Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

Libriomancer by Jim Hines. Less derivative of Dresden Files than Iron Druid, but more or less as fluff-y. It's alright.

Speaking of Jim C. Hines, I whole heartedly recommend his Princess Series. A fantasy series of 4 novels, it is based around Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. He takes the inspiration for the characters and stories more from the original fairytales, but there could be some inspiration from the Disney versions, it has actually been a while since I read them, but Hines definitely puts his own spin on their stories and characters. The 4 books are, in order, The Stepsister Scheme, The Mermaid's Madness, Red Hood's Revenge, and The Snow Queen's Mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a fantasy novel or series that is relatively optimistic? I'm just not very into the whole GRRM grim-and-gritty-'realism' schtick. If you don't mind a bit of a rant, I like my fantasy to be, well, fantasy. I already know people suck, I'd like to get away from that for a while. I've tried reading the Wheel of Time series and didn't like it very much. I also like urban fantasy quite a bit - I've read the Dresden Files, Rivers of London, Felix Castor, the Rook, and some others.
Now I don't mean to imply I dislike it when bad things happen, I'm ok with horrific destruction so long as it's treated with gravitas and anguish and it all ends on a somewhat upbeat note.
From earlier up on the page:

Food Guy posted:

Speaking of Jim C. Hines, I whole heartedly recommend his Princess Series. A fantasy series of 4 novels, it is based around Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. He takes the inspiration for the characters and stories more from the original fairytales, but there could be some inspiration from the Disney versions, it has actually been a while since I read them, but Hines definitely puts his own spin on their stories and characters. The 4 books are, in order, The Stepsister Scheme, The Mermaid's Madness, Red Hood's Revenge, and The Snow Queen's Mirror.

There are some darker points in this series, but overall it doesn't go anywhere near grimdark, with the exception of one particular part, but it is treated with the appropriate gravitas required.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Scoofles posted:

Can somebody recommend me a fantasy series that has decent female characters in? They don't have to be the protagonist but it would be nice if they were. I'm not really interested in fantasy romance books, but romance as a part of a bigger story is cool. I have previously read the Mistborn series and really liked them, and I remember liking Trudi Canavan's Magicians Guild series although I read them ages ago so I forget a fair bit about them. It doesn't have to be magic stuff though, I'm open to anything. I like war, politics, quests, whatever! I've also never read any sci-fi before either so I'm totally up for giving that a try too.

Once again, I'll recommend Jim C Hines's The Princess Series. I would also recommend reading any of Tamora Pierce's series, but I personally have a soft spot for her Protector of the Small series and The Immortals series, both have strong female characters, without falling into Strong Female Character territory.