Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Throwing in more love for Gaiman's newest (honestly surprised there isn't a Gaiman thread, really). I've been a fan for quite some time, but was actually a little off-put by how short it was when it arrived in the mail. The prose styling is very simple, more along the lines of his children's novels than his adult work, but once you start to "get it," the book really hits a stride. He says a lot without needing a ton of difficult wording, and it fits the narrative of a young boy. It's not a huge novel with a grand scope, but it is very effective at what it sets out to accomplish. Gaiman's really hit home with his concept here.

Think of it more along the lines of Coraline, but with a few segments that are maybe a little too adult or scary for younger readers. There are a ton of Gaiman staples in it for long-time fans, as well. I'm not sure I would quite put it above American Gods or Neverwhere, but looking back, I think I enjoyed it more than Anansi Boys. A very satisfying read after a nearly decade wait for a new adult novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU