Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

House Louse posted:

I thought that revelation showed Yag's cultural differences from the New Crobuzoners (there's something similar with the city garuda, and the cactusfolk, I think), though I'm not sure how it ties into the book's other concerns, or his character.

There's this, that the cultural differences between Isaac and the desert garuda make it impossible for Isaac to judge Yag by the garuda's standards ie the crime as choice theft and not as rape, but I also read his character as a bit of a piss take on the whole fantasy archetype of the mysterious noble savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

systran posted:

Speaking of Blindsight, I can't wait until the new book in that universe comes out.

Unrelated, I spent a day or two deliberating between reading China Mountain Zhang and Ancillary Justice. I ended up starting Ancillary Justice...did I make the right choice?

Haven't read the other one, but Ancillary Justice I enjoyed a lot. Really interesting take on AI, transhumanism and imperialism.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Phummus posted:

I feel like I'm out of things to read. I sit in a lab twice a week with a needle in my arm and have a lot of reading time. I like escapism.

Any recommendations on things I might like based on the lists above?

KJ Parker maybe. They write in a setting that's vaguely fantasy (sometimes not really even fantasy) notRome, with a narrator that's always somewhat cynical with dry humor.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Finished The Bone Clocks the other day. Amusingly enough, the chapter that was the most fantasy-oriented was probably the weakest part, but still a beautifully written book all around.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Book of the year for me is probably a tossup between The Revolutions or The Bone Clocks.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Station Eleven is a good runner up for me as well, almost forgot about that one.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

And occasionally because they look baller as gently caress:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rusty Kettle posted:

How are the books in the humble bundle? I have heard of one of them. Are the $15 tier books any good?

Academic Exercises makes it worth it singlehandedly imo.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I hadn't heard of KJ Parker before, but I'm really enjoying his writing. Hers? Literally just googled it and nobody knows.

Are his/her full-length novels any good?

Of their novels, I've only read Colors in the Steel, but yea, it's pretty gut punchy.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? I kind of waved over that one after not being able to finish The Revolutions but it might be worth a try. Does it actually continue the story from Half-made World?
I mean, yeah, sort-of sequel, it's about different characters, but the first book just... fizzles.

It takes place chronologically afterwards and has a few scenes with the original characters, but it's really more of a side-quel or something than a straightforward sequel. I liked it a whole lot though, it still touches on the frontier mythology of the original, but it's also really American Dream(tm)-ish.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I had suspected KJ was a guy ever since reading Academic Exercises and Colours in the Steel, but that is hysterical.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure all of the short stories from Academic Exercises are in the same world, though a lot of the details across stories are, almost certainly on purpose, not consistent.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Just finished the third Two of Swords installment, the monthly wait is going to be agonizing.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Whoever decided to release the Hannu Rajaniemi short story collection as a limited edition hardcover with no ebook version is an rear end in a top hat.

gently caress you, publishing industry.

Huh? I still see it in stock on Amazon, unless you're talking about some other short story collection he did.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kesper North posted:

It's in stock - as a physical book. I don't want a physical book. I actually dislike them.

Haha yea, fair point, I was assuming your complaint was more about the limited edition part than the no e-book part, I can definitely sympathize with that.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I just hope it's better than Reamde

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Amberskin posted:

BTW, returning to the book, it has a big WTF moment when the american Wallfacer, Tyler, goes to Afghanistan to find noone other than Ossama Bin Laden. I wonder if it is just a "gently caress you, reality" or if the chinese censorship keeps that guy from knowing that OBL is dead. Just the same with the Chavez successor, which is already in charge, but that could be interpreted as the "real" successor, since the guy in charge now in Venezuela is a freak prick who did get messages from El Comandante delivered by a tweeting bird - and it is not the blue one in the internets.

TDF was written in 2008, before bin Laden was killed.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
KJ Parker's latest thing, The Last Witness, was definitely a KJ Parker novella.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

trip9 posted:

Hey all, don't normally post in here but figured now's a good a time to start as any. Just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts. I definitely enjoyed it, as lacking in compelling characters as it was. I may get crucified for it in here, but I often find hard sci-fi authors are really loving good "idea" people, and those are often strong enough to carry me through a novel, but I'm never super emotionally invested in them. Is Echopraxia worth reading as well if I go in expecting something similar to Blindsight?

Also, does anyone have any recs for hard sci-fi that also has a really strong narrative and characters to supplement interesting ideas?

Kim Stanley Robinson. His latest, Aurora, would be a good start.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, nice, I didn't realize the fourth one was out. I wouldn't really describe it as "Lovecraft Detective", but they are fun books. Cabal is such an adorable rear end in a top hat.
As for actual Lovecraft/whodunit, there's always Shadows Over Baker Street. Mind you, the story quality... varies. But it's got A Study In Emerald which is pretty drat great.

Study in Emerald was the only one worth reading out of that whole collection imo.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Is anyone reading Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits? I'm about a third of the way in and enjoying it a lot, probably the best of his books so far.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

I think it's a loose end that he may or may not return to in a future book.

I was surprised that The Bone Clocks didn't get showered with genre awards. As A Very Important Literary Novel it's kind of a bust, but I can't imagine many in the Hugo set who wouldn't be totally on board with an exuberant doorstop thick homage to Doctor Who, Susan Cooper, John Wyndham, the new-age wackiness of the New Wave, and Doctor Who.

I really liked it overall, but the one chapter that was the most fantasy heavy part of the book was by far the weakest.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I think Baru Cormorant is on sale, you can get the hardback for the same price as an e-book.

Didn't Margaret Atwood just do one of those Wu Tang style single-print projects? A book that won't be released for a century?

If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, a bunch of authors participated in that yea, though I don't remember it having the exclusivity of the Wu-Tang album. They'll just be locked up until the time period ends, then they can be published.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

freebooter posted:

I wrote a thing about the 10 best books I read this year, 7 of which were SFF:

https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2015/12/31/top-10-books-of-2015/

Man, I guess I'm breaking out that illustrated Gormenghast I got for Christmas next then.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The worst for me was Redshirts, endless lines of "he said" "she said". The first and last Scalzi fiction I've read.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

flosofl posted:

Really? I find the exact opposite pisses me off when reading. Especially when they use -ly words, I said furiously.

The problem wasn't the lack of adverbs, it was that, at least as far as I recall, literally every line of dialogue was followed by a "X said".

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Felix Gilman used to post here as well, though I think he just drifted off more than anything.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I remember that. Half-Made World was good, though I didn't read the sequel.

Rise of Ransom City was fantastic, and his standalone The Revolutions was great as well, definitely recommend those.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

goodness posted:

Any great short stories available freely online? Working an overnight shift and need something I can read in the iPad safari browser

https://subterraneanpress.com/magazine also has a lot of good stuff.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

AEMINAL posted:

I've asked this before but here goes again:

I'm looking for some good tech heavy hard sci books. I really, REALLY enjoyed the three body problem and the quantum thief trilogies (eagerly awaiting the last three body book!) because of the dense, cool technobabble. The quantum thief trilogy had some amazing augmented fight sequences and I really adored those bits.

Any ideas of similar books worth checking out? I'm looking for kinda recent-ish books because they tend to be based on actual modern science instead of speculative stuff, and I really dig tech poo poo.

:goonsay:

Aurora is very hard scifi-ish on generation ships and interstellar travel. Not really any technobabble if that's what you want though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
All The Birds in the Sky was alright, but that cover quote it got from Chabon probably raised my expectations for it higher than they should have been.

Declare was awesome, I really need to read some more Powers.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Solitair posted:

Okay, see, it took me a while to realize what bugs you were talking about, and even then I chalked that up to a lovely coincidence or some sort of symptom of the main character's mental illness. I didn't connect the proliferation of maggots with the super-suicide hotline.

It's actually not my favorite short story I've found so far, anyway. That would either be Monkey King, Faerie Queen or Things You Can Buy for a Penny.

Fun fact: When my brother and I first played Arkham Horror, we won because we accidentally cheated. We misunderstood how the dice rolls worked, and by the time we figured out what we were doing wrong, we were already more than halfway to satisfying one win condition, so what else could we do but keep going?

I actually kind of like that game, but I still laughed once I figured out what you were referencing.

In one of the older boardgame threads, there would be this recurring thing every hundred pages or so where people would start talking about AH and realize they had been playing it wrong the whole time because they missed a rule somewhere, it was pretty great.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Oh hey, incoming sidequel to Planetfall.

https://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2016/04/coming-soon-atlas-emma-newman-sequel-planetfall/

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo, the ending of The Belly of the Bow.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

ulmont posted:

Yup. That's K. J. Parker for you.

Yea, I really should have been expecting something like that by now with how much Parker I've read, but drat. And really, it's Gorgas's response as much as the act itself.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

freebooter posted:

I virtually never give up on books but I got about 80 pages into John Crowley's Little, Big and decided it was going nowhere fast. Someone tell me I'm wrong?

I love Little, Big but yea, it's extremely dense textually and slow moving beyond that.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

pokie posted:

I am looking for a modern sci-fi novel which features interactions with strange aliens, as in not readily comprehensible. I have read most pre-'70s major authors. My favorites are PKD, Iain Banks, Alfred Bester and Larry Niven.

Most recently I have been reading Ann Leckie's Ancillary series, which has a nice emphasis on culture and world building instead of action, but gets a bit too touchy feely as the series goes on. It's nice to see a series where the dominant version of humanity has relatively little to do with Western ideals.

Blindsight/Echopraxia and Embassytown come to mind. Both are about the difficulty of communicating with or even comprehending alien life.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Amberskin posted:

I've got Blindsight in my e-reader but the word "vampires" in the summary is preventing me to read it. There is just a kind of story I hate more than one which contains vampires, and that is one which contains zombies.

Should I make an exception with this book?

There's only really one vampire featured in the story, and he might as well be an alien for how he's characterized.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Solitair posted:

Yeah, that's part of why I enjoyed it so much. Aside from Worm, which is found online and not a novel, I can't think of any other good superhero novels at the moment. Am I missing anything?

Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

AmericanGeeksta posted:

This was the main reason I loved The Quantum Thief. It grabs you by the face and unapologetically never lets go. I have never heard of the Neuromancer though, would you recommend it?

Neuromancer is a classic and is insanely influential on modern culture, you should absolutely read it.