Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I am looking for recommendations on basically any fantasy that is either a single book or so self-contained that I could read the first book in a series without needing to immediately go into the next part. I tend to try to mix up genres and move from fiction to non-fiction so I don't want to get caught up in a series, especially one that is extremely long. I recently read the Colour of Magic since it was on a Kindle Daily Deal and, just as I feared, it ended on a total cliff-hanger with no resolution (although I have heard that the second book does wrap up this particular story). I would prefer swords & sorcery - either high or low - since I don't get enough of that in my reading diet, but I am fairly open in my reading tastes and can find enjoyment in anything. I have followed the flow-chart above and it seems like Stardust by Neil Gaiman is one of the few that matched my criteria. I am pretty set on sci-fi, so don't need any recommendations there. Some fantasy I have read and enjoyed:

Series (just for reference): Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire

Single books: The Princess Bride, A Bridge of Birds, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, American Gods, Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon, The Once and Future King. I also really enjoyed Kelly Link's short story collections, they are kind of modern feminist fairy tale/fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Play posted:

One more: try the short stories of Paolo Bacigalupi in Pump Six and Other Stories.

If those don't do it for you tell us why and we'll endeavor to help you further!

I already read Pump Six and loved it, so it sounds like we have similar tastes. Like I said I tend to switch up a lot so it will take a while before I get through all of these recommendations but I will be sure to update what I liked/didn't like when I get to them. Also thanks to andrew smash, Azathoth, House Louse, and savinhill for the recommendations, these should tide me over for awhile!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Something I've wondered about the City and the City. The idea has been done before by Jack Vance. Two cities co-existed in the same spot. Those wearing one colour could not see those of the other colour, and were shocked by the revelation when some of their number were disrobed. Mieville was aware of this story, surely? He may have commented on it, I don't like his work that much so I don't follow his interviews. I found the book kind of boring.

He mentions it briefly in this interview: http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/unsolving-city-interview-with-china.html

quote:

I should say, also, that with the whole idea of a divided city there are analogies in the real world, as well as precursors within fantastic fiction. C. J. Cherryh wrote a book that had a divided city like that, in some ways, as did Jack Vance. Now I didn’t know this at the time, but I’m also not getting my knickers in a twist about it. If you think what you’re trying to do is come up with a really original idea—one that absolutely no one has ever had before—you’re just kidding yourself.

I liked The City and the City a lot, I especially enjoyed it as sci-fi/fantasy where nothing actually supernatural was going on at all, it was just the bizarre customs of these two cities. I thought it blended the police drama pretty well with the setting exploration, and managed to make it intriguing well emphasizing how mundane it was to the characters at the same time.