would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_Cities
They should be read in the following order (not publication order)
Fever Crumb
A Web Of Air
Scrivener's Moon
Mortal Engines
Predator's Gold
Infernal Devices
A Darkling Plain

This is adultish YA, not for little kids. I've read them twice, something I rarely do, because they were that good and the prequel made the most sense by being read first. Author is Philip Reeves, I never read any of his other works because they seem too "young" for me. My highest recommendation (competing with THG, Uglies, Everlost and Gone - all great but this is the greatest IMHO).

Oh, well poo poo. I picked up Mortal Engines from the library assuming it would be the best place to start. Is it that big a deal? Should I send it back and get Fever Crumb?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

I just finished one hell of an audiobook (Les Miserables. It was over 60 hours long :eng99:) and I'm understandably looking to take a break from listening to books. Can anyone recommend a couple good scifi/fantasy podcasts? Or anything that is a generally awesome podcast, really. Preferably not a book club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

nessin posted:

I've been on the lookout lately for something I'm not 100% sure how to describe. Comparison wise I'm looking for more stuff like the Taltos series. Something with a core protagonist who isn't necessarily evil or good, but a solid middle ground, and isn't as weighty as Song of Ice and Fire or even something like The First Law series. Just getting real tired of the overly "good" heroes, and have given up on any kind of decent anti-hero, especially since I've been looking at a lot of books lately that have heroes that the author tries to continually present as middle of the road but end up in situations where they're always playing the knight in shining armor.

This is a bit older but maybe look at Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman. The "bad guy" has to go on a quest with the "hero" and ends up being way more awesome than anyone else. Very Chaotic Neutral. It's a trilogy, but I've only read the first one, and the magic system was really cool.