Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

syphon posted:

Also, I wish they'd release a Kindle version of Pushing Ice. All of his other books are out on Kindle so I don't know why that one isn't!

Huh? It's available on both the US and the UK Kindle store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

It lists the Kindle edition as the top option for me. There's something weird going on with your Amazon account, try logging out and see if it does show up for you then.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No, I'm on .com and it shows up as "Kindle edition: $7.69" (see screenshot below for proof). It's pretty strange that it doesn't show up for you even when you're logged out, usually that fixes it.

ETA: If you can see it on the .ca or .uk sites, you can just temporarily switch over to one of those and buy it there. I do so occasionally as well when a Kindle book is only available (or cheaper) there.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 20, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

specklebang posted:

Seems to be unavailable on Kindle for some strange reason

Amazon posted:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The rights to The Martian have been sold to a major publication house. So The Martian will no longer be available for digital purchase after April 30, 2013. A print edition will be coming out in February 2014.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

systran posted:

I'm pretty sure it will be over 25 times for "lapis".

14, by my count.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

House Louse posted:

Even if people had talked about it (as I'm sure they have) it's not as if it's a used-up topic. Some topics do get repetitive but this isn't one.

FWIW, I really disagree with this. Sex and gender do seem to get brought up an awful lot in this thread (at least compared to similar threads I follow on other forums), and since neither topic interests me at all and are not what I read sci-fi for, I wouldn't mind if they got their own thread. But it's not a huge deal or anything, as is I'll just keep scrolling past all the posts about it to get to the posts about other topics.

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Anyone know any good sci-fi about the discovery of a big unidentified object and that's not written by Clarke/Reynolds/Niven?

Under the Dome by Stephen King (the titular dome being the big unidentified object).

Joramun fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 10, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Fallom posted:

What's up with the weird-rear end availability of Iain Bank's books in Kindle format? I want to continue the Culture series with Excession, but while all the other books are available that one isn't.

Just temporarily switch over to Amazon UK and grab it from there. The Kindle version is even on sale (about half off) there right now.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Oh I'd better be more careful then, because I switch back and forth all the time to take advantage of sales/discounts and price differences and such. Good to know, thanks.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Also, I'm pretty confident the best use of time travel is to ace a history assignment.

Not really, because history often gets distorted in the telling over the years, decades and centuries, and is always an interpretation of whomever recorded it and passed it along, so history tests probably don't reflect the real history very or entirely accurately. So if you'd go check for yourself what the correct answer is, you'd be correct in terms of the actual history and truth, but still might get an F on the test because is not the "correct" answer according to the answer sheet, due to the history and telling of it getting distorted since the original event happened.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I personally always thought the robots in Asimov's Robot series (and some of the Foundation books) had an interesting inhuman feel to them. I mean in many cases they're made to look like humans but they always have this ~otherness~ to them that is pretty subtle and vaguely creepy. There's a particular robot of some importance that shows up here and there whose perspective is particularly chilling, but you need to read pretty much every book he wrote to really get the pay-off.

Can someone who knows what the bold part is referring to lift the veil a bit more on this? Or point me to the specific passage in the books? It sounds pretty cool/interesting.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I went to look for some decent longform fantasy debuts by women from 2013 but it is actually surprisingly tough, someone point me at what I'm missing (if there's anything :( )

The Golem and the Jinni was astounding.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Lynch/Gentlemen Bastards seems to have psychic problems

Yes, sometimes he accidentally starts levitating

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Where do you guys go for podcasts on fantasy/horror lit?

PodCastle, Drabblecast, Escape Pod.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Maybe it's just me but I really wish this thread was more about the actual books rather than writers' politics and awards gossip for pages on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

mdemone posted:

I'd love a Dhalgren thread since there's a lot to glean and any one reader only catches half or less. I think we could all help each other appreciate it even more.

We could nominate it for the next Awful Book (a.k.a. the book club most desperately in need of a name change) of the month.