Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013
I recently read the original Dune series by Frank Herbert and I see that there have been a number of prequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson. I was wondering if these prequels are worth the read or do people think they don't stand up to the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

General Battuta posted:

They are spectacularly awful.

Thanks for the advice - I guess they are worth missing then. This does leave me with the problem of what to read next. I have been feeling pretty uninspired recently. Are there any new/ up and coming Sci-Fi authors people would recommend?

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Yes, loads. How new are you talking? If you mean new-new, then in the long form, people are fond of Hannu Rajaniemi and Ekaterina Sedia. If you're willing to read short, I'd push Yoon Ha Lee. You should pick Ted Chiang's collection 'Story of Your Life And Others' even though it's not that new.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will start with Ted Chiang. Always happy to get recommendations