Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I should probably have one but I don’t. Are they actually the kind of thing real people can afford?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Of course I’ve never received any royalties either thanks to the miracles of joint accounting :v: Which is unrelated to regular accounting entirely and basically means “every book in your contract must earn out before you get royalties for any of them.”

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You’d get royalties once the royalties from the first two books covered the advance for the third.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Man if I’ve got a couple hundred bucks that’s going to the rent, not paying some guy to fill out 1040ES. I had enough recently to buy new shoes!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This might be considered blasphemy considering the thread I am in, but is the movie version of Solaris a faithful or at least good adaption? The Clooney one, I think.

No, it’s more about Space Feelings, but I like it a lot anyway

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I (finally) just finished Too Like The Lightning, which was a very roller-coaster ride for me. I went from not enjoying it to really enjoying it to kind of being bored to very curious about some of the bigger mysteries at play. How are the other two books? I'm probably going to continue with the trilogy but might take a break between books unless someone tells me they're fantastic.

They're good, in my opinion! The third one a little less so, but still very good. The twist near the end of 2 Like 2 Lightning does not make the whole story nearly as stupid and obnoxious as I feared it was going to: specifically the series does not devolve into endless cosplay philosophy sex

e: Ada Palmer should write The Good Place The Novel

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ahh the best game, and genuinely one of my favorite SF narratives in any medium. It’s an incredible deconstruction of the Independence Day archetype.

The FreeSpace Open upgrade is easier than ever, and gives you twenty years worth of bug fixes, graphical updates, and fan campaigns. The mod I worked on, Blue Planet, even comes with a remastered version of the original campaign that enables some unfinished features and improves the worst missions.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Don’t make people think about poop before even opening the thread guys

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

quantumfoam posted:

-A lot of Big Name authors have recently been revealed as sex predators or worse. That kind of discussion is OK in here, no one published (especially your favorite authors) is without blame.

I'm without blame :shobon:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers, and I'm wondering if it gets better or the payoff is worth it?

Right now the story is just spy and counter spy and counter spy spy shenanigans (that aren't really that much fun). It's kinda boring. Will the payoff of THE HORRORS HE'S SEEN be worth the read or is it gonna be some lame rear end Lovecraftian "OH poo poo MY ANCESTOR hosed A MONKEY GOD" kinda thing?

I've heard good things about the book, but honestly it's kinda boring right now. I'll push through if it gets better though.

It’s fantastic almost all the way through but if you’re not enjoying it already maybe it’s not for you.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Second person worked in Raven Tower, I’m sure it can work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I told the editor to his face the marketing sucks (sorrrrry Carl) and he very patiently explained that the point is to use simple, shareable, meme-level hooks to get attention so people will read the actual copy. I’m not sold totally but it makes a kind of sense.