Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
This needed a new thread? :psyduck: Okay.

In the previous thread someone mentioned a fantasy book in which royalty ruling due to divine grace gets wiped out in a revolution. Things turn sour cause the divinity thing was true. It sounded interesting, what's the name of the book?

Another question: I liked Reynolds' novel Pushing Ice a lot. Any similar sf books about people trying to colonize or survive on a comet/lifeless rock in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

ZerodotJander posted:

That was Promise of Blood, by Brian McClellan.
Thanks, that was it. I'll post my thoughts about it when I get to reading it sometime. :)

specklebang posted:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-ebook/dp/B009IEXKXI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1371767996&sr=8-1 is about an astronaut that gets left behind alone on Mars. Seems to be unavailable on Kindle for some strange reason but I own it and would be happy to loan it to you.
Too bad it's unavailable on Kindle. :( That would be really friendly, but I'm not sure how practical it'd be, since I live in Finland. Postal fees might be quite expensive.

Play posted:

Why wouldn't it? The old thread had a crappy OP, was hundreds of pages long, and was beginning to go into about the 50th cycle of the exact same thing. I'm of the humble opinion that its nice to renew things every once in a while, give people a chance to actually read the thread.

As for your request for recommendations, I would put out A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge wherein a expedition to a mysterious star system which has some very unique features faces a lot of challenges and has to adapt in order to survive and continue with their objectives. There's a lot more to it, obviously, but I've read Pushing Ice and the two books are not entirely dissimilar. I'll have a think and see if I can't bring up any more.
Yeah, I suppose. I just didn't expect this kind of topic getting a new thread, because it's a lot more timeless than some topic at Games that gets a new thread when a sequel or DLC comes out. I've never been bothered by a large number of pages either.

I read A Deepness when I was a teenager, but I didn't like it. It felt a bit out of place or I just didn't grasp it. There was too little science for a space opera in it (I had just found Alastair Reynolds and he was the model for space opera I wanted). Granted, I was a teen back then and maybe I'd like the book more now, but there's still way too many books I haven't read yet, so I doubt I'm rereading books anytime soon.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I got Perdido Street Station a few days ago and it's really, really good. The best book I probably read this year.

My only problem is that I've been watching a lot of Family Guy recently and since Isaac is described as really fat I can't stop imagining him looking like Peter Griffin.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

coyo7e posted:

I'm putting forward the idea that the majority of people who complain so vocally about this are American and raised christian or were heavily influenced by christian values on sexuality, so they get uncomfortable, regardless.

Yeah, as a Finn my reactions to sex scenes have been "aha, a sex scene" and "huh, a weird sex scene" at most, and I've read a lot of science fiction and fantasy. Which brings me to Perdido Street Station (it had the protagonist loving a bug-headed woman after all) which I finally finished.

The book was really good. It's not every day you find an author whose style you instantly like and really evokes your imagination. Perdido was the first book I've read by China Mieville and I'm eagerly waiting for the next. I'm taking a little break before that though, since I ploughed through Perdido at a much higher speed than I usually read. The book was pretty exhaustive, I think reading it came even to my dreams.

I liked how for the first 300 pages or so the reader couldn't even know what the story would be about. I think that's about when the caterpillars were introduced and the first slake-moth escaped. I dislike it when books are about "thing A" - how it is introduced, what's it about and how it's resolved. Perdido was about thing A at first (Yagharek and how to make him fly) only to turn to be about an entirely different thing about 300 pages in, thing B being the slake-moths. It makes the whole thing more believable: real life isn't about neatly organized topics either but things lead to other things.

I liked the weirdness of the book, the setting and the world. Different races were definitely original and not some slender elves and dwarves with Scottish accent. At the same time they were presented in a believable manner, which was a solid strength of the book and Mieville's writing. My favorite character was the Weaver. I like it when such a powerful, dangerous and unpredictable force happens to ally surprisingly with the protagonists.

The book also disturbed me more than fantasy usually does. The slake-moths and their effects were presented in a manner that made them appear especially dangerous and nasty. This is one of the reasons I'm not eager to dive into another Mieville book right now. I have no reason to expect he writes only "terrible monsters nobody can protect themselves against destroy people completely" kind of horror stories, but this was a pretty strong first impression. I do expect however that the world is described as just as vile and hopeless in his other books as it is in Perdido. The descriptions of filth, pollution and poverty were powerful, and the way the militia terrorized the population and broke the strike depressive to read. This kind of stuff is too strong for me to take in in too large doses too soon.

Anyway, an excellent book. One of the best I've read this year or, really, read.