Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The 1944 Novel and Novella nominees are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

This is the one titled "Three Kingdoms, A Historical Novel: Complete and Unabridged"?

Yes. Inconveniently, they're actually endnotes, so you have to have both books open to use them... Note that these are editors' and translator's footnotes, not part of the actual novel.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Now I'm trying to remember what that book is about former Soviet science propaganda writers finding that the future they wrote of was starting to come true. A fairly recent one, I think, that I thought sounded interesting but never got around to reading. Google isn't helping me out, anyone have any ideas?

Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts? A very cool dude.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Found a signed copy of Neveryóna at the shop down the street from me today and had to buy. Doesn't matter that I haven't read Tales of Nevèrÿon first, right?

gently caress yoooouuuuuuuuuuuu

Content:
charts of how many Goodreads reviews award-nominated f/sf novels have: https://sf.ersatzculture.com/award-charts/

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Lem's Microworlds update:

Each science-fiction writer is called the greatest master of science-fiction after one or two of (their) books have been published...

This is still true-ish, allowing for hyperbole. I looked up the novel Hugo nominees recently and was surprised to see that, across several decades, the nominees were only about half a dozen books into their career. The "elder statesmen" tended to do poorly.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Time travelling from page 616 to ask the following questions.

People were recommending Brust at that time, so I picked up the Jhereg omnibus and am on the third book.

Are the draegarens just tall elves?

They look that way, but they're actually the immature form of a type of demon.

quote:

What does a teckla look like? I know they're supposedly timid.

They're sentient mobile shrubs, you'll find out more in book 5 I think.

quote:

What does a dzur look like? I've been imagining like a carnivorous goat.

Yep.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

It's really too bad there's no way to keep track of recommendations or something. I mean someone could do it in the OP but that's a lot of work.

There's two problems on top of the amount of work. One is deciding what counts as a recommendation - is listing every time a book is recommended worthwhile? The second is that nobody seems to read the op.

Also, read James Tiptree Jr.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

You're not thinking of The Three Body Problem, are you?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Wright also made an idiot of himself by offering to give people ebooks of his newly published novels in exchange for donations. No wonder he has to publish with Castalia House now.

E: Ash is really good and it's a terrible shame it lost a major award (BSFA?) to Perdido Street Station.
E2: Oh yeah, the Clarke. Thanks!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 9, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone have any favorites of Diana Wynne Jones they can recommend? I've read Dark Lord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin, but she's written so many books I'm not sure where to look next.

Of the Chrestomanci books: Lives of Christopher Chant, Charmed Life, and Witch Week - Lives last, I think. It's more serious than the other two, and makes a good comparison to Charmed Life.

Dalemark: Cart and Cwidder is weak, but The Spellcoats and Drowned Ammet are good. I didn't get into The Crown of Dalemark.

Solos: The Ogre Downstairs (read the Greek), The Time of the Ghost, Fire and Hemlock, Hexwood, Dogsbody, Archer's Goon.

And the recommendations you already got are good, too. She wrote a lot of great stuff. Also be sure to read this autobiographical essay: https://web.archive.org/web/20120522071720/http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/autobiog.htm

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

Also since nobody else mentioned them, A Tale of Time City and Eight Days of Luke. Like, well, you can't go really wrong with Jones has been my experience. Some of her books are definitely better than others but I can't recall any that I really just didn't like, though at the time I was reading her most there were some that were out of print and hard to come by.

I don't remember A Tale of Time City well; Eight Days of Luke was OK but slight, more for children than some of her other books.

Rand Brittain posted:

Most of her later stuff was pretty weak, honestly.

I don't think I've recommended anything she wrote after about 2000. The Howl sequels were especially disappointing.

I finally read Throne of the Crescent Moon and god how was it nominated for a Hugo. It's a mess.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Were they? I honestly consider Castle in the Air one of my favorite Wynne-Joneses.

Each to her own, but I found them a disappointment after the brilliance of the original.

quote:

Regarding the Hugo question - have you seen the ballots for last couple of years?

Ah, this reminds me of the time I worked out how experienced* Best Novel nominees were. Turns out the average nominee was about five books into their career, which I found surprisingly small - there were quite a few debuts, too.

*in terms of how many books they'd previously published

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Re science fiction/fantasy cookbooks, there's a Sten one, and an Aubrey/Maturin one too.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yikes, that's terrible.

PupsOfWar posted:

GRRM trying to keep all the appetizers to himself

Rubbish, he's too busy running the losers' party. E: not a burn, it's a real thing, though of course I don't know if he's involved every year: http://fancyclopedia.org/hugo-losers-party

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 19, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Two other big ones are the heirs not caring about, or actively hating, the author or their works. I've heard this is why none of Mike Ford's books are being reprinted.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

Anybody getting any revenue from a literary estate in the first place surely has an accountant.

Hahaha. No.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

This thread's getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'm going to close it in four pages' time. Who wants to write the OP for the new one?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Science Fiction and Fantasy MegaThread 2: Literacy is Overrated

Science Fiction and Fantasy MegaThread 2: Reading Comprehension Not Required
(Love this potential thread title but it might be too long to fit/too on-point topic wise.)

You should list the thread rules from here, and the new thread will be the third sf/f thread.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Ok...here it goes.

-A lot of Big Name authors have recently been revealed as sex predators or worse. That kind of discussion is OK in here, no one published (especially your favorite authors) is without blame.

I don't mind which title you use, it's your call. I just meant it's better to have the thread rules in the OP rather than referring people to a closed thread. This last line doesn't quite make sense, though. I think you mean something more like:

-We know some Big Name authors are sex predators or worse. That kind of discussion is OK in here; there are no sacred cows.

E for content:

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Has anyone read through Naomi Novik's Temeraire books? They are, like a goon said, fairly formulaic but charming and I like them a fair bit, [/spoiler]

I liked the first five and the sixth was terrible so I dropped the series right there.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 27, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Happy to help.

General Battuta posted:

I'm without blame :shobon:

This is what I meant... The other thing was that it's hardly recent in many cases.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here read The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford? I'd never heard of it until stumbling across it in goodreads today, and historical fiction with vampires sounds... yeah, silly, but this one sounds cool. Especially when it's described like this:

It's a very unusual and ambitious book. It takes a long time for the main plot to get started, and the structure is quite disjointed; the first five chapters are essentially four short stories. And there are some bits which are so obscure as to be a fault in the telling. On the other hand, it's vivid, gory, humane, and has a pretty unusual setting. I recommend it.

You might find this useful if you've read the novel: https://eblong.com/draconc/index.html
(Oh, the Charles Williams quotations are ironic; they're from his Arthurian poetry, in which Byzantium is essentially the City of God on earth.)

Shouldn't that Star Wars reference be Star Trek, by the way?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, it's pretty much the first modern "urban fantasy" written, unless you count things like Dracula.

I'm not sure what you mean here... There's plenty of urban fantasy, similar to the stuff being published today, that came out before it.

Great news on the Susannah Clarke novel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900237&pagenumber=1&perpage=40