Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hedrigall posted:

Can I get a goonsensus on why I should avoid Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons? I remember there being a reason people don't like them but I can't remember what it was and I'm hearing great things about it on another forum. And I love the idea of posthumans recreating the Trojan war on Mars. It sounds loving awesome. I'm really enjoying The Terror by Simmons so far, and Hyperion will be the next book of his I tackle, but I'm wondering why people say stop there.
If the Trojan war piece geeks you out, I say go for it. I'm a Homer fan, and I think that's the reason I liked the two books more than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Gardens of the Moon is kind of a mess, but I thought Deadhouse Gates was awesome. The Mappo/Icarium and Chain of whatevers storylines are awesome.

In the spirit of Hieronymous Alloy's post, there is other 80s-90s pulp out there that I liked when I was in junior high/high school but that I haven't read since. I loved the Shannara books and Tad Williams' Memory/Sorrow/Thorn when I was a youngster, for instance. I'm not sure how terrible they would seem if I read them today.

e: Dennis McKiernan's Iron Tower Trilogy is another LOTR rip-off.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 17, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Lex Talionis posted:

Finally, there's always literary authors who (whether they admit it or not) are actually writing science fiction! 1984 and Brave New World are worth reading for their own merits even when you aren't in school any more, and more recently there's Atwood's Handmaiden's Tale and Oryx and Crake, Mitchll's Cloud Atlas, McCarthy's The Road, Calvino's Cosmicomics, and Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.
In this category, maybe Murakami's 1Q84 as well?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Cardiac posted:

For fast-moving stuff, Neal Asher and Richard Morgan is probably a good bet. Morgan is cyberpunk, while Asher is space opera.
Both got a similar fast paced writing as in Abercrombie with gritty characters.
Yeah, Morgan was my first thought. Start with Altered Carbon.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I finished that Ancillary Justice book. I thought the first half of the book was a bit of a drag. I didn't really know what was happening, what the conflict was, and or why I should care about what was happening. Second half was very good though. As far as being "progressive" or whatever, the (these are probably not spoilers, but in an abundance of caution) use of the female pronoun as the default was fine, and I didn't really notice it after the first couple of pages. When the author tried to introduce gender pronoun issues relating to different languages or dialects, it just felt kind of tacked on, overly explain-ey, and did not really seem to impact the story at all. I don't know.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 23, 2013

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Bremen posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but it was the closest I could find.

Lately I've been in the mood for a certain sort of book. Monster thrillers I guess would be the term, where there's something in the dark trying to eat you. Relic (Which I loved as a kid) would be a good example, but just any of the type of book where something in the dark is trying to eat the main characters. Would anyone have recommendations for recent books in this vein? Note that I'm not asking for great literature (possibly the opposite, in fact); just good pulpy thrillers.
The Passage by Justin Cronin?

Terror fits as well as others have noted.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

I wonder how I can put this in words: Can you guys recommend sci-fi books that have alien and/or robot characters who function like a sentient being that's not human? For example I liked in Mass Effect the alien races having their own cultures and worlds but in the end most of them are just re-skinned humans, with the exceptions of krogans going on and on about war and the asari talking about philosophical lifestyles because they live a thousand years. The Geth were the only actually different race. I'd like to read a book with intelligent life forms who are psychologically completely unlike humans. Bonus points if the life forms is based more or less on an real thing, like an ant colony or something like that.
Banks' The Algebraist, maybe?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Martian by Andy Weir comes out on Tuesday. It's a near future hard sci-fi that's basically Hatchet (Gary Paulsen's book Hatchet, not the horror movie) set on Mars with an astronaut MacGyver as the main character. It was very fun to read and I blew through it way more quickly than I usually read books.

The setup is, on one of the first manned Mars missions, something goes wrong and one of the astronauts gets stranded. The setup sounds kinda ridiculous but it gets going strong right away and sounds a lot more plausible as it's explained in the book. The majority of the book is him trying to survive alone on Mars as things go wrong and he has to MacGyver his way out of them, which as a botanist and engineer he often comes up with some pretty cool solutions that seem well grounded scientifically. The main character is a cheerfully pragmatic smartass that is also really fun to read, as the majority of the book is told in first person by him.
I felt this was terribly cheesy but I nevertheless could not put the thing down.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Lowkin posted:

I've been reading malazan the book of the fallen and I lost interest with it because it just seemed to explode in terms of what was going on and who was gaining what powers. Will I regret not sticking with it?
You probably want to stop. The narrative never really focuses. There are some cool storylines within the giant poo poo show that is that series, but you have to put up with a lot of bullshit to see them through.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah, I was not impressed with it. Some cool ideas (though maybe I'm alone in thinking the gender stuff felt a bit pointless), and if the first book is just serving as a launching point to to books where interesting things happen, then good for her (him? I think it's a her).

Other books authored by women and recommended in this thread that I've recently read:
Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - I just didn't get this. No interest in reading the remainder.
Coldfire Trilogy - This was pretty sweet. I really cruised through these.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is Dragon's Path any good?
It is fine. You can find much worse.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

fritz posted:

Don't read Dan Simmons except maybe Hyperion.
Read the Terror (at least if all those crazy artic exploration stories from the 19th century are interesting to you).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Finished reading The Fall of Hyperion tonight after finishing Hyperion a week ago. What a story. One of my favorite novels I've read in a long time; it had been on my list for years and I found both of them at the local book store here a few weeks ago.

I'm going to pick up the next two in the series, is Dan Simmons' other stuff worth checking out?
I liked the Terror (which I think is generally well regarded) as well as Ilium/Olympos (which is not).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

savinhill posted:

I just finished Daniel Abraham's new Dagger & Coin book, it was alright. There was some stuff I liked but I think my incorrect assumption that this was the final one messed with my expectations. The concept for the bad guys in this just works less and less for me the more it gets stretched out and the whole defeating them by inventing paper currency is very underwhelming and sorta nonsensical imo.
I thought the same thing (that it was the last one).

And yeah, it's serviceable.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I went kind of retro and read Tad Williams' Otherland and Southmarch series. I kind of dug Otherland. It maintained a pretty good narrative pace. The conceit gave the author the opportunity to create some interesting worlds (and some not so interesting ones).

Southmarch was pretty bad all around.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Are there any fantasy/scifi/steampunk/whatever books about explorers?
I am not sure whether it's actually in any of those genres, but maybe The Terror by Dan Simmons?

Shop of Fools by Russo is another "let's check out this strange artifact" sort of book.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

I really liked Rendezvous with Rama and I'm looking for more books that are similar. I enjoy stories that are about exploring what remains of lost alien civilizations. I prefer stories with a lot of mystery, where not everything is carefully explained, and is instead left to your imagination. As long as the mystery isn't clearly a point where the author couldn't think of something good and cool, and just wanted to get out of having to explain it.
Maybe Richard Russo's Ship of Fools.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

This book was really awesome and contained the exact kind of mystery and exploration of alien remnants that I was looking for. I finished it in one sitting because I liked it so much, this book seriously nailed it. I'm going to check out some more books that were suggested, but if anyone else knows of any books that are like this, I'd love to check them out.
I don't think any of these are quite as on point to what you described, but I liked all of the following, and they have some sort of archaelogy/alien artifact piece:
Iain Banks - Excession
RIchard Morgan - Broken Angels
Simmons - Hyperion

Michael Crichton - Sphere also involved a creepy alien artifact, but it may be terrible. It's been a long time.

Google suggests, but I haven't read or can't recall:
Silverberg's Across a Billion Years
Hogan - Inherit the Stars
McDevitt - Engines of God

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The first 15% of Library At Mount Char is good but has a lot of dumb abuse as backstory.
I'm about 25% through, and jesus, what the hell is going on.

The Gunslinger posted:

It definitely overstays its welcome and the latter half of the book feels like an entirely different story but I still ended up enjoying it somehow. I've read few books like it, the combination of quasi-historical and supernatural elements was interesting. Simmons can't end a book to save his life but I'm used to that from other authors :)
I probably would have liked it better without any supernatural elements, but I am a sucker for an artic survival (or lack thereof) story.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

flosofl posted:

This is the correct reaction.

It is a good book, keep with it.
It (Char) was a good book. A++++++++++ would read again

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh, btw, is the Shadowmarch set of books anything better?
I thought it was bad. And I kind of liked the Otherland series.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

-Troika- posted:

I could use some recommendations for more military SF to read. Relevant stuff I've already gone through and enjoyed, in no particular order:

-almost everything by David Drake
-most of S.M. Stirling's stuff
-more recently, Marko Kloos's ongoing Frontlines series
-all of John Scalzi's stuff
-a decent chunk of John Ringo's stuff, specifically excepting his cringe-inducing paladin of shadows series which I was fortunate enough to be warned about in advance
-all of Elizabeth Moon's SF and fantasy
-everything Jerry Pournelle ever
-Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen series (first book's by H.Beam Piper, the rest by John F. Carr)
-Dan Abnett's various 40k novels (excepting Titanicus which I do not own yet)

This isn't everything milSF that I have read, but it's what immediately springs to mind.
Someone recently recommended Westerfeld's Risen Empire duology here. I thought they were solid, and I think they are mil sci-fi-ish.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Finished the first book of the "Greatcoats" series by Sebastien de Castell, Traitor's Blade.

That was pretty bad.

vulturesrow posted:

This thread is really knocking it out of the park with recommendations recently so I'm going to my request in. I really really enjoyed Charles Stross's Merchant Princes series so far. Mostly because of all the economics and financial stuff it gets into. Is there anything in the same vein, sci-fi or fantasy, that touches on this sort of stuff ?
I agree with the Traitor Baru Cormorant and Dagger and Coin recommendations. The former is good, while the last is, well, not overly objectionable.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Whoever recommended the Deed of Paksennarion books, I thought they were very good.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are the Codex Alera books any good? I've liked Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, and the idea of Lost Roman Legion meets Pokémon is silly enough to work if done well, but I have my hesitations.
I guess I need to give these another shot, because I read the first one and thought it was just about the worst-written fantasy novel I've ever read, and I feel like I've read plenty of terribly written fantasy novels.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

chrisoya posted:

I'm getting the impression that this thread really doesn't like vampires.

From a few pages back, but I kind of liked Justin Cronin's The Passage books.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

blackmongoose posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant uses it all the time so it is now a thread-approved word (because TTBC is awesome)
Uh, goddam, I read the whole book thinking the term was "tribalist"

I am dumb.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good sci-fi novels that have truly weird aliens or non-Earth planets/ecosystems? I'm fine with stuff that isn't particularly "hard" sci fi. I've really liked books that are willing to let go of scientific rigor for the sake of really neat ideas. For example, I really dug the aliens in A Fire Upon the Deep (and to a lesser extent, A Deepness in the Sky), and some of the creatures in Hull Zero Three.
The Algebraist (that's the gas giant dweller book, I think)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gene Wolfe is very very good at prose style but very bad at plotting coherently.

I have a bad habit of writing down context-less recommendations from this thread, which led me to read the fifth head of Cerberus. I have no idea what is happening.

And to whoever was asking whether to bother with the fifth season after hundred thousand kingdoms, I too thought hundred thousand Kingdoms was bad. Fifth season is much better.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Thanks its definitely coldfire. I re-read it a few years back and it held up pretty well.
I read it for the first time recently, and thought it was pretty good.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I finished the southern reach trilogy. I really, really enjoyed the journey, but man, I have no idea wtf happened.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For a different reversal of that trope, I cannot recommend The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans highly enough. It starts out as somewhat schlocky 80's fantasy and just . . .turns character driven, almost by itself. Great solid little book.
I read this (assuming based on your recommendation). Pretty good read.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Alien terraforming device, for a race that has gone extinct. It is not clear whether the aliens are from outer space or another dimension, but probably the latter.

I got it at that level, but what's at the bottom of the tower, who is henry, what's the deal with Lowry' phone, what did s&sb have to do with area x, etc

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I got to say general buttbutter, the cover of the next book is fantastic.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Re sailing books, I kind of enjoyed Dan Simmons’ The Terror. Kind of an arctic exploration/ monster mash up. No Muslims make an appearance, so the crazy doesn’t shine through like it does in some others Simmons books.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

navyjack posted:

The Thousand Names by Django Wexler was pretty good, I thought
I finished this. It was OK. I didn't get in to the powder mage books at all.

I think the quality stays pretty consistent throughout, though the ending is not exactly a surprise.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Rusty posted:

I have seen it mentioned once in this thread I think, but Gnomon is a really good book, like kind of amazing. It reminds me a lot of a David Mitchell book, but maybe more dense and better writing. I'm half way through and I think about how good it is all the time. I thought Gone Away World was interesting and worth reading, but I'm not sure I think it was great, this book is different. I haven't finished it, so that could change, but I doubt it. Also, has anyone read Angelmaker (or Tigerman I guess) by Harkaway? Wondering if I should read that after liking this so much.
I have no idea wtf I read, but it was nonetheless quite enjoyable.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I'm about half way through Children of Time, am enjoying it so far, and will stay away from spoilers. But in the meantime, what is his obsession with the word "whilst"

e: I also like the David Brin callouts. I haven't read Uplift War or Startide Rising )?) since probably the early 90s. Do they hold up at all? Were they ever good?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Finished Children of Time. Best piece of lovely genre fiction I’ve read since maybe the southern reach trilogy.

He has a lot of fantasy books. Are they tolerable?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Finished Orconomics. That was not very good. A bad fantasy novel, poorly written, and the humor pieces didn't make up for it.

Reading Sweterlitsch's The Gone World now. I'm loving it - can't put it down.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I found a neat thing on reddit: Longest Fantasy Book series

Malazan - I have never felt so miserable as when I read these books. They're just so grueling and awful. Fascinating, though.

Man, I need a loving life. For books 3-8 or so, I re-read the entire series every time a new book was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Cannot freaking wait for monster Baru Cormorant. Reread the first one, still amazing.

E: tried reading a Brin uplift book (the second one) after enjoying children of time. This is a bit of a struggle.